• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nuclear blackmail

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
What should the west do in this situation:

Fact: "“We will provoke the collapse of the Russian economy,” French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire told a local news channel on Tuesday."

Hypothetical: Putin tells the west to end its strongest sanctions or he will launch nuclear weapons at Europe and the US, not caring about the response. Our best estimates are that he means it.

What should the west do?

Fact: "“We will provoke the collapse of the Russian economy,” French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire told a local news channel on Tuesday."

Hypothetical: Putin tells the west to end its strongest sanctions or he will launch nuclear weapons at Europe and the US, not caring about the response. Our best estimates are that he means it.

What should the west do?
call Putin to tell him we are going to defcon 3.

start wargame activities in poland and the baltic states.

make it known to him we are not playing ****ing games.

part of the reason I feel this is happening is that we have grown too ambiguous in our responses since the cold war.

both Russia and china need to realize WE are the ones who can ruin entire generations if we choose to due to their actions.

Last edited:

What should the west do?
You actually think your scenario is realistic? 🤪

You actually think your scenario is realistic? 🤪

After four years of Donald Trump and now this, I am coming to realize that there is nothing that is unrealistic when it comes to crazy strongmen in power. Who would have ever thought it was realistic to think that a sitting US president would incite insurrection after losing an election?

Actually, trying to understand Putin‘s state of mind right now is the top priority for US intelligence. It is not at all clear that he is mentally stable at this point.

What should the west do?
Nuke him first.

Plan for the worst hope for the best and be ready to respond with full force

After four years of Donald Trump and now this, I am coming to realize that there is nothing that is unrealistic when it comes to crazy strongmen in power. Who would have ever thought it was realistic to think that a sitting US president would incite insurrection after losing an election?

The riot was more dramatic, but I think what was worse was the legal plan to actually overturn the election, which the riot could not do; and that most Republican officials PARTICIPATED IN AND SUPPORTED the overthrow of the election, most Republican in Congress voting not to accept the electors, the key Republican state legislatures being willing to supply alternate electors, and now Republican candidates willing to miscount the next election's votes.

What should the west do?

You have to include other parts of the hypothetical:

1) Blackmailing Europe and other businesses into continuing to buy their petrol, and
2) Profiting from the sales of that petrol, Russia continues to amass a war chest thereby allowing them to carry out more invasions.

Now answer...what should the West do?

After four years of Donald Trump and now this, I am coming to realize that there is nothing that is unrealistic when it comes to crazy strongmen in power.
Yeah, we’re definitely living in strange/scary times.

A couple of years ago, I doubt even most intel folks would’ve predicted Putin would act so irrationally and recklessly.
Who would have ever thought it was realistic to think that a sitting US president would incite insurrection after losing an election?
And that more than a year later, the majority of his party would still be bowing at his feet.
Actually, trying to understand Putin‘s state of mind right now is the top priority for US intelligence. It is not at all clear that he is mentally stable at this point.
Of course. Putin’s current actions are not at all in line with his history of mostly predictable crafty opportunism.

What should the west do?

you would think by now there would be technology available to shoot down ICBMs. The idea was 40 years ago, the technology has to be here by now

you would think by now there would be technology available to shoot down ICBMs. The idea was 40 years ago, the technology has to be here by now
Seems it's not. But what would be the effect of Russia's 6000 bombe exploding anywhere in the world?

The trouble is that shooting down ICBMs is inherently extremely challenging due to the massive velocities and distances involved, and your failure rate has to be zero. Failure to stop even one percent of the missiles is still the end of your country, and nothing is anywhere near 99% reliable against something moving mach 20.

For a limited nuclear attack the US has a defense for it. A massive attack with lots of missiles and warheads no. A lot will get through.

As a side note, that limited defense would encourage the US to strike first hopefully destroying the majority of its enemies nukes ( ie In this case Russia) and trusting the missile defense systems to destroy the limited nukes being launched in retaliation.

For a limited nuclear attack the US has a defense for it. A massive attack with lots of missiles and warheads no. A lot will get through.

As a side note, that limited defense would encourage the US to strike first hopefully destroying the majority of its enemies nukes ( ie In this case Russia) and trusting the missile defense systems to destroy the limited nukes being launched in retaliation.
Speaking as someone who lives in the only country between Russia and the USA, I'd like to go on record opposing a nuclear exchange between them.

Speaking as someone who lives in the only country between Russia and the USA, I'd like to go on record opposing a nuclear exchange between them.
I don't blame you. Boris could never target worth shit. The chance of short rounds is significant in anything military that Boris does.

Where do you guys think this is headed? (That's rhetorical).

Putin knows his life is over if he's driven from power.

We know that a military conflict escalates to nuclear war so we can't do it.

The sanctions are intended to create so much pressure they drive him from power.

So when a military conflict would escalate to nuclear war, is Putin just going to happily get driven out of power and lose everything from sanctions? Or is he going to defend himself with the last weapon he has?

I'm not predicting the nuclear blackmail - there are various scenarios - but I am saying it's very plausible. When has a nuclear leader ever been driven from power? Would Saddam have protected himself? Qadafi? Hitler? Why wouldn't Putin?

Where do you guys think this is headed? (That's rhetorical).

Putin knows his life is over if he's driven from power.

We know that a military conflict escalates to nuclear war so we can't do it.

The sanctions are intended to create so much pressure they drive him from power.

So when a military conflict would escalate to nuclear war, is Putin just going to happily get driven out of power and lose everything from sanctions? Or is he going to defend himself with the last weapon he has?

I'm not predicting the nuclear blackmail - there are various scenarios - but I am saying it's very plausible. When has a nuclear leader ever been driven from power? Would Saddam have protected himself? Qadafi? Hitler? Why wouldn't Putin?
Because a nuclear strike does not protect him. Its that simple.

Ukraine will not stop resisting. So Putin can take it but he can't hold it. The west will keep up the pressure on Putin until his own people take him down. Remember if was not the west that took Gorbachev out. The west simply set up dynamics inside the Soviet Union that led to Gorbachev being overthrown. They will offer Putin a dacca full of prostitutes to keep him occupied and that will be that.

I don't blame you. Boris could never target worth shit. The chance of short rounds is significant in anything military that Boris does
Canada has military targets that would be taken out in a nuclear war, Norad installations for instance

Canada has military targets that would be taken out in a nuclear war, Norad installations for instance
And if a nuclear missile gets intercepted, well,

Back
Top Bottom