• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NSA spied on Martin Luther King.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
The National Security Agency eavesdropped on civil rights icon Martin Luther King and heavyweight boxer Muhammad Ali as well as other leading critics of the Vietnam War in a secret program later deemed "disreputable," declassified documents revealed.

The six-year spying program, dubbed "Minaret," had been exposed in the 1970s but the targets of the surveillance had been kept secret until now.

The documents released Wednesday showed the NSA tracked King and his colleague Whitney Young, boxing star Ali, journalists from the New York Times and the Washington Post, and two members of Congress, Senator Frank Church of Idaho and Senator Howard Baker of Tennessee.

The declassified NSA historical account of the episode called the spying "disreputable if not outright illegal.".....snip~

NSA spied on Martin Luther King
AFP – 4 hrs ago

NSA spied on US Senators too. Which one of those Seantors was Frank Church.....who was responsible for limiting the NSA in the first place. Which came about after Church busted them out for going after him.

The NSA was shut down in 1973.....I doubt they could get any to do that today. Most would have thought the NSA would have spied on King and Malcohm X.

NSA spied on US Senators too. Which one of those Seantors was Frank Church.....who was responsible for limiting the NSA in the first place. Which came about after Church busted them out for going after him.

The NSA was shut down in 1973.....I doubt they could get any to do that today. Most would have thought the NSA would have spied on King and Malcohm X.

I look at the NSA like I would a gun or other tool. When used properly it can yield very useful results, but in the wrong hands it can be used for horrible purposes. There is a use for it, but I feel in our partisan atmosphere we have, it needs to be limited.

I look at the NSA like I would a gun or other tool. When used properly it can yield very useful results, but in the wrong hands it can be used for horrible purposes. There is a use for it, but I feel in our partisan atmosphere we have, it needs to be limited.

Yea we wouldn't want a President to wield the IRS and the NSA like the Gestapo or anything :roll:

Looks like it needed to be limited back then. Church was a Democratic Senator and Baker a Repub. So even back then they were watching both sides of the Aisle.

Course they are saying there was more use with the NSA during NAM and that the levels seen today don't measure up to then. Which I really don't believe that with more population and more involved into political issues.

Looks like it needed to be limited back then. Church was a Democratic Senator and Baker a Repub. So even back then they were watching both sides of the Aisle.

Course they are saying there was more use with the NSA during NAM and that the levels seen today don't measure up to then. Which I really don't believe that with more population and more involved into political issues.

True, but again, it's a tool and it's how you use it. Some will use it for bad, but I don't fault the NSA as a tool though I fault the people abusing it. It's actually a very good program if used right.

How is this news? I heard about some of his phone calls being tapped by the FBI when I was in highschool a few years back.

True, but again, it's a tool and it's how you use it. Some will use it for bad, but I don't fault the NSA as a tool though I fault the people abusing it. It's actually a very good program if used right.

I can see keeping the NSA and getting rid of Homeland Security.....now that's where the waste is.

How is this news? I heard about some of his phone calls being tapped by the FBI when I was in highschool a few years back.

The six-year spying program, dubbed "Minaret," had been exposed in the 1970s but the targets of the surveillance had been kept secret until now.....snip~

Heya VB. :2wave: They are saying it made the news due to who the targets were. ;)

I can see keeping the NSA and getting rid of Homeland Security.....now that's where the waste is.

True, I have no problem with HLS going bye bye.

Breaking news:

NSA spied on George Washington before he became a general. Links to follow.

True, I have no problem with HLS going bye bye.

Funny thing.....it was a Democrat back then. That set legislation in Motion to limit and curtail the NSA. I never knew they got rid of the program in 73. Course I was a bit occupied at the time to hear anything much in the news then.

Was this perhaps somehow related to what Ike was warning about?

I read an article once a few years ago written by Ike's old speech writer. He said that Ike wanted to call it the Military Industrial Scientific Complex, but the writer shortened it to just MIC.

Certainly the tail is wagging the dog these days, and that's rather old news. :(

Back
Top Bottom