• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NRA's National Database of Gun Owners [W:90]

So? And this has something to do with the thread? Public Safety is not a private organizations problem if they are within the law. If it is within the law, it is assumed to be relatively safe.

Now if you have something that has to do with the NRA registry?
Your comment that the NRA "has no governmental authority at all" was hyperbole and wrong. The NRA keeps a score card on every politicians voting record and if they vote against the NRAs agenda, the NRA floods the politicians home district propaganda and a smear campaign which the politician has little or no means to defend against and they lose the election and is replaced with an NRA loyal member. So to say the NRA has no governmental authority at all is a lie. In fact, it has too much.

Your comment that the NRA "has no governmental authority at all" was hyperbole and wrong. The NRA keeps a score card on every politicians voting record and if they vote against the NRAs agenda, the NRA floods the politicians home district propaganda and a smear campaign which the politician has little or no means to defend against and they lose the election and is replaced with an NRA loyal member. So to say the NRA has no governmental authority at all is a lie. In fact, it has too much.

The NRA is not a government agency and has no more power than any other group or citizen to lobby congress, period.

So you might want to crack a book on governmental power and responsibility vs the private sector.

The only lie here is your post due to a lack of understanding the law.

The govt has no legal power to confiscate all guns, but people fear it just the same.

A central database of gun owners would be useful for a govt that wants to confiscate everyone's guns.

Do you think a govt that would confiscate everyone's guns even though it doesn't have the legal power to do so would balk at confiscating the NRA's list of gun owners simply because it doesn't have the legal power to confiscate the list?

Yes, the government most certainly has the power to confiscate guns. They don't currently have legal footing, but all it would take is a change in the laws. They've been skirting around the constitution for quite some time, and the constitution doesn't always stop them. It would take awhile, and a good bit of legal wrangling, but they are the ultimate wielders of power. The NRA has no such legal power or authorization.

It's funny in the 80's it was the Jewish lobby. In the 90's it was big oil and today we have the NRA. It never ends with some liberals (mostly progressives) wanting to create the bogeyman out of someone or something they want to demonize.

Find me one person they gathered info on, and did anything with it. Unlike our government.
Just like buying anything, when you buy a gun. You get ads and offers for magazines and clubs in the mail.
After I bought my last new car, I get crap in the mail every few weeks.
How do I know if the government didn't get their information from the NRA?

Because as I have had to say way to many times...

All the information the NRA has gathered is from freely available public records.

I guess reading the thread is to much to ask these days?

No kidding. And I am sure GE, Ford and Apple knows who is buying there televisions, cars and ipads. A company would not be successful for long if they did not know what the customer wanted.
The NRA is the propaganda and lobbying arm of the gun manufacturers. So to say they don't know who owns their guns is wrong. They have a pretty good idea who owns them from the serial number on their guns and the local which the gun is sold if not the actual name and address of the gun owner. Got any more hyperbole?

Every gun sold in almost every state has a background check done. Who do you think they are calling while you are waiting? That be the G.

The NRA is the propaganda and lobbying arm of the gun manufacturers. So to say they don't know who owns their guns is wrong. They have a pretty good idea who owns them from the serial number on their guns and the local which the gun is sold if not the actual name and address of the gun owner. Got any more hyperbole?

So? The NRA knows I own guns. Gee, I guess they know now why I joined.

The NRA is not a government agency and has no more power than any other group or citizen to lobby congress, period.
They don't need to be a government agency when they can control the congress and the senate by fixing the elections to their benefit.

So you might want to crack a book on governmental power and responsibility vs the private sector.

The only lie here is your post due to a lack of understanding the law.
You might want to stop being so hyperbolic and fallacious.

So what? And the Jewish lobby is a tool of the state of Israel, and big oil is well for big oil! Nothing illegal and has again NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NRA LIST. No hyperbole, just the truth. On top of that please point out where I said they don't know who owns there guns? I said the exact opposite!

Either stay on topic or I will just stop responding to your pots which up to this point have been nothing more than emotional blather based on opinion and not the law.

Every gun sold in almost every state has a background check done. Who do you think they are calling while you are waiting? That be the G.
So one database--and that's any database that could be stolen by anyone or organization--is better than another one? I'm sorry but just on the theft element alone I do not see your point. :shrug:

So? The NRA knows I own guns. Gee, I guess they know now why I joined.
So? The NRA knowing who owns what guns is the point of discussion. Gee whiz.

So one database--and that's any database that could be stolen by anyone or organization--is better than another one? I'm sorry but just on the theft element alone I do not see your point. :shrug:
That is the dangers of the information age.

They don't need to be a government agency when they can control the congress and the senate by fixing the elections to their benefit.

You mean like other lobbies did for Obama? And countless other Democrat politicians? Please stop with the nonsense.

You might want to stop being so hyperbolic and fallacious.

And you might want to actually use facts and the law. Emotional ranting is what your posts have amounted to.

Folks what do you think? Is it safe for the National Rifle Association to be keeping a list of "tens of millions" of gun owners without their consent? Are not databases dangerous to gun owners? And can that database the NRA keeps in their Virginia Offices be easily swiped?

How The NRA Built A Massive Secret Database Of Gun Owners

when the NRA starts demanding guns be banned then we will start worrying. Is the point of your post to

1) say its ok for scum bag politicians to have this information to

2) pretend the NRA is bad

3) or to justify the government doing the same thing

4) demanding the NRA safeguard it

No, all it has to do is confiscate the NRA's db

So you are saying the government does not have the power to confiscate guns, but somehow they do have the power to confiscate an irrelevant database they can easily attain since it is free and open to the public? Interesting.

I must say that I too am alarmed when I read this tidbit. All the NRA talks about is how dangerous it is to gun owners for a gun registry to exist. So what do they do? They make one. :confused:

most people with common sense understand its dangerous for an organization that seeks to ban guns to have such a list. that's the main issue.

If you are in a divorce its fine for YOUR attorney to know what your financial records are.

ITS not good for your ex's attorney to have that information

I see your point, but don't you think it would be a little different if Samsung was promoting the belief that the govt wanted to ban refrigerators?

if the government's leader and if the senators from the two most populous states called for refrigerator bans than Samsung might have a point

So what? And the Jewish lobby is a tool of the state of Israel, and big oil is well for big oil! Nothing illegal and has again NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NRA LIST. No hyperbole, just the truth. On top of that please point out where I said they don't know who owns there guns? I said the exact opposite!

Either stay on topic or I will just stop responding to your pots which up to this point have been nothing more than emotional blather based on opinion and not the law.
So what? This discussion is about the NRA's data base and your hyperbolic fallacious hissy fits aren't helping your argument.

So you are saying the government does not have the power to confiscate guns, but somehow they do have the power to confiscate an irrelevant database they can easily attain since it is free and open to the public? Interesting.

You have to put words in my mouth because you can't refute the words I actually posted

I said that a govt that would ignore the law in order to confiscate guns would not hesitate to ignore the law and confiscate the NRA's list

There's a reason why Al Queda doesn't keep a central db of it's members

And you have to think for a moment. Why should the government make one to use when the NRA's will do just fine. :cool:

The NRA does not have a list of what guns people own. It has a list of people who have taken CCW classes. Just as the government does-it has a list of those who have carry permits. Big difference

The NRA has quite a powerful lobbying arm and they help write a lot of the gun legislation that benefits the gun manufacturers.

why do the anti gun extremists think that its a useful ploy to claim that the NRA benefits gun makers?

Back
Top Bottom