• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NPR Fires News Analyst [Juan Williams] After Remarks About Muslims

Do you agree with Juan Williams's firing?

• Total voters
but i'm not surprised you find NPR boring.

I find most of what NPR broadcasts to be suitable fare for elitist eggheads who think they are better than everyone else. kinda like Opera and ballet. :shrug:

then you clearly have NOT listened to NPR. they have great programs that have absolutely nothing to do with politics. in fact, most of their programming is not political. but i'm not surprised you find NPR boring.

No one's going to argue that The Splendid Table is political, or Car Talk, or some (but not all) of the other weekend shows. But during the week, it's mostly political.

If you don't know that, then perhaps you have not listened much yourself.

No surprise - the platform of support for diversity making sure than thought diversity is shut down.

This whole thing about Juan Williams is ridiculous, but I would expect nothing less from the communist National Propaganda Radio station.

Juan has just discovered that calling himself a liberal is not the same today as it was 30 years ago.

You do know NPR is not run by all liberals and commies, dontcha?

Looks like he got the axe:

This is sad. It is what happens when people poison the atmosphere. This whole Musilm debate is toxic on all sides. Shame. And too bad NPR wasn't big enough to stand up to one side of the toxicity.

"Schiller also said Williams had veered from journalistic ethics several times before Monday's comments."

Is he alone in this?

Last edited:
NPR....They have great programs that have absolutely nothing to do with politics. In fact, most of their programming is not political...

Actually, I find NPR News to be quite enlightening at times. I've listened to news stories on their program that where far more informative than many mainstream news outlets carrying the same storylines. I'm not surprised, however, that many people (mostly Conservatives) consider NPR to be a liberal news agency. What's interesting about placing that label on them is it's "National Public Radio". The "public" in this case means that the People fund the broadcasting. And aren't Republicans/Conservatives the ones who constantly claim that the power should rest with "the People?" And as such where public broadcast media is concerned, shouldn't NPR News be considered the truiest form of exercising "free speech in broadcast journalism"?

Just saying...

Last edited:
You do know NPR is not run by all liberals and commies, dontcha?

Of course, every radio station has some token conservatives out of deference to diversity.

Actually, I find NPR News to be quite enlightening at times. I've listened to news stories on their program that where far more informative than many mainstream news outlets carrying the same storylines. I'm not surprised, however, that many people (mostly Conservatives) consider NPR to be a liberal news agency. What's interesting about placing that label on them is it's "National Public Radio". The "public" in this case means that the People fund the broadcasting. And aren't Republicans/Conservatives the ones who constantly claim that the power should rest with "the People?"

Just saying...

The power isn't with the people on what is broadcast on NPR. Their money is forced out of our pockets and what say do we have?

I think this article from YahooNews sheds some light on the matter.

actually, it does shine some light. for example, it shine a light on how liberal pundits like sullivan are hypocrits

he Atlantic's Andrew Sullivan wrote Wednesday morning that Williams' statement about fearing Muslims on planes is an example of bigotry. "What if someone said that they saw a black man walking down the street in classic thug get-up," Sullivan wrote. "Would a white person be a bigot [if] he assumed he was going to mug him?"

Jesse Jackson said:
"There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery—then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

i await utero-detective sullivan's denunciation of jesse jackson as an anti-african-american bigot :roll:

The power isn't with the people on what is broadcast on NPR. Their money is forced out of our pockets and what say do we have?

Really, Mellie? NPR puts a gun to the head of their donors or enacts a court order against same in order to get their "contributions"? Really?

NPR works just as your local PBS station. They accept charitable contributions (donations) for "listener supported" news broadcasting. How is that "forcing money" out of people's pockets. Contributors may not have a say in what stories NPR covers, but the fact that people volunteer their funds to support their journalism must mean people find them informative and credible.

Really, Mellie? NPR puts a gun to the head of their donors or enacts a court order against same in order to get their "contributions"? Really?

NPR works just as your local PBS station. They accept charitable contributions (donations) for "listener supported" news broadcasting. How is that "forcing money" out of people's pockets. Contributors may not have a say in what stories NPR covers, but the fact that people volunteer their funds to support their journalism must mean people find them informative and credible.

NPR and PBS are funded partially by taxpayer money, not just donations.

Some of their funding, 10%, comes from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting which is federally funded.

I am a liberal, and I am canceling my subscription/pledge to a local public radio station. I know it's not fair, but hey -- life isn't.

KPCC will pay the price for carrying NPR.

NPR has some great content. But this bs has got to stop. Fire management.

Oh, that's not enough. You have show what he did, in what context, and how it specifically violates journalistic ethics.

And yes, the burden IS on YOU to do these things, as it was YOUR claim.

Oh golly gee willikers, Opie! Howzabout I have the NPR CEO tell you exactly what journalism ethics had to do with it?

First interview with NPR CEO Vivian Schiller on Juan Williams firing | Radio & TV Talk

Excerpts:

"we expect our journalists, whether they are news analysts or reporters to behave like journalists."

“If you want to be a political activist, you may not also be a reporter or news analyst for NPR.”

"People have strong opinions and professional journalists have developed procedures and standards and practices to counter them. It’s to draw a fine line between reporter and commentary and punditry.”

Kinda just like I said above. Schiller fired him for continued ethics problems...working at Faux wasn't what he did wrong. He evidently knew as much about being a real journalist as others in this thread. Screwed pooches result.

Regards from Rosie

Oh golly gee willikers, Opie! Howzabout I have the NPR CEO tell you exactly what journalism ethics had to do with it?

First interview with NPR CEO Vivian Schiller on Juan Williams firing | Radio & TV Talk

Excerpts:

"we expect our journalists, whether they are news analysts or reporters to behave like journalists."

“If you want to be a political activist, you may not also be a reporter or news analyst for NPR.”

"People have strong opinions and professional journalists have developed procedures and standards and practices to counter them. It’s to draw a fine line between reporter and commentary and punditry.”

Kinda just like I said above. Schiller fired him for continued ethics problems...working at Faux wasn't what he did wrong. He evidently knew as much about being a real journalist as others in this thread. Screwed pooches result.

Regards from Rosie

Shame on anyone who supports NPR management's actions. The management is NOT public radio. - from a dedicated liberal

I am striking back: http://www.debatepolitics.com/off-topic-discussion/84059-hurt-npr-101-a.html#post1059053058

George Soros just gave a bunch of money to NPR. He's on a mission to get Fox News off the air. Juan is employed at Fox News. Logical conclusion.

It's not at all logical, it's a biased opinion. Which is quite silly, nobody can get FOX News off the air. But when Murdoch is gone, I'll bet his heirs will moderate the channel quite a bit. First thing they will do is get rid of Roger Ailes, they don't like him.

Excerpts:

Regards from Rosie

:roll:

No.

I want YOU to explain EXACTLY what he did which violated journalistic ethics. In detail. It's a simple request, and if it's such an open-and-shut case, it should be no problem for you.

That it IS such a problem for you tells us everything we need to know.

What's the problem? He still has a job at Fox doesn't he?

The problem that I have, is that Jaun's 1st Amendment rights were violated and there needs to be an investigation.

It's not at all logical, it's a biased opinion. Which is quite silly, nobody can get FOX News off the air. But when Murdoch is gone, I'll bet his heirs will moderate the channel quite a bit. First thing they will do is get rid of Roger Ailes, they don't like him.

What happens to a TV station when all of their sponsors leave?

Not that I care about Williams, but that still wouldn't be censorship. he's still free to say what he wants to say. He can still say it on Fox. Not making any case about his firing being right or wrong. It just isn't censorship.

It is definitely censorship. That he might be able to find an outlet that does not censor him does not mean he was not censored.

then you clearly have NOT listened to NPR. they have great programs that have absolutely nothing to do with politics. in fact, most of their programming is not political. but i'm not surprised you find NPR boring.

I think most of the non news shows also have a pretty clear worldview. Some of them are great shows too. This American Life for example deserves all the awards it has won, but when a political bent shows through it is virtually always left.

The problem that I have, is that Jaun's 1st Amendment rights were violated and there needs to be an investigation.
Nope. The 1st Amendment doesn't mean you can't suffer consequences for what you say. Major Faiil!!!

Back
Top Bottom