• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Now Trump is at war with the generals

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

GeneralTrump-4bead9d838a541b3493cf00fd51b8df7-1.jpg

1/2/19
President Donald Trump is at war with the generals. The latest salvo in that war came on New Year's morning -- not traditionally a time for recrimination -- in a presidential tweet that denigrated retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal. Trump tweeted, "'General' McChrystal got fired like a dog by Obama. Last assignment a total bust. Known for big, dumb mouth. Hillary lover!" This tweet followed an interview that McChrystal gave to ABC's Martha Raddatz on Sunday in which he described Trump as both immoral and dishonest. Trump is known for being a counter-puncher, so on one level it's not surprising he reacted this way to McChrystal's withering criticism. But when you step back, the degree to which Trump is battling America's generals is startling, considering how he began his presidency. Trump came into office besotted by military brass, appointing retired four star Gen. James Mattis as his secretary of defense, retired four star Gen. John Kelly as his secretary of homeland security and later chief of staff, and retired three star Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn as his national security adviser. After Flynn was forced out of the White House, Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster assumed the role of national security adviser. Now, two years later, Trump is eager to tear down the generals.

The differences between Trump and US military leaders are more than simply stylistic, although Trump's lack of decorum and rudeness are certainly at odds with the military's honor-based values. The military tends to want to sustain overseas military commitments, which they see as vital to securing world order, whether that is to defeat ISIS, or to contain a nuclear-armed North Korea, or to prevent Afghanistan from reverting into control by the Taliban. Trump believes he was elected to end foreign entanglements and that alliances like NATO are "ripping off" the United States, while US military leaders are keenly aware that NATO allies have been fighting shoulder-to-shoulder with them since the 9/11 attacks. The policy differences between Trump and the military were underlined by Mattis's resignation, which came as a result of Trump announcing a total withdrawal of the 2,000 US troops in Syria. Mattis appears to have resigned because this decision was made in an arbitrary way and without consulting allies. Trump has now made a sharp break with Kelly, Mattis, McChrystal, McRaven, and McMaster, some of the leading American generals and admirals of our era. Why Trump, even given his policy disagreements, would pick a war with the military leaders he once so publicly admired is a puzzle that future historians will surely try to unpack.

Commander ChickenSpurs, who once spouted: "I know more about ISIS than the generals do. Believe me." is now at war with the generals.

And with government workers. And with Robert Mueller. And with the Fed Chairman. And with the Media. And with .....

We already knew that Trump has zero respect for our military or its personnel.

Yesh, he is a dangerous POS, that's for sure.

Only I can do it is how he thinks. It is incompatible with his office. We fought a war back in the 1700's to stop such people from ruling us.

Only I can do it is how he thinks. It is incompatible with his office.

He has certainly demonstrated himself to be a very atrocious and childish President.

Commander ChickenSpurs, who once spouted: "I know more about ISIS than the generals do. Believe me." is now at war with the generals.

And with government workers. And with Robert Mueller. And with the Fed Chairman. And with the Media. And with .....

No self respecting person supports this miserable, military-hating idiot.

1. McChrystal is no longer a general.

2. Generals answer to the president. Not the other way around.

1. McChrystal is no longer a general.

And? He is still a retired general.

2. Generals answer to the president. Not the other way around.

And? Where has anyone said otherwise? However, Commander Bonespurs Trump thinks he knows more than his generals.

Infinitely less dangerous if our military has the same regard for him

True. If they recognize that, then they will 'not obey orders' out of good conscience and they will do what's best for the country.

And? He is still a retired general.

And? Where has anyone said otherwise? However, Commander Bonespurs Trump thinks he knows more than his generals.

Which means he has no authority. He's literally, a civilian.

Which means he has no authority. He's literally, a civilian.

Where the **** did he or anyone else claim he has authority over Trump? Seems you are trying to debate an argument no one has made.

Reminds me of certain posters here who fire in a 360 degree arc.............

True. If they recognize that, then they will 'not obey orders' out of good conscience and they will do what's best for the country.

Another name for that is "treason" and it isn't how our system is supposed to work.

It's breathtaking to watch you people bitch about President Trump, then suggest the generals stage a coup.

Where the **** did he or anyone else claim he has authority over Trump? Seems you are trying to debate an argument no one has made.

And once a general, always a general, unless demoted.

Even after retirement (he was specifically granted full pension by Obama). But acknowledging that would mean he was wrong, and we know that Hell will freeze over before that happens.

Another name for that is "treason" and it isn't how our system is supposed to work.

It's breathtaking to watch you people bitch about President Trump, then suggest the generals stage a coup.

Heh, good imagination but of course since the generals DO know much much more about our national security, of course I'd hope they'd do the moral and patriotic thing and ignore a delusional narcissists' orders if they were not in the best interests of our nation.

Heh, good imagination but of course since the generals DO know much much more about our national security, of course I'd hope they'd do the moral and patriotic thing and ignore a delusional narcissists' orders if they were not in the best interests of our nation.

Treason isn't patriotic. You're posting crazy talk.

Even after retirement (he was specifically granted full pension by Obama). But acknowledging that would mean he was wrong, and we know that Hell will freeze over before that happens.

All military retirees get their pension when they retire. Obama didn't grant McChrystal some special authority.

All military retirees get their pension when they retire. Obama didn't grant McChrystal some special authority.

Wrong. Because of the circumstances, Obama could have done so and specifically did not. Any military personnel can be kicked out dishonorably and denied pension/benefits. McCrystall was removed, and 'allowed to retire with full pension.' Dont you ever get tired of being completely wrong?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rystal-a-4-star-pension-idUSTRE65S6ZL20100629

Wrong. Because of the circumstances, Obama could have done so and specifically did not. Any military personnel can be kicked out dishonorably and denied pension/benefits. McCrystall was removed, and 'allowed to retire with full pension.' Dont you ever get tired of being completely wrong?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rystal-a-4-star-pension-idUSTRE65S6ZL20100629

He was relieved of his command, not kicked out of the service. Do you ever get tired of going out of your way to highlight your ignorance?

What's "now" got to do with it? Trump's attitudes haven't changed, only his rhetoric.

That's the thing about people of vile character: they're "fair weather" friends. It's just a matter of time before comes the time when one is of no use to them, at which point they'll turn on ones whom they formerly alleged to hold in high regard.

He was relieved of his command, not kicked out of the service. Do you ever get tired of going out of your way to highlight your ignorance?

Yup and people relieved of command dont necessarily get their full pension...or any...when they retire. After he was relieved of command, he retired.

Keep going...you're very familiar with this process...I guess you enjoy it or get some kind of disturbing gratification out of public humiliation. Have at it.

Back
Top Bottom