• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Now this is a powerful ad

maybe some of our tax hiking friends on this forum were students in that class?

People need to keep in mind, this is supposed to be set in the year 2030, and it would be funny if it weren't so damned scary.

People need to keep in mind, this is supposed to be set in the year 2030, and it would be funny if it weren't so damned scary.

Especially since China holds the most US debt of all foreign nations... though the liberal talking point seems to be "yeah, but they don't hold that much - it's the US Treasury that holds the most" and they say this is just "fear mongering" you see. Anything to distract from reality - progressives moving forward into the abyss.

Evil dystopian chinese of the future. Funny how its marketed directly towards the squeaky clean brains out there. I like the evil dark one that puts a finger to his face in the beginning. This ad is not powerful, for anyone out there with a smidgun of perspective its actually quite sad and pathetic it seems to have your agreement.

and it would be funny if it weren't so damned scary

and they say this is just "fear mongering" you see. Anything to distract from reality - progressives moving forward into the abyss

LoL referencing reality in regards to a science fiction piece of rightwing propaganda. Why don't you post some more with mushroom clouds or somethin else cool in them.

Harry Turtledove wrote "Getting Real!" based on this idea.

I can't imagine why reliable leftists would consider it mere "sci-fi."

Extremely well made. But misinformed more fear mongering rubbish.

Seems to conveniently leave out 2 messy wars... and the fact that China had its own stimilus package...

Getting Real is a science fiction short story written by Harry Turtledove and published in the March, 2009 edition of Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine.
It takes place in a dystrophic Los Angeles in 2117 where the United States is no longer a world power but an "economic basket case" ever since China refused to renew its loans to the government a century earlier.

Jeeze does the lighting and special effects with holograms and crap clue you in? Its a essentially a chinese guy confirming republican fundamentalist beliefs in a speech in the future. It's slick. That its working is sad.

Jeeze does the lighting and special effects with holograms and crap clue you in? Its a essentially a chinese guy confirming republican fundamentalist beliefs in a speech in the future. It's slick. That its working is sad.

What are you babbling about?

Extremely well made. But misinformed more fear mongering rubbish.

Seems to conveniently leave out 2 messy wars... and the fact that China had its own stimilus package...

Yes, it leaves out China's own structural deficiencies.

But as a matter of debt, the cost of both wars, combined, all the way up to 2009, if taken out of a current annual deficit would still leave a trillion-dollar shortfall. From one year.

What's so scary? The man said that we'd be working. Which is something that we wish we were doing today.

What are you babbling about?
:roll:

Okay, buddy, I dont know where your from but... That's why its called 'propaganda'.

A) The US will fall by 2030
B) The Chinese are evil
C) "We're turning our backs on the principles that make us great"
D) LMFAO Healthcare and Stimulus are the beginning of the end
E) govt takeover of private industries... lmfao im SURE the chinese would find that a political cause of collapse when they pursue it themselves.
F) The Chinese are planning to enslave us through debt.
G) They would laugh about 'owning us'.

I could almost write a film studies essay on this thing.

Okay, buddy, I dont know where your from but... That's why its called 'propaganda'.

B) The Chinese are evil
E) govt takeover of private industries... lmfao im SURE the chinese would find that a political cause of collapse when they pursue it themselves.

I could almost write a film studies essay on this thing.

Then you fall squarely within the category of leftist of which I speak. :shrug:

And in so doing, of course, you (probably unknowingly) are making an Argument from Ignorance.

Then you fall squarely within the category of leftist of which I speak. :shrug:

And in so doing, of course, you (probably unknowingly) are making an Argument from Ignorance.

Assuming ignorance? My lack in complicity towards the ad and not 'seeing the light'? Please indulge me, what kind of liberal am I and what exactly was this 'argument' I made that exposes me for an 'ignorant' leftist. Because it seems to me that you would have to be operating off a set of stereotype assumptions to come to this conclusion about me. Your lack of criticism of the ad speaks to something else entirely.

Evil dystopian chinese of the future. Funny how its marketed directly towards the squeaky clean brains out there. I like the evil dark one that puts a finger to his face in the beginning. This ad is not powerful, for anyone out there with a smidgun of perspective its actually quite sad and pathetic it seems to have your agreement.

LoL referencing reality in regards to a science fiction piece of rightwing propaganda. Why don't you post some more with mushroom clouds or somethin else cool in them.

Science fiction sooner or later becomes a type of science fact.... did you miss that this was set in 2030? Don't address the issue please - make sure to throw accusations instead per Alinsky's teachings.

Science fiction sooner or later becomes a type of science fact.... did you miss that this was set in 2030? Don't address the issue please

A) No accusation was thrown. (Unless maybe it was 'propaganda')
B) I addressed the issues you DONT want to address what I brought up.
C) I dont know what you mean that it was in 2030 meaning anything except the accelerated pace of the demise of the US. Does this somehow make the ad more legitimate? You're a great example of the ad's effectivity for referring to the ad again.
D) Im sorry science fiction eventually becomes science fact for you, it doesn't seem particularly common but has happened. Prediction of the stationary satellite/space stations, etc. This is definitely fiction, not much science to it. You're probably mistaking its political content for science.

A) No accusation was thrown. (Unless maybe it was 'propaganda')
Maybe? LOL.
B) I addressed the issues you DONT want to address what I brought up.

You mean this lame list? Here - let me answer them for you:

- Does your crystal ball make a different claim?
B) The Chinese are evil
- No where is this implied or stated
- That's absolutely true except apparently, to you.
- No where does it state this. The commercial identifies HealthCare and Stimulus as an example of "turning our backs" ie., spending beyond our means.
- Fact is, we have a government which takes over private industries. Are you saying it's impossible the Chinese wouldn't see that as a cause if indeed the country did collapse? Future evidence from 2030 is needed, please post.
- We're already enslaved by debt. We have a 14 trillion dollar debt which is growing. Those who don't see it don't want to see it. What part the Chinese will play going forward is not clear.
- You're right. Chinese people never laugh. :roll:
C) I dont know what you mean that it was in 2030 meaning anything except the accelerated pace of the demise of the US. Does this somehow make the ad more legitimate? You're a great example of the ad's effectivity for referring to the ad again.
- The ad is a warning - based on a minimal amount of data and an assumption that, if nothing changes, this may be our future. It's meant to make people think not to agree with a commercial as a guaranteed 100% assurance of what the future will become. Even you can conceptualize that. Or maybe not.
D) Im sorry science fiction eventually becomes science fact for you, it doesn't seem particularly common but has happened. Prediction of the stationary satellite/space stations, etc. This is definitely fiction, not much science to it.
You're right... Space Lab was all fiction. The moon landing was all fiction --- not much science to it. :lamo

You're probably mistaking its political content for science.
- Already answered this -- it's a warning.

The answer our government however wants us to believe is - the more we spend, the better off we will be. This commercial also casts doubt on that misinformation. I'm getting the feeling though you believe more spending is needed and buy into yet more spending. Is that accurate?

You're right... Space Lab was all fiction. The moon landing was all fiction --- not much science to it.
I was refferring to the add being fiction and not much science but your willingness to misread isnt lost on me.

No where is this implied or stated

Look just because you think I cant formalize the film technique doesnt mean youve won. ANy film student knows exactly how the chinese are being portared in this, dont play dumb. And if you seriously believe their not being portrayed as evil, even worse.

That's absolutely true except apparently, to you.
Populist bull**** absolutely debatable into an abyss and absolutley opinional and subjective. People like you are dangerous because you mistake your beliefs for facts and this video just reassures you that you are right about everything you think.

The commercial identifies HealthCare and Stimulus as an example of "turning our backs" ie., spending beyond our means.
Another value statement

Fact is, we have a government which takes over private industries. Are you saying it's impossible the Chinese wouldn't see that as a cause if indeed the country did collapse? Future evidence from 2030 is needed, please post.

The collapse of the country is already a maybe to you. No evidence from the future is necessary, the fact that chinese aren't enforcing state control in their economy must be lost on you. How they would see that as a source of collapse or how anyone could is beyond me. Oh wait, yeah I have to travel through a corridor of assumptions to arrive to a fundamentalist ideal. I see now.

We're already enslaved by debt. We have a 14 trillion dollar debt which is growing. Those who don't see it don't want to see it. What part the Chinese will play going forward is not clear.

Other states are stable with larger debt to GDP ratios, the chinese situation is curious. And enslaved is a pretty strong word. Do you feel like a slave?

You're right. Chinese people never laugh.

So you think the chinese will laugh about owning us? :roll:

The ad is a warning - based on a minimal amount of data and an assumption that, if nothing changes, this may be our future. It's meant to make people think not to agree with a commercial as a guaranteed 100% assurance of what the future will become. Even you can conceptualize that. Or maybe not.

How forward thinking, and ad designed for people to not agree with it if they dont want! I can conceptualize your strange unintuitive argument, unfortunately the ad is designed to confirm your beliefs. Minimal data is right, assumptions is right, this is not our future, theyre ****ing evil chinese with holograms speaking of the demise of the american empire, and your defending this ad. PUHHLEEEEZE. :roll:

Already answered this -- it's a warning.

This is no warning, its an opiate.

The answer our government however wants us to believe is - the more we spend, the better off we will be.

The answer our government however wants us to believe is - the more we spend, the better off we will be. This commercial also casts doubt on that misinformation. I'm getting the feeling though you believe more spending is needed and buy into yet more spending. Is that accurate?

Yes I agree the consumerist economy and level of consumption and spending in the US is not economically sustainable. I don't see that in the commercial though.

I'm getting the feeling though you believe more spending is needed and buy into yet more spending. Is that accurate?

Oh why yes, as you know Im such a liberal devoid of reason. I would never disagree with an irrationality set up by a conservative that assumes my beliefs.

Oh for ****'s sake, it's blatant fear mongering, not "powerful."

Assuming ignorance? My lack in complicity towards the ad and not 'seeing the light'? Please indulge me, what kind of liberal am I and what exactly was this 'argument' I made that exposes me for an 'ignorant' leftist. Because it seems to me that you would have to be operating off a set of stereotype assumptions to come to this conclusion about me. Your lack of criticism of the ad speaks to something else entirely.

Uh, no.

I said you were making an Argument from Ignorance. It was capitalized for a reason: it's a formal logical fallacy. Look it up.

You contend that because this ad is "propaganda," which of course it is, as any ad is, its message must therefore be bull****. But that's a fallacy. It can be as propaganda-ridden as anything you please and its message can still be valid.

And you present another fallacy by saying that my "lack of criticism" of it (even though if you'll look, you'll find that I in fact DID) implies anything about me or my opinion of it.

The type of leftist I refer to is one who wishes to dismiss this ad because it portrays a possible future at the end of the path we're currently on, which is very much a left-oriented one.

Oh for ****'s sake, it's blatant fear mongering, not "powerful."

Fearmongering -- -like Obama's beeng doing:

Barack Obama gave his marching orders:

** Obama: “They Bring a Knife…We Bring a Gun”
** Obama to His Followers: “Get in Their Faces!”
** Obama on ACORN Mobs: “I don’t want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! I’m angry!”
** Obama to His Mercenary Army: “Hit Back Twice As Hard”
** Obama on the private sector: “We talk to these folks… so I know whose ass to kick.“
** Obama to voters: Republican victory would mean “hand to hand combat”
** Obama to lib supporters: “It’s time to Fight for it.”

Gateway Pundit

But really - little ad from the people who publishing the Pork Book on wasteful spending of BOTH political party's is now "fearmongering".... anything that doesn't tow the liberal talking points including other liberals are "fearmongering" or get called words like "bigot" or "racist". The party of tolerance at work.

Fearmongering -- -like Obama's beeng doing:

Barack Obama gave his marching orders:

** Obama: “They Bring a Knife…We Bring a Gun”
** Obama to His Followers: “Get in Their Faces!”
** Obama on ACORN Mobs: “I don’t want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! I’m angry!”
** Obama to His Mercenary Army: “Hit Back Twice As Hard”
** Obama on the private sector: “We talk to these folks… so I know whose ass to kick.“
** Obama to voters: Republican victory would mean “hand to hand combat”
** Obama to lib supporters: “It’s time to Fight for it.”

Gateway Pundit

But really - little ad from the people who publishing the Pork Book on wasteful spending of BOTH political party's is now "fearmongering".... anything that doesn't tow the liberal talking points including other liberals are "fearmongering" or get called words like "bigot" or "racist". The party of tolerance at work.

None of those are examples of fearmongering. You don't understand that term at all.

None of those are examples of fearmongering. You don't understand that term at all.

I never claimed they were examples of fearmongering - in fact, now that I think about it a little more, they're examples of "inciting violence". Worse actually and simple fearmongering. But like I said, don't tow the party line, and everyone is fearmongering, everyone's a racist or bigot. Love the way Democrats throw epithets and accusations so smooth and easily like they were born with a special ability.

But let's face it, those quotes above are just "misstatements" right? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom