• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Now the F-word is offensive!

OKgrannie

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
This is too ridiculous to even comment upon!

Bozell Column: Ban The Word 'Fetus' | NewsBusters.org

Newsweek also has a clarity that’s breathtaking. It’s clearly not convinced that a baby should be defined as a human being until it is born. Later in the caption, Newsweek added the improved images have allowed "expectant parents to bond with their babies much earlier." But the next sentence points the reader to a picture of a "13-week-old fetus."

Our media elite prides itself on an official or unofficial policy of not using insulting or offensive terms about women or minorities in its daily news content. It’s about time they took the same approach to the unborn baby, and nixed the word "fetus" as too demeaning of human life.

Newsweek also has a clarity that’s breathtaking. It’s clearly not convinced that a baby should be defined as a human being until it is born. Later in the caption, Newsweek added the improved images have allowed "expectant parents to bond with their babies much earlier." But the next sentence points the reader to a picture of a "13-week-old fetus."

Our media elite prides itself on an official or unofficial policy of not using insulting or offensive terms about women or minorities in its daily news content. It’s about time they took the same approach to the unborn baby, and nixed the word "fetus" as too demeaning of human life.

Clear and direct language is the bane of the emotional argument of extreme pro-lifers.

Clear and direct language is the bane of the emotional argument of extreme pro-lifers.

I don't know. I think fetus is a valid term for a fetus. Calling a fetus a fetus in no way detracts from the human component of the fetus.

I don't know. I think fetus is a valid term for a fetus. Calling a fetus a fetus in no way detracts from the human component of the fetus.

That's my belief, too. But it seems the extreme pro-life argument hinges on making sure that the ZEF is never referred to anything short of a precious pink baby regardless of its developmental stage.

That's my belief, too. But it seems the extreme pro-life argument hinges on making sure that the ZEF is never referred to anything short of a precious pink baby regardless of its developmental stage.

Some do. I've never found it a problem. Human life is human life, no matter what words we have for it. In the end, I'm probably on the extreme end of the pro-life side as well. I'm against abortion, against intrusive, interventionist, offensive wars, and against the death penalty.

Some do. I've never found it a problem. Human life is human life, no matter what words we have for it. In the end, I'm probably on the extreme end of the pro-life side as well. I'm against abortion, against intrusive, interventionist, offensive wars, and against the death penalty.

I've never gotten the vibe from you that you are extreme at all. When I say extremists, I mean those that let their emotion rule their argument rather than reasoned and measured response to rational questions. I've never seen you as particularly closed off to being challenged on this particular issue.

Baby is not a technical term so people insisting on not using the word when talking about a fetus seems to be nothing more than an effort to desensitize. Preferring to use the technical term is one thing, but always insisting everyone else use it as well is another matter entirely.

I have had enough debates on this issue to recognize that people who constantly insist on using the term "fetus" or "zygote" are generally the most extreme in their attacks on people who are pro-life.

I have had enough debates on this issue to recognize that people who constantly insist on using the term "fetus" or "zygote" are generally the most extreme in their attacks on people who are pro-life.
No more than abortion opponents who never use the terms because it lacks emotional appeal.

I'm pro-life and I have no problem calling the unborn according to their developmental stages (zygote, fetus, etc). There is also extreme emotional appeal from the pro-choice side as well.

I'm pro-life and I have no problem calling the unborn according to their developmental stages (zygote, fetus, etc).
You are among the few.

There is also extreme emotional appeal from the pro-choice side as well.
Everything that can be said about one side can also be said about the other. No one is perfect.

No more than abortion opponents who never use the terms because it lacks emotional appeal.

It is not about people using the term, but insisting that other people use the term as well. Someone who does not insist on people using the same terms is probably not going to be as radical.

Reactions: mac
It is not about people using the term, but insisting that other people use the term as well. Someone who does not insist on people using the same terms is probably not going to be as radical.
Perhaps, but not necessarily.

i agree but we can't even call a cripple a cripple without getting bashed for it. somehow it has become the WRONG term the correct term now is handicaped but that now somehow is WRONG and we have to now call them handicapeable. it kind of gets out of hand after awhile. it even says in the bible jesus healed the cripples i've looked it up in many dictionary's and didn't find shame attached to it.

Thats interesting. I have always seen words like zygote and fetus to be like child or adult. Just a name for different stages of life.

The only time the words fetus/embryo/zygot/zef are used by lay people is in context of abortion debates. These are scientific terms denoting the specific timeline of a baby's development. People using these terms when arguing their ProChoice stance effectively (in their own minds) dehumanize a baby. Let's face it. Nobody wants to kill babies. So we have to call them something else.

The only time the words fetus/embryo/zygot/zef are used by lay people is in context of abortion debates. These are scientific terms denoting the specific timeline of a baby's development. People using these terms when arguing their ProChoice stance effectively (in their own minds) dehumanize a baby. Let's face it. Nobody wants to kill babies. So we have to call them something else.

Or they use these terms in scientific contexts in biology classrooms or medical practice. You can't apply the same medicine to a sick zygote as you can to a sick fetus.

The only time the words fetus/embryo/zygot/zef are used by lay people is in context of abortion debates. These are scientific terms denoting the specific timeline of a baby's development.
Actually those are not just scientific words but accurate terms for what exists inside a pregnant woman. Since abortion takes place in a certain development stage why is is not the right thing to use the appropriate term as opposed to a broader one which adds NOTHING to the discussion beyond emotional appeal?

People using these terms when arguing their ProChoice stance effectively (in their own minds) dehumanize a baby.
Really? Could you please share with us how do you know what is in people's minds? And what does "dehumanize" mean? How does an accurate term change anything about the fetus?

Let's face it. Nobody wants to kill babies.
Wow, you must have had an epiphany...

So we have to call them something else.
No, some people call fetuses something else. Babies are babies, single cells are something less.

You people bitch about pro-lifers using the words "baby","unborn child", or "unborn baby" because it humanizes the unborn and you have the nerve to bitch about a article saying the word fetus should be banned? Talk about hypocritical.

Actually those are not just scientific words but accurate terms for what exists inside a pregnant woman. Since abortion takes place in a certain development stage why is is not the right thing to use the appropriate term as opposed to a broader one which adds NOTHING to the discussion beyond emotional appeal?

They are terms rarely used by the general population. I went a lifetime without knowing what zef stood for -- or what zygot meant. Learned it through abortion debates. The words embryo and fetus are rarely, if ever, used in general conversation.

Really? Could you please share with us how do you know what is in people's minds? And what does "dehumanize" mean? How does an accurate term change anything about the fetus?

Maybe you haven't noticed, but this is a site where one gets to express opinions. You just read mine.

Wow, you must have had an epiphany...

Wow, you must have learned a new word.

No, some people call fetuses something else. Babies are babies, single cells are something less.

Sorry, a woman doesn't carry an embryo or a zygot or a zef or a fetus when she's pregnant. She carries a baby. I don't know what circles you travel in, but, believe me, no woman ever says, "I'm three weeks pregnant!!!! Yay!!!! I'm going to have a baby!!!! Provided it survives past the zygot, embryonic and fetal stages."

My point is that the only time we hear these scientific terms is when people are discussing abortion. And they absolutely do dehumanize babies.

So what? Really, so what? Do you only speak in scientific terms? No one only speaks in scientific terms. The only reason too insist on using only scientific terms is to dehumanize the subject in order to rationalize it as acceptable. Have the courage to admit that.

Sorry, a woman doesn't carry an embryo or a zygot or a zef or a fetus when she's pregnant. She carries a baby. I don't know what circles you travel in, but, believe me, no woman ever says, "I'm three weeks pregnant!!!! Yay!!!! I'm going to have a baby!!!! Provided it survives past the zygot, embryonic and fetal stages."

My point is that the only time we hear these scientific terms is when people are discussing abortion. And they absolutely do dehumanize babies.

And I'm sure that no woman imagines a zygote or a fetus in their body when they think of their "baby":

Zygote.JPG

fetus.jpg

They picture this:

cute-baby-picture1.jpg

Unfortunately, beliefs don't always coincide with reality.

So what? Really, so what? Do you only speak in scientific terms? No one only speaks in scientific terms. The only reason too insist on using only scientific terms is to dehumanize the subject in order to rationalize it as acceptable. Have the courage to admit that.

I completely and 100% support abortion, regardless of whether you call it "aborting babies" or "aborting fetuses". Hell you could call it "murdering poor, defenseless cute little babies" and I'd still support it. This entire argument is just stupid. Once again, this is the doublespeak of the anti-choice movement coming out, as it always does.

And I'm sure that no woman imagines a zygote or a fetus in their body when they think of their "baby" -- Unfortunately, beliefs don't always coincide with reality.

Perception is reality to a happily pregnant woman.

I completely and 100% support abortion, regardless of whether you call it "aborting babies" or "aborting fetuses". Hell you could call it "murdering poor, defenseless cute little babies" and I'd still support it. This entire argument is just stupid. Once again, this is the doublespeak of the anti-choice movement coming out, as it always does.

Well....good for you. Surprise. I'm ProChoice, although I sure don't want babies aborted after 4 months. The entire argument is NOT stupid. If rabid ProChoicers didn't try to shove their beliefs down other people's throats, more people would ADMIT to being ProChoice...with limits. When ProChoicers continue to wave red capes in people's faces by deliberately trying to dehumanize a human life, they alienate the very people they might reach.

Perception is reality to a happily pregnant woman.

No, her perception is just what she imagines. That doesn't make it REAL.

Well....good for you. Surprise. I'm ProChoice, although I sure don't want babies aborted after 4 months. The entire argument is NOT stupid. If rabid ProChoicers didn't try to shove their beliefs down other people's throats, more people would ADMIT to being ProChoice...with limits. When ProChoicers continue to wave red capes in people's faces by deliberately trying to dehumanize a human life, they alienate the very people they might reach.

No matter how rabid a pro-choicer gets, he is not shoving anything down anybodies throat, it's CHOICE they are all endorsing.
Neither is anyone deliberately trying to dehumanize a human life, it is what it is. Neither choicers nor lifers can have any effect on what IT IS, they can only affect others' perception, which, as I said, is not necessarily reality. It is choicers' contention that such important decisions should be based on reality, not be made on an emotional basis, so they deemphasize the emotional aspect. Lifers emphasize that aspect.

Back
Top Bottom