• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Now that Repiblican's run Congress

joe six-pack

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Now that the professional's are back in office, I'd like to talk about what we can expect.

- Attempts to remove sensible wall-street restrictions (so they can sell toxic assets and make bets which destroy the worlds economy?)
- Attempts to raise taxes on the middle-class (because the middle-class needs a tax hike, right?)
- Attempts prevent higher income tax to revert to Clinton area levels (which add how much to the deficit?)

By "professional" I meant prostitutes.

Thanks. :peace

Last edited:
Republicans are for business freedom. What's wrong with giving Wall Street more freedom?
Republicans are against tax hikes for everyone... Your point is invalid.
Your third point contradicts the 2nd. So they want to raise taxes, but then they don't want to raise taxes? You criticize them for both and accuse them of both. How is this logical?

Lulz, you called the Republicans prostitutes :roll:
This is just a partisan rant.

Republicans are for business freedom. What's wrong with giving Wall Street more freedom?

Plenty. Whenever wallstreet begins to get deregulated, we get large scale economic problems.

Plenty. Whenever wallstreet begins to get deregulated, we get large scale economic problems.

I support regulation preventing stock fraud and companies presenting false data. But I think brokers and individuals should be allowed to invest with freedom and without heavy taxes.

I support regulation preventing stock fraud and companies presenting false data. But I think brokers and individuals should be allowed to invest with freedom and without heavy taxes.

Well preventing fraud and false data wouldn't have been enough to avoid the current meltdown. There needs to be a firewall be investment and consumer banks as well as regulation on types of investment.

What will be interesting is how they will take those vague generalizations that got them elected and now follow through. Its one thing to say something like "Debt is bad". Its another to actually find some way to do that. I wonder how many votes would have voted for them if they had told the American public they planned to take away their social security.

Republican Transparency Promises - OpenCongress Wiki
"Pledge to America" (link). Highlights from Boehner's speech introducing the Pledge
1) Oversight responsibility should be the top priority of every committee
2) If Speaker, he will have the House return to normal order (ie, open rule on bills, minority rights like motions to recommit, etc.)
3) All legislative text should be online for at least 72 hours - wants to err on the side of more time (i.e., 5 days)
4) Rules Committee should broadcast/webcast all proceedings and post all transcripts online unless otherwise sensitive material that is requested to be private
5) Wants to break up votes on funding different agencies into different bills (i.e, break up 12 appropriations bills into separate votes)
6) Regarding absence of earmark policy in pledge: there is already an earmark moratorium on the GOP this Congress, but it will be up to the next Congress to decide whether there will be an overhaul/reform of the process or a full-on moratorium
Support efforts to increase public involvement and voice in setting the legislative agenda

That finance reform bill is huge. It needs downsized so we can figure out what's in it. Like the HC bill, it was passed without reading it.

Both the Dems and Reps are messed up, pretending one has a solution is pure fantasy.

Republican Transparency Promises - OpenCongress Wiki
"Pledge to America" (link). Highlights from Boehner's speech introducing the Pledge
1) Oversight responsibility should be the top priority of every committee
2) If Speaker, he will have the House return to normal order (ie, open rule on bills, minority rights like motions to recommit, etc.)
3) All legislative text should be online for at least 72 hours - wants to err on the side of more time (i.e., 5 days)
4) Rules Committee should broadcast/webcast all proceedings and post all transcripts online unless otherwise sensitive material that is requested to be private
5) Wants to break up votes on funding different agencies into different bills (i.e, break up 12 appropriations bills into separate votes)
6) Regarding absence of earmark policy in pledge: there is already an earmark moratorium on the GOP this Congress, but it will be up to the next Congress to decide whether there will be an overhaul/reform of the process or a full-on moratorium
Support efforts to increase public involvement and voice in setting the legislative agenda

While I admit I'm holding my breath and hoping the new house will be a force of good I have to wonder. Does the group that filabustered more than any other in the history of the country have the stomach to try and work with the the democrats and do the right thing.

Now that the professional's are back in office, I'd like to talk about what we can expect.

- Attempts to remove sensible wall-street restrictions (so they can sell toxic assets and make bets which destroy the worlds economy?)
- Attempts to raise taxes on the middle-class (because the middle-class needs a tax hike, right?)
- Attempts prevent higher income tax to revert to Clinton area levels (which add how much to the deficit?)

By "professional" I meant prostitutes.

What can you expect now that Republicans run congress? The same old **** is what you can expect.

Reactions: mpg
While I admit I'm holding my breath and hoping the new house will be a force of good I have to wonder. Does the group that filabustered more than any other in the history of the country have the stomach to try and work with the the democrats and do the right thing.

Actually they were doing what the majority of the people were asking them to do. Slow down! Stop the spending!
They did everything they could to stop the HC bill and they were rewarded on Nov 2 for their efforts.
Hopefully they will be able to work with the dems and pass GOOD legislation. But if they don't keep their promises and stick to their conservative values, they'll pay in 2012. I have faith in them. I don't think they'll blow it again.

I suppose you would say that if you had no idea what wallstreet was allowed to do.

I'm not talking about taxing wellstreet, I'm talking about regulations which prevent acts which can only be described a criminally negligent and morally corrupt. Bundling toxic assets up into securities, selling them and then betting that the company that buys them will lose stock value or go bankrupt is wrong.

Maybe if you looked into the practices of wallstreet, rather than chanting FREEDOM, you'd get it.
Republicans are against tax hikes for everyone... Your point is invalid.
Repubs don't support maintaining middle-class tax-hikes. They fundamentally belief it's better to give the rich tax-cuts, because they are more likely to become business owners. So your trolling is invalid.
Your third point contradicts the 2nd.
Not if you take the time to actually read it.

They want to cut taxes for the wealthy and revert Obama's middle-class tax cuts.
Lulz, you called the Republicans prostitutes :roll:
This is just a partisan rant.
Democrats are spineless. Happy? Now's it's a "bi-partisan" rant.

I suppose you would say that if you had no idea what wallstreet was allowed to do.

I'm not talking about taxing wellstreet, I'm talking about regulations which prevent acts which can only be described a criminally negligent and morally corrupt. Bundling toxic assets up into securities, selling them and then betting that the company that buys them will lose stock value or go bankrupt is wrong.

Maybe if you looked into the practices of wallstreet, rather than chanting FREEDOM, you'd get it.

Repubs don't support maintaining middle-class tax-hikes. They fundamentally belief it's better to give the rich tax-cuts, because they are more likely to become business owners. So your trolling is invalid.

Not if you take the time to actually read it.

They want to cut taxes for the wealthy and revert Obama's middle-class tax cuts.

Democrats are spineless. Happy? Now's it's a "bi-partisan" rant.

You're all wrong on the taxes.
The Republicans want to keep ALL the Bush tax cuts in place. The Dems want to raise them on anyone making over 200-250 thousand.

You're all wrong on the taxes.
The Republicans want to keep ALL the Bush tax cuts in place. The Dems want to raise them on anyone making over 200-250 thousand.
I may have mi spoke.

I know Repubs want to maintain Bush tax-cuts for the wealthy and Dems want to return the levels to Clinton-era tax levels for the rich. I was trying to say that Repubs don't seem to support maintaining the tax-cuts for the middle-class. I think they plan to fight Obama on that.

The major argument I keep hearing from them is that we should cut-taxes on the Rich, but revert the Middle-class to Bush-era levels. Therefore, taxing the Middle-class. I think the only time the Republicans want to reduce taxes is when the wealthy are mentioned. Oh yeah, and the Republicans don't want to cut spending. Repubs spend as much as Dems.

There, I said it. Republicans are the exact opposite of Robin Hood. (the men in tights version)

Last edited:
I may have mi spoke.

I know Repubs want to maintain Bush tax-cuts for the wealthy and Dems want to return the levels to Clinton-era tax levels for the rich. I was trying to say that Repubs don't seem to support maintaining the tax-cuts for the middle-class. I think they plan to fight Obama on that.

The major argument I keep hearing from them is that we should cut-taxes on the Rich, but revert the Middle-class to Bush-era levels. Therefore, taxing the Middle-class. I think the only time the Republicans want to reduce taxes is when the wealthy are mentioned. Oh yeah, and the Republicans don't want to cut spending. Repubs spend as much as Dems.

There, I said it. Republicans are the exact opposite of Robin Hood. (the men in tights version)

No, the GOP has definitely been saying we should keep the tax cuts for everyone. How they plan to do that and balance the budget, on the other hand, I'd like to see.

Back
Top Bottom