• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Now Even Harvard Business School Is Working On Free Online Courses

thats an entirely different definition of the word "college", so ya, it can get real confusing to someone who is not familiar with the US system.

It's the same way at my son's school. They have departments which are called "colleges" and others which are called "schools", and there are really no differences between these subdivisions, other than just names. So at my son's school, they have the "School of Music" which is the entire music department, and the "Darla Moore School of Business", yet they have the "College of Education" and the "College of Engineering", but in all four examples the words "college" and "school" are interchangable with no clear distinction between what makes on department a school and another a college.

That's not to be confused with an independent facility of higher education, which may be called a "college" though, even though it may offer a wide variety of degree programs in different majors, like Boston College, or Wofford College. Both Boston College and Wofford college are considered more prestigious than a lot of institutions with the name "University", such as the private Garner Webb University, or the public Winthrop University.

Colleges are just another word for residences at some universities here but Quebec has CEGEPS instead of Grade 12 which is kind of like college but you can take university prep courses. I guess you don't have nay negative connotations associated with colleges.

Colleges are just another word for residences at some universities here but Quebec has CEGEPS instead of Grade 12 which is kind of like college but you can take university prep courses. I guess you don't have nay negative connotations associated with colleges.

We sometimes use the word "college" instead of "dorms", but I believe that use of the word is antiquated. My kid's first year in college, he stayed in "Maxie College". No, the word college has no negative connotations in the US.

We sometimes use the word "college" instead of "dorms", but I believe that use of the word is antiquated. My kid's first year in college, he stayed in "Maxie College". No, the word college has no negative connotations in the US.

We also don't use dorms either they are for the most part residences and are not called anything else. Another thing is why do high schools and college/universities use freshman, sophomore, etc.?

Back
Top Bottom