• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Novak Djokovic out of US Open after hitting line judge with tennis ball

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Top-seeded Novak Djokovic was defaulted from his fourth-round match at the US Open after a tennis ball he hit in anger struck a line judge in the neck on Sunday.

As he walked to the Arthur Ashe Stadium sideline for a changeover, trailing Pablo Carreno Busta 6-5 in the first set, Djokovic -- who was seeded and ranked No. 1 and an overwhelming favorite for the championship -- angrily smacked a ball behind him. The ball flew right at the line judge, who dropped to her knees at the back of the court and reached for her neck.

I want to know how someone can be qualified to be a line judge if they require medical attention from barely being taped in the throat by a tennis ball?

WTF?????

what a horrible post

WTF dude?

Purely accidental imo. It didn't look like he was angry at all.

I am not a big Djokovic fan at all but the judge's reaction was bizarre.

It looked very exaggerated. People do not actually say 'Ouch!' when they're in pain.

Purely accidental imo. It didn't look like he was angry at all.

I am not a big Djokovic fan at all but the judge's reaction was bizarre.

It looked very exaggerated. People do not actually say 'Ouch!' when they're in pain.

Yes, I wouldn't call that slamming the ball in anger. Was unfortunate it hit the judge but it just didn't seem to be a rocket coming at her. At least from what you see on the video.

Trust me, I have been hit harder from a hockey puck coming into the stands.

Can't get the video to play, but if you make physical contact through a display of anger, slight or not, you've lost the privilege of being there. Especially when it's directed at judge.

stupid rule since there was no intent. It makes an already US Open of dubious standing (no Nadal, no Federer) look even lamer

stupid rule since there was no intent. It makes an already US Open of dubious standing (no Nadal, no Federer) look even lamer

Your the prosecutor, if your fire a gun with out looking where you are aiming and hit some one are you responsible? No intent, just pissed you missed a shot. If he had drilled it would it still be a stupid rule?

He has a history of sending balls dangerously at linesmen and ball boys. If this was his first time he wouldn’t have been tossed.

Yes, I wouldn't call that slamming the ball in anger. Was unfortunate it hit the judge but it just didn't seem to be a rocket coming at her. At least from what you see on the video.

Trust me, I have been hit harder from a hockey puck coming into the stands.

They had to show him hitting the ball at her in slow motion so it could be seen clearly

Your the prosecutor, if your fire a gun with out looking where you are aiming and hit some one are you responsible? No intent, just pissed you missed a shot. If he had drilled it would it still be a stupid rule?

far different. You know that, I know that.

He has a history of sending balls dangerously at linesmen and ball boys. If this was his first time he wouldn’t have been tossed.

Hard to say. I think that is speculation on your part. It cheapens the win for whomever wins the finals though.

Hard to say. I think that is speculation on your part. It cheapens the win for whomever wins the finals though.

As you pointed out the tournament was already moot with Fed and Nadal out

far different. You know that, I know that.

Far different penalty. Tell me if he had drilled the ball instead of just hitting it like he did would it make a difference?

Far different penalty. Tell me if he had drilled the ball instead of just hitting it like he did would it make a difference?

IF HE HAD tried to hit the line judge.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the video to work, so I had to make do with the text. So, my opinion was based upon that.

IF HE HAD tried to hit the line judge.

Simple question. I understand he didn't mean to hit her. He was looking down and just smacked the ball. My question is would it make a difference to you if he had done the exact same thing but had taken a larger swing and drilled it. Still no intent.

I want to know how someone can be qualified to be a line judge if they require medical attention from barely being taped in the throat by a tennis ball?

WTF?????

They got him on
"Players shall not violently, dangerously or with anger hit, kick or throw a tennis ball
within the precincts of the tournament site except in the reasonable pursuit of a point
during a match (including warm-up).
Violation of this Section shall subject a player to fine up to $20,000 for each
violation. In addition, if such violation occurs during a match (including the warmup) the player shall be penalised in accordance with the Point Penalty Schedule
hereinafter set forth.
For the purposes of this Rule, abuse of balls is defined as intentionally hitting a ball
out of the enclosure of the court, hitting a ball dangerously or recklessly within the
court.

https://www.itftennis.com/media/2495/grand-slam-rulebook-2020-f.pdf

Hitting the line judge just added to the situation. Not I agree of having him disqualified.

Stupid rule since there was no intent. It makes an already US Open of dubious standing (no Nadal, no Federer) look even lamer
Yeah, obviously an accident, and as you said - 'no intent'. He also showed immediate concern, and handled it very well I thought. He may have caught the judge in the windpipe, causing her duress.

And even though described by the sportscasters as, 'out-of-anger', I saw little anger with perhaps more disgust or disappointment. This was not McEnroe anger!

But you know, one is responsible for their actions, and he did cause unnecessary duress. It is what it is. He'll be more careful, next time.

Yeah, obviously an accident, and as you said - 'no intent'. He also showed immediate concern, and handled it very well I thought. He may have caught the judge in the windpipe, causing her duress.

And even though described by the sportscasters as, 'out-of-anger', I saw little anger with perhaps more disgust or disappointment. This was not McEnroe anger!

But you know, one is responsible for their actions, and he did cause unnecessary duress. It is what it is. He'll be more careful, next time.

without any people who bought expensive tickets, the default might less harmful. If the stands were packed with people who pay up to 10,000 dollars or more for a seat, such a default would be idiotic

They got him on
"Players shall not violently, dangerously or with anger hit, kick or throw a tennis ball
within the precincts of the tournament site except in the reasonable pursuit of a point
during a match (including warm-up).
Violation of this Section shall subject a player to fine up to $20,000 for each
violation. In addition, if such violation occurs during a match (including the warmup) the player shall be penalised in accordance with the Point Penalty Schedule
hereinafter set forth.
For the purposes of this Rule, abuse of balls is defined as intentionally hitting a ball
out of the enclosure of the court, hitting a ball dangerously or recklessly within the
court.

https://www.itftennis.com/media/2495/grand-slam-rulebook-2020-f.pdf
I'd say that description pretty accurately describes what he did. It's a clear infraction.

Hitting the line judge just added to the situation. Not I agree of having him disqualified.
Yep, especially with the level of duress she seemed to suffer. After the line judge went down, I think there was no choice but to infract him. Whether that should require forfeiture might be another matter. But he clearly did an infraction - with negative consequences to another.

without any people who bought expensive tickets, the default might less harmful. If the stands were packed with people who pay up to 10,000 dollars or more for a seat, such a default would be idiotic
I'm not familiar with the infraction, but from the reading in mike2810's post above - Djokovic clearly infracted.

Now whether that should require forfeiture, might be another matter. But I suspect the judge's apparent level of duress factored in the decision.

How hard would he have had to hit it before it would not be idiotic to disqualify him?

Interesting story form High School. We were at practice and some one hit a ball high in the air just goofing around. He said look up and like a moron I did. Hit me right in the glasses which pushed the lens into my eye. No real permanent damage but the eye doesn't quite dilate fully and is a bit sensitive to bright sun light. The real funny (or not) thing is the father of the guy who hit it was an Ophthalmologist. They took me right over and he took care of it. Point being it doesn't have to be hard hit to do damage. On my honor that is a true story.

I'm not familiar with the infraction, but from the reading in mike2810's post above - Djokovic clearly infracted.

Now whether that should require forfeiture, might be another matter. But I suspect the judge's apparent level of duress factored in the decision.

she seemed to be overly dramatic.I have seen linesmen catch a Roddick Serve in the crotch, or a Pete Sampras overhead in the face, who seemed less upset

Back
Top Bottom