• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nothing African about them

Do you agree with the term "African American" to describe Americans based on their skin co

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes you do; you call yourselves 'Anglo-Saxon' despite not having being born in either Britain or Germany. And why don't you call folk American-Italian? I would have thought the surnames like Cuomo or Giuliani might give people a clue as to their heritage.

Never called myself or any other white person Anglo. Never. And no, surnames don't necessarily reveal ethnicity. Now naming children DaQ'an and Shaniqua might give a clue to their heritage.
So again, why are we ALWAYS pointing out the color of black people's skin?
And really, have you been made aware at any point, the vast renaming of immigrants who changed their ethnic names when or before they arrived in America? Many changed their names to avoid prejudice, discrimination and bigotry, like the Italians and Irish.

#history

Last edited:
it's 1940 in Trump's America.

There's a huge difference between society referring to Europeans as hyphenated Americans (we don't) and the compulsory naming of black people as AA.
AA has become synonymous with race, not ethnicity.
Name one time either Cuomo was called Italian-American. We just don't do that with white people, as a society.
But we do it with black people.
Europe isn't "my people". Americans are my people.

Here is an article which refers to Cuomo as an Italian-American:

New York's Cuomo defends Columbus statues for symbolism to Italian Americans - Reuters

Regardless, I kind of see what you’re saying. Back in the day when Italians were recent immigrants, they weren’t really considered white by American society and same as the Irish before them. Maybe hyphenating their name was either a way to integrate in society or was it a way of keeping their identity separate?

The OP was talking about African-Americans referring to themselves as such but you are talking about the other members of society referring to them as African-Americans. If any American wishes to hyphenate themselves, that’s their choice I believe.

Here is an article which refers to Cuomo as an Italian-American:

New York's Cuomo defends Columbus statues for symbolism to Italian Americans - Reuters

Regardless, I kind of see what you’re saying. Back in the day when Italians were recent immigrants, they weren’t really considered white by American society and same as the Irish before them. Maybe hyphenating their name was either a way to integrate in society or was it a way of keeping their identity separate?

The OP was talking about African-Americans referring to themselves as such but you are talking about the other members of society referring to them as African-Americans. If any American wishes to hyphenate themselves, that’s their choice I believe.
As a society, in America, we only hyphenate AAs. Sure, some Americans refer to themselves as European-American, but not as an identity group. We celebrate our ethnic heritage but we are not blocs based on that heritage. We are Americans. Period.

de Blasio? He changed his name. Cuomo's ethnic heritage was referenced as it related to Columbus. Limited circumstance.

As a society, in America, we only hyphenate AAs. Sure, some Americans refer to themselves as European-American, but not as an identity group. We celebrate our ethnic heritage but we are not blocs based on that heritage. We are Americans. Period.

de Blasio? He changed his name. Cuomo's ethnic heritage was referenced as it related to Columbus. Limited circumstance.

We still have need to talk about African-Americans as a group because of ongoing racism and bigotry so the term needs to be used as is not offensive. When we no longer need to have those conversations I’m sure the term will fall out of use.

Last edited:
Putting a country or continent before American indicates where your ancestors Originally came from.

Why not get more precise and identify what country in Africa? Never once felt the need to identify as "European American" or Swedish American.

On occasion someone may inquire about , where are you from....Minneota.

Last edited:
Why not get more precise and identify what country in Africa? Never once felt the need to identify as "European American" or Swedish American.

Might be because many black people cannot actually pinpoint their country of origin. Many of their ancestors were taken by force after all and no one really kept immigration records for slaves.

Not that immigration records are even remotely accurate in many cases. I’ve a friend whose last name is “Catania” not because that’s actually his surname but because that’s where his family was from and the good people at Ellis Island decided for his ancestors that using place-of-origin worked just fine as a last name.

So how would you identify yourself

Their citizenship is American, born in America, spoke English, eating American food, listening to American music, dressing American, and nothing African about them. However, they call themselves African Americans.

If they are so charming about Africa, why don't they go back to the land of their ancestors? Why do thousands of Africans travel to America or try to obtain an American visa every year? Do they think of America as the evil that enslaves their ancestors?

African people can be Black, White, Asian, Arabs and the list could go on. These fools think that their skin colour defines who you are.

End

Stupid OP. Just really, really dumb rhetorical questions. Moronic, even.

White entitlement and racial ignorance, on full display.

Sorry, the opinions of ignorant, self-entitled white people don't matter. If you don't like "hyphenated" Americans, you are welcome to go back to wherever your people came from, stan; because that's not going to change, and no one cares about the angry-white-dude vote any more. You're all simply not worth the time and effort of decent Americans. And you'll soon be reduced to permanent minority status, anyway.

African-Americans, like EVERY other group of Americans, decide for ourselves how we wish to identify. But for reasons that are clear and do not require further clarification, ignorant white conservatives (and ONLY ignorant white conservatives) seem to have difficulty dealing with this reality.

My suggestion for the OP is that he tend to issues that he may be able to impact, such as some of the many ails within his white community.

Their citizenship is American, born in America, spoke English, eating American food, listening to American music, dressing American, and nothing African about them. However, they call themselves African Americans.

If they are so charming about Africa, why don't they go back to the land of their ancestors? Why do thousands of Africans travel to America or try to obtain an American visa every year? Do they think of America as the evil that enslaves their ancestors?

African people can be Black, White, Asian, Arabs and the list could go on. These fools think that their skin colour defines who you are.

End

If you're this angry about what other people choose to call themselves, then it's safe to assume you're angry pretty frequently.

And.....thread ends....:lamo

Isn't it "funny" how ignorant white conservatives LOVE to talk ABOUT African-Americans...but not WITH African-Americans?

This is a recurring theme on this board. And it's puzzling to me, given that this is an anonymous message board.

Why are most conservative white guys so gutless? Or is it that most conservative white grievance types are just mental midgets who don't respond well to direct confrontation?

Sure are a lot of 'em around here.

You all know who you are. :2wave:

American. I don't have any loyalty to Europe. Don't have anything against it either.

Can’t used that on an application

If it asks race, I answer white. I don't answer European.

That's great.

Your choice. And you don't see anyone complaining about it, do you?

So just how poisoned with entitlement must your brains of people like you be, to believe it your place to whine about how other Americans choose to self-identify?

Clearly pretty poisoned, I'd say.

End

I know blacks who will set you straight if you refer to them as African-Americans. That said, the dems cannot have it both ways. If the culture no blacks enjoyed is relevant, then the confederate culture no whites enjoyed can be relevant too.

That's great.

Your choice. And you don't see anyone complaining about it, do you?

So just how poisoned with entitlement must your brains of people like you be, to believe it your place to whine about how other Americans choose to self-identify?

Clearly pretty poisoned, I'd say.

You can self identify as anything you want. You don't need brains to self identify these days. Guys call themselves girls now. Some may actually believe it.

I was asked a question, so I answered. No entitlement involved, just common sense.

Nah you don't get it - if you're Italian-American, Irish-American, German-American (and in some circles I suspect, especially that one) it's okay. Likewise if you're Slovenian-American, or maybe just Slovenian-Stripper...

I could be German-American, French American or even Austrian-American depending on who lost the most recent war before my ancestors got out of Europe because of various religious wars of persecution between the Protestants and Catholics. Part of my family is from Alsace, which has been swapped between France and Germany numerous times and the other half is from the border of Bavaria and Austria, which has likewise been swapped as the result of numerous wars.

You can self identify as anything you want. You don't need brains to self identify these days. Guys call themselves girls now. Some may actually believe it.
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Like, when Republicans preach about their faith and values.
Like, when Republicans talk about fiscal responsibility and deficit reduction.
Like, when Republicans claim (every year) that tax cuts create jobs and pay for themselves.
Like, when Republicans call Democrats "the party of the KKK", while promoting racist policies.

Like that, right?

was asked a question, so I answered. No entitlement involved, just common sense.

LOL, part of the whole entitlement is that you don't know or understand your affliction.

Clearly, you don't.

But, yes, you answered his question.

I could be German-American, French American or even Austrian-American depending on who lost the most recent war before my ancestors got out of Europe

Those labels are all okay with certain conservatives here.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Like, when Republicans preach about their faith and values.
Like, when Republicans talk about fiscal responsibility and deficit reduction.
Like, when Republicans claim (every year) that tax cuts create jobs and pay for themselves.
Like, when Republicans call Democrats "the party of the KKK", while promoting racist policies.

Like that, right?

LOL, part of the whole entitlement is that you don't know or understand your affliction.

Clearly, you don't.

But, yes, you answered his question.

Not sure how this relates to individuals self identifying but it's a nice deflection. If you want to self identify as an African American...go for it. I'm just an American who happens to be white.

The European thingy never comes up.

Back
Top Bottom