• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NOTAM

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
When did the definition change?

After this morning’s grounding, I notice they are talking about Notice To Air Missions, it used to stand for Notice To Airmen.

After this morning’s grounding, I notice they are talking about Notice To Air Missions, it used to stand for Notice To Airmen.

Hmm… “men” was likely deemed to have been a micro-aggression, so it had to be changed (for political correctness or to be sufficiently ‘woke’). “Airpersons” fails (my confuser’s) spellcheck and doesn’t fit the “NOTAM” acronym so they likely decided on “Air Missions” to resolve that critical issue. ;)

Ms used to outrage those that wanted women to be called Mrs, or Miss
Non-binary now offends all those who feel everyone needs to be a He or She
Postal Worker now replaces Postman, and I am sure a few dogs out there don't know which gender they are biting (sarcasm)
Now NOTAM offends some people.

Listen up, I like to be called SNOWFLAKE. I am sure THAT will trigger a few people too. It's just how people are wired. While the likes of myself munch our bread and bacon, sip our coffee, catch up on last night's sports scores, get ready for work, kiss our wives on the way out and have a light spring in our step for still being alive, OTHER folks scour the internet for SOMETHING to offend them.

Sheesh!

Use to fly many years ago and just heard of this silly change from this thread.
More woke policys?

Apparently all flights are grounded until 0900. FAA has a major computer failure!
It's going to be a very long day if you are trying to fly.

So the FAA suffers a computer outage somehow and it brings air traffic in America to a halt. And the takeaway is that the acronym apparently changed meaning?

lol

I'm just hoping it was something as simple as a computer outage and there wasn't some cyber attack that preceded it.

So the FAA suffers a computer outage somehow and it brings air traffic in America to a halt. And the takeaway is that the acronym apparently changed meaning?

lol

I'm just hoping it was something as simple as a computer outage and there wasn't some cyber attack that preceded it.
Try looking at post # 5.

Of course there will be comments about what the woke idiots did with the title change.

Policeman - police officer
Fireman - firefighter
mailman - mailperson

Dog catcher - animal control

Try looking at post # 5.

Of course there will be comments about what the woke idiots did with the title change.
I mean, if people's platforms are so fragile, sad, and pathetic that they'd need to make an issue out of a supposed acronym change over the fact that air traffic over the US was brought to a halt, so be it.

But it seems a pretty pathetic play to make.

Hmm… “men” was likely deemed to have been a micro-aggression, so it had to be changed (for political correctness or to be sufficiently ‘woke’). “Airpersons” fails (my confuser’s) spellcheck and doesn’t fit the “NOTAM” acronym so they likely decided on “Air Missions” to resolve that critical issue. ;)
Listening to the talking heads describe what NOTAM is is cringe-worthy.

Do you ever post anything that is not ironic wth aw ink at the end? How is this condescending attitude productive for a meaningful discussion?
I've read your posts for years, you're incredibly intelligent and knowledgeable. Come on

I mean, if people's platforms are so fragile, sad, and pathetic that they'd need to make an issue out of a supposed acronym change over the fact that air traffic over the US was brought to a halt, so be it.

But it seems a pretty pathetic play to make.
You obviously don’t fly. I haven’t flown for a decade or more, I did get to the solo stage of pilot training and decided that I had fulfilled my goal. When I was a student NOTAM was defined as Notice To AirMen. There was a monthly publication, IIRC, that included all the things that pilots had encountered that may be significant to other pilots flying the same routes. The change is pretty recent and came as a surprise when I heard the news caster read what they were. I had to look it up and the new definition took place in DEC 2021.

One of the first reasons given was to make the term more “inclusive.” The acronym didn’t change and any one familiar never called NOTAMs anything longer than NOTAMs. It took a major shutdown of the aviation system to bring the change to light. If not for the break-down no one would have been the wiser, certainly not me.
It’s difficult not to shake my head over the wave of “inclusiveness” and political correctness that we engage in.

I wasn’t flying this morning or planning to in the near future, so the system crashing didn’t much affect me the new definition was a notable thing, sorry to upset you……

Do you ever post anything that is not ironic wth aw ink at the end? How is this condescending attitude productive for a meaningful discussion?
I've read your posts for years, you're incredibly intelligent and knowledgeable. Come on

See post #13 or look at the following link (which it includes). My SWAG appears to have been largely correct.

On Thursday, the meaning of the acronym NOTAM changed from “Notice to Airmen” to “Notice to Air Missions.”

According to the 176-page rule from the FAA, the name change complies with the Federal Women’s Program (FWP) suggestions, as the term Notice to Air Missions is “inclusive of all aviators and missions.”

See post #13 or look at the following link (which it includes). My SWAG appears to have been largely correct.

Oh, I don't think you're wrong. Usually you're not. Just think the snarkiness always derails topics and discussions for no reason, when you have so much to add. Anyway...you do you. Sorry (sincerely)

You obviously don’t fly. I haven’t flown for a decade or more, I did get to the solo stage of pilot training and decided that I had fulfilled my goal. When I was a student NOTAM was defined as Notice To AirMen. There was a monthly publication, IIRC, that included all the things that pilots had encountered that may be significant to other pilots flying the same routes. The change is pretty recent and came as a surprise when I heard the news caster read what they were. I had to look it up and the new definition took place in DEC 2021.

One of the first reasons given was to make the term more “inclusive.” The acronym didn’t change and any one familiar never called NOTAMs anything longer than NOTAMs. It took a major shutdown of the aviation system to bring the change to light. If not for the break-down no one would have been the wiser, certainly not me.
It’s difficult not to shake my head over the wave of “inclusiveness” and political correctness that we engage in.

I wasn’t flying this morning or planning to in the near future, so the system crashing didn’t much affect me the new definition was a notable thing, sorry to upset you……

Who the **** cares? It's a pathetic point to get hung up over.

We apparently have a system with what appears to have no redundancy, which is capable of bringing all air traffic to a halt.

We apparently have a system with what appears to be no redundancy, which is capable of bringing all air traffic to a halt.
Start a thread. You seem to be the hung up party…..

Start a thread. You seem to be the hung up party…..
So your snowflake politics are so fragile you cannot handle the expansion of terms to include all people and unmanned craft.

Got it.

Oh, I don't think you're wrong. Usually you're not. Just think the snarkiness always derails topics and discussions for no reason, when you have so much to add. Anyway...you do you. Sorry (sincerely)

OK, but I consider the politically correct nonsense to be offensive to common sense. IMHO, the idea that men isn’t intended to apply to mankind is ridiculous. Will mankind be replaced by a more ’inclusive’ term like humans, persons or people? Maybe we should bite the bullet (is that a micro-aggression too?) and change NOTAM to NOTAP for “Notice to AirPersons”. After all, missions can’t be notified, yet persons, people or pilots can be.

So your snowflake politics are so fragile you cannot handle the expansion of terms to include all people and unmanned craft.

Got it.
Maybe if the FAA had spent the money that the 176 page cost on why there was no redundancy for the system, we would never have known about the definition change. There are snowflake politics on display here, just not mine. Soon there will be ++++s and more letters added so people’s fee fees don’t get twisted up!

Maybe if the FAA had spent the money that the 176 page cost on why there was no redundancy for the system, we would never have known about the definition change. There are snowflake politics on display here, just not mine. Soon there will be ++++s and more letters added so people’s fee fees don’t get twisted up!
You seem quite upset about changing the definition of an acronym to more accurately reflect the types of air traffic we currently have.

lol

We apparently have a system with what appears to have no redundancy, which is capable of bringing all air traffic to a halt.

OK, but how much time, money and effort was devoted to renaming the system (for political correctness) rather than upgrading it?

OK, but how much time, money and effort was devoted to renaming the system (for political correctness) rather than upgrading it?
Probably some small fraction of costs that an upgrade or adding redundancy would cost.

The name doesn't matter, they changed it to reflect the growing types of air traffic. But what we need to be looking at is why there has not been redundancy or proper upgrades on a system which can single handily take down all of our air traffic.

I learned to fly 1984 and through my entire flying career which temporarily was put on hold a few years ago m(but will resume this year) it was Notice to Airmen. Seems it changed end of last year.

Silliness. But frankly no one ever calls them "Notices to Airmen" anyway. We just say NOTAMS.

Guess the only time I'll have to spell out what the acronym means is if a student asks.

Probably some small fraction of costs that an upgrade or adding redundancy would cost.

The name doesn't matter, they changed it to reflect the growing types of air traffic. But what we need to be looking at is why there has not been redundancy or proper upgrades on a system which can single handily take down all of our air traffic.

OK, but if wasn’t part of the solution then it was part of the problem. BTW, female pilots aren’t growing types of air traffic.

Back
Top Bottom