• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Not Just Putin: Most Russians Support the War in Ukraine

Ukraine has not moved any closer to membership status in a much longer time frame than "days and weeks".
I just said the relevant time frame is longer than that. And is giving Ukraine "enhanced opportunities partner" status not a step to membership?

Provocation my ass. It's self-defense. Those countries have some shared history with Russia. And they haven't forgotten it. So when Putin came into power those countries said; "Oh, ohh... seen this movie before." Once a Cheka. Always a Cheka. They knew that Putin's ultimate goal was going be to restore Russia to it's previous Soviet Union glory. Which Putin means to do through the reacquisition of the satellite states that departed the Soviet Union when it collapsed. And punish them for their humiliation. Which we saw play out in Georgia, Chechnya, and now playing out in Ukraine. So when you stop to think about it it's really kind of ironic that it was Putin's coming into power that prompted nearby states to seek NATO membership and this lawless ill-advised invasion of his of Ukraine will very likely result in furthering another expansion of NATO countries.
Chechnya was a wayward province, Georgia and Ukraine were only invaded because of paranoia over pro-Western drift. Putin has not annexed a single former satellite republic, nor will he do so in Ukraine. He'll simply put yanukovych back in. He simply seeks neutral states between Russia and the West.
Afraid you don't understand English all that well. But what else should I have probably expected, right? What you wrote there is a declarative sentence. Not a question.
How is "how would the US respond?" not a question? You literally failed at reading comprehension. "The only thing that separates the US and Russia is that the US is willing to put up a facade of having the moral high ground." is not my question, genius.

Chechnya was a wayward province, Georgia and Ukraine were only invaded because of paranoia over pro-Western drift. Putin has not annexed a single former satellite republic, nor will he do so in Ukraine. He'll simply put yanukovych back in. He simply seeks neutral states between Russia and the West.

How is "how would the US respond?" not a question? You literally failed at reading comprehension. "The only thing that separates the US and Russia is that the US is willing to put up a facade of having the moral high ground." is not my question, genius.
How do you know that Putin won't annex Ukraine, because that's what Putin said he wants? He's repeatedly said Ukraine doesn't exist. It's part of Russia.
Saying that he only wants to put Yanukovych back is not a minor ideal. That would mean that once again Ukraine would be a corrupt puppet of Moscow.

I really don't understand shilling for the Russians.

What's your evidence to back up that claim that NATO wouldn't seek to admit Ukraine long-term? Because clearly Putin thought differently

The simple reason that there has been no serious discussion among NATO members about admitting Ukraine.

The Ukrainians are in favor of it, now more so than ever.

Which is what happens when you’re attacked.

The notion that Russia was provoked by an effort to admit Ukraine to NATO is Russian propoganda.

But, that’s what you’re paid for.

I just said the relevant time frame is longer than that.
And I said even if you took the time frame out longer the answer would still be the same.

And is giving Ukraine "enhanced opportunities partner" status not a step to membership?

No, it isn't at all. Australia, for example, is an enhanced opportunity partner. Further, if you read the release on Ukraine you would see that it says explicitly that "Ukraine’s status as an Enhanced Opportunities Partner does not prejudge any decisions on NATO membership."

Yep..... and most people that watch nothing but Fox News support Trump. If you live in a controlled environment, you tend to be controlled. These people are not expressing their support out of really understanding the alternative. They lack the information necessary to make an informed opinion. This is a poll of the ignorant. Garbage In, Garbage Out.

BTW. Why are you touting this? Why are you pro-Putin?
He certainly is not an American In a previous post he asks "why.... in your country...." I suspect, very strongly, that he's one of Putin's trolls.

How do you know that Putin won't annex Ukraine, because that's what Putin said he wants? He's repeatedly said Ukraine doesn't exist. It's part of Russia.
Saying that he only wants to put Yanukovych back is not a minor ideal. That would mean that once again Ukraine would be a corrupt puppet of Moscow.

I really don't understand shilling for the Russians.
There are no indications whatsoever that Putin wants to annex Ukraine. And Yanukovych is just as corrupt as every other Ukrainian leader.

And I said even if you took the time frame out longer the answer would still be the same.

No, it isn't at all. Australia, for example, is an enhanced opportunity partner. Further, if you read the release on Ukraine you would see that it says explicitly that "Ukraine’s status as an Enhanced Opportunities Partner does not prejudge any decisions on NATO membership."

That has essentially made Australia a de-facto NATO state as it would've made Ukraine the same had Russia not intervened. The US was pumping lethal aid into Ukraine and that was likely to scale up its cooperation. Just because they add a halfhearted warning at the end doesn't detract from the fact that this does push Ukraine further into NATO's embrace. Putin wanted to stop this Westernization pull and eventual NATO membership sooner than later, while Russia was still a leading power on the world stage.

...Yes? The point is to establish what percentage of Russians support the war their country is currently waging, where else are you going to go to poll said Russians on said war? Australia?
Russians have been cut off from news and are only being fed a torrent of propaganda about that war Russia is currently waging.

More will support now that the Ukes are targeting civilians in Donetsk. I can’t imagine why people in the Donbas don’t want to live under a government that perversely claims the right to target it’s citizens with military weapons

I dont think alot of people here realize it, but Putin enjoys majority support in Russia.
Yes, that is true. But that does not mean that they also agree with the invasion in the Ukraine. The problem is of course that the data is not reliable. Not necessarily wrong, but it is biased for many reasons to the extend that we can not possibly know how right or wrong it is. within5%? or maybe it's 25%?

Here some of the reasons why a Russian Poll is not reliable.

- There will be people that say what they think the pollsters want to hear.
- They are people that lie because they are scared of repercussions.
- They actual numbers may be manipulated. Not saying they are, but it is a serious possibility at least.
- And since most activities in Russia are monitored and controlled, it is safe to assume that the questions themselves are already wrong. The way a question is asked can swing the answer in any direction, and in Russia that would mean that the support Putin.
- The peoples opinion is based on the information they have been provided with. In the case of Russia this information has always been scrutinized.

Having said all that, I do agree with you that a majority of the people inside Russia are supportive of Putin. But I am curious to see the result if the people of Russia actually knew the truth and the Poll was done properly.

Joey

Yes, that is true. But that does not mean that they also agree with the invasion in the Ukraine. The problem is of course that the data is not reliable. Not necessarily wrong, but it is biased for many reasons to the extend that we can not possibly know how right or wrong it is. within5%? or maybe it's 25%?

Here some of the reasons why a Russian Poll is not reliable.

- There will be people that say what they think the pollsters want to hear.
- They are people that lie because they are scared of repercussions.
- They actual numbers may be manipulated. Not saying they are, but it is a serious possibility at least.
- And since most activities in Russia are monitored and controlled, it is safe to assume that the questions themselves are already wrong. The way a question is asked can swing the answer in any direction, and in Russia that would mean that the support Putin.
- The peoples opinion is based on the information they have been provided with. In the case of Russia this information has always been scrutinized.

Having said all that, I do agree with you that a majority of the people inside Russia are supportive of Putin. But I am curious to see the result if the people of Russia actually knew the truth and the Poll was done properly.

Joey
I do think that they do support the war since state media and Western sanctions have significantly inflamed nationalistic sentiments and a perception of Western aggression and punishment towards the people of Russia, and likely they look towards Putin as their bulwark

I'm stating a fact that the majority of Russians stand behind Putin, despite what the gaslighting western media would have people believe with their incessant exaggerated coverage of the protests.

Needs

Moar

Rubles.

The simple reason that there has been no serious discussion among NATO members about admitting Ukraine.

The Ukrainians are in favor of it, now more so than ever.

Which is what happens when you’re attacked.

The notion that Russia was provoked by an effort to admit Ukraine to NATO is Russian propoganda.

But, that’s what you’re paid for.
Such good points! Shame that I responded to all of them throughout this thread. But keep shilling for Sleepy Joe and his genocidal government.

I dont think alot of people here realize it, but Putin enjoys majority support in Russia.
Of course, when there is total control of the news , and you get spoon fed opinions based on misinformation, you can get support.

Of course, when there is total control of the news , and you get spoon fed opinions based on misinformation, you can get support.
War is always good for approval ratings

NATO has never invaded any country. They are like a pit bull in the house. It only attacks if you break in the house
Wrong, Afghanistan.

Also pit bulls are dangerous unpredictable dogs that should all be euthanized for the good of humanity

Back
Top Bottom