• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Northam’s Longevity

Northam’s Tenure

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
How long does Governor Northam last?

He could possibly finish his term. There isn't anything that can be done legally to force him out, other than shaming him out.

I dont know enough about the local scene to know but I do know that he failed to pass a Purity Test, so he has to go.

These are dark times we are in.

Hes a democrat, and the party will ultimately stand with him because they are a racist party, and the gov will just have to take the heat.

He is denying the clan and blackface photos are him. Well Gov., this is post Kavenaugh and tough toenails. It is you until you can prove it isnt. You have no right to be treated better than Kavenaugh.

There is no legal nothing other than recall.

I put Wednesday. He's still digging his feet in, saying he's not going anywhere, so Monday would be too soon.

Mother****er oughta be gone now. :shrug:

I put Wednesday. He's still digging his feet in, saying he's not going anywhere, so Monday would be too soon.

Mother****er oughta be gone now. :shrug:

Out of morbid curiosity, why does he need to go?

He could possibly finish his term. There isn't anything that can be done legally to force him out, other than shaming him out.

Northam strikes me as a really unaware guy, so this is quite possible. But, why? Why be an obstructionist and lame duck, when Fairfax could step into the position?
His political career is o-v-e-r. It's either over today, or in several months from now.

Come to terms with it and figure out the next chapter of your lives. It's not in politics.

Northam strikes me as a really unaware guy, so this is quite possible. But, why? Why be an obstructionist and lame duck, when Fairfax could step into the position?
His political career is o-v-e-r. It's either over today, or in several months from now.

Come to terms with it and figure out the next chapter of your lives. It's not in politics.

Northam mighta figured out that one of his fellow democrats released the photo. If that's the case, good luck getting him to resign.

It depends on whether Trump does something stupid in the next 48 hours to provide political cover for him. One controversy out of the White House controversy factory and this becomes back page news. My guess is Northam's political team thinks something from the White House will divert the press and this will go away.

Yesterday when the guy admitted his wrong doing I was more on the side of thinking people were making too big a deal out of it (a single incident of long ago for which he took ownership is forgivable, especially in the Trump era with President and supporters who are completely without shame), but his rather odd backstrokes of today make me think otherwise.

I am always impressed with people that stand up and admit wrong. I find people that are wrong-doers who do not take ownership, but deflect or blame others to be despicable. In a few short hours, IMHO, he went from honorable to despicable.

Last edited:
I dunno'. This guy seems like he's fading fast, and everything he does seems to make it worse. So I went with Monday, figuring their might be a pile-on.

Hes a democrat, and the party will ultimately stand with him because they are a racist party, and the gov will just have to take the heat.

He is denying the clan and blackface photos are him
. Well Gov., this is post Kavenaugh and tough toenails. It is you until you can prove it isnt. You have no right to be treated better than Kavenaugh.

There is no legal nothing other than recall.

He has already admitted that he was in one of the costumes.

And from what I have seen no one is standing with him. Pretty much everyone is calling for him to resign.

Edit: Lol, just saw where he is trying to deny it. So I guess he was lying when he admitted to being in the picture in his first statement?

Last edited:
It depends on whether Trump does something stupid in the next 48 hours to provide political cover for him. One controversy out of the White House controversy factory and this becomes back page news. My guess is Northam's political team thinks something from the White House will divert the press and this will go away.

Yesterday when the guy admitted his wrong doing I was more on the side of thinking people were making too big a deal out of it (a single incident of long ago for which he took ownership is forgivable, especially in the Trump era with President and supporters who are completely without shame), but his rather odd backstrokes of today make me think otherwise. I am always impressed with people that stand up and admit wrong. I find people that are wrong-doers who do not take ownership, but deflect or blame others to be despicable.
His actions today killed any shred of credulity he may have had.

Does anyone here know whether he was the student dressed up in black-face or the student dressed up as a clansman in the yearbook photo? Black-face is racist and in really bad taste by the norms of 2019 but it wasn't so repugnant in 1984. However dressing up as a knight of the KKK in full bedsheets regalia was over the top in both 1984 and today. Politically he is almost certainly done either way, but I would just like to know which bad choice he made thirty-five years ago for posterity's sake.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

I didn't realize anything had happened today until I seen your post. Weird that he would initially admit he was in the photo, then as soon as everyone calls for his resignation it suddenly was not him and he had no idea why that picture would be on his yearbook page.

I didn't realize anything had happened today until I seen your post. Weird that he would initially admit he was in the photo, then as soon as everyone calls for his resignation it suddenly was not him and he had no idea why that picture would be on his yearbook page.
Haha! Yeah, that's why I say he's toast.

A mea culpa with an apology, later followed with a denial, rarely is a successful formula. :mrgreen:

Does anyone here know whether he was the student dressed up in black-face or the student dressed up as a clansman in the yearbook photo? Black-face is racist and in really bad taste by the norms of 2019 but it wasn't so repugnant in 1984. However dressing up as a knight of the KKK in full bedsheets regalia was over the top in both 1984 and today. Politically he is almost certainly done either way, but I would just like to know which bad choice he made thirty-five years ago for posterity's sake.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

The Governor has disavowed his earlier statement. He states that he is neither people pictured. But he once dressed up as Michael Jackson complete with shoe polish, brown polish. Oh, and he can still “moon-walk,” as he demonstrated in the press conference this afternoon.........Cheers!

Nap:

Deny, deny, deny. Even if it contradicts previous statements. It's insane but it too often works if you have strong political backing. Northam however seems devoid of any substantial political backing at the moment so it looks more like deer-in-the-headlights desperation than savvy political brinksmanship.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Haha! Yeah, that's why I say he's toast.

A mea culpa with an apology, later followed with a denial, rarely is a successful formula. :mrgreen:

Echoing Roddy's post above, I believe the denial may have to do with he realized while blackface may be possibly forgiven (doubtful given the outrage over Megyn Kelly's comments) but dressing up as a KKK member even in the 80s is particularly disturbing. He admitted to being in the picture, if the person in blackface is identified then that ultimately leaves him as the KKK guy.

Echoing Roddy's post above, I believe the denial may have to do with he realized while blackface may be possibly forgiven (doubtful given the outrage over Megyn Kelly's comments) but dressing up as a KKK member even in the 80s is particularly disturbing. He admitted to being in the picture, if the person in blackface is identified then that ultimately leaves him as the KKK guy.

Pick your poison? According to the Governor’s remarks this afternoon he “vividly remembers” that neither people in the photo is him...

The Governor has disavowed his earlier statement. He states that he is neither people pictured. But he once dressed up as Michael Jackson complete with shoe polish, brown polish. Oh, and he can still “moon-walk,” as he demonstrated in the press conference this afternoon.........Cheers!

Rexedgar:

I knew about the retroactive denial but not about the moonwalking. Yikes! This guy is unhinged if he thinks he can dance his way out of this mess. Thanks for the surreal update.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Let's face it; there's no logic that can get him out of this! :lamo

Pick your poison? According to the Governor’s remarks this afternoon he “vividly remembers” that neither people in the photo is him...

If he is now saying he "vividly remembers" where was that memory when he initially admitted to it in his first statement. Seems rather obvious he is trying to preserve any chance of staying in politics (miserably).

Rexedgar:

I knew about the retroactive denial but not about the moonwalking. Yikes! This guy is unhinged if he thinks he can dance his way out of this mess. Thanks for the surreal update.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.
He also made a comment that what he was doing was not unusual and was accepted then, but he realizes it was still wrong! Wha??? It_was_the__freaking_eighties!

Let's face it; there's no logic that can get him out of this! :lamo

Pulling the “logic card,” eh? Logic in politics sailed years ago............Gotta “baffle them with bull guano!”

Yep, his original apology indicated he understood he had bad judgement back in 1984. His actions today shows he has bad judgement right now.

Back
Top Bottom