• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

North Koreans are ordered to hand over 'decadent and bourgeois' pet dogs for 'restaurant meat'

soylentgreen

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
North Koreans ordered to hand over pet dogs to be killed for meat as country hit by food shortages | Daily Mail Online

Kim Jong-un has declared that pet dogs are a symbol of capitalist 'decadence' and ordered that dogs in Pyongyang be rounded up - and owners are fearful that their beloved pets are being used to solve the nation's food shortages.

The outlawing of pets will also have come as a surprise to many middle-class Pyongyang residents, who began to keep dogs after the regime attempted to spruce up its image in the run up to the 1989 World Festival of Youth and Students. Embraced as a symbol of economic development and sophistication, wealthy families would be seen walking their pets, which even made appearances on state-run television soap operas.

The country is facing widespread food shortages, aggravated by the decision to close the border with China due to coronavirus. Beijing is traditionally Pyongyang's main supporter and the source of much of the food required to feed Kim's people.

So i hear you americans also are having a problem with many people becoming unemployed and fearful as to where their next meal is coming from.. And a lot of rich people who probably also have pet dogs.

North Koreans ordered to hand over pet dogs to be killed for meat as country hit by food shortages | Daily Mail Online

So i hear you americans also are having a problem with many people becoming unemployed and fearful as to where their next meal is coming from.. And a lot of rich people who probably also have pet dogs.

I always find it amusing how many people just love to eat pork, but the mere thought of eating a dog is a cardinal sin.

And then there's all those ethical vegans with pet cats and dogs, which probably eat 10 times their weight in meat every year.

I always find it amusing how many people just love to eat pork, but the mere thought of eating a dog is a cardinal sin.

And then there's all those ethical vegans with pet cats and dogs, which probably eat 10 times their weight in meat every year.

In South Korea it is illegal.

In South Korea it is also widely done. Even restaurants serve dog.

In South Korea it is illegal.

In South Korea it is also widely done. Even restaurants serve dog.

When I was in Seoul I had dog served in a soup. It tasted and looked like boiled pork. It's not that common and you have to know someone to know where it's served...and the customers were mostly old men. I was told they eat dog for medicinal purposes...but I was really feeling sick and it didn't make me feel better at all. In fact, I couldn't even finish it. lol

When I was in Seoul I had dog served in a soup. It tasted and looked like boiled pork. It's not that common and you have to know someone to know where it's served...and the customers were mostly old men. I was told they eat dog for medicinal purposes...but I was really feeling sick and it didn't make me feel better at all. In fact, I couldn't even finish it. lol

I had a similar situation in china. Stopped at a small diner in a town. The menu was in chinese so i just pointed at one line and asked for that. When the waitress brought me a bowl of vegetables and meat i pointed to the meat, she looked at me and said, "bow wow."

Mine though tasted alright and no bad effects apart from a slight feeling of guilt.

The article is accurate: "Dog meat is most popular in the hot and humid summer months as it is believed to provide energy and stamina."

The article is accurate: "Dog meat is most popular in the hot and humid summer months as it is believed to provide energy and stamina."

Or maybe not...

I have doubts about the truthiness of the article. It reads more like a tabloid than a legit story.

I hate to think they're eating their national dog...and puppies. :(

Or maybe not...

I have doubts about the truthiness of the article. It reads more like a tabloid than a legit story.

I hate to think they're eating their national dog...and puppies. :(

I'm originally from Korea and have lived there on and off throughout my life. It is true that eating dog is falling out of favor, but you can find dog meat if you want it in a lot of places. When I was younger, it was common. Now, you usually only see older people eating it. As the younger generations continue to age the practice will end.

I'm originally from Korea and have lived there on and off throughout my life. It is true that eating dog is falling out of favor, but you can find dog meat if you want it in a lot of places. When I was younger, it was common. Now, you usually only see older people eating it. As the younger generations continue to age the practice will end.

A Korean friend of mine moved to Seoul just before the outbreak. He loves it there. He wasn't born there but like you he visited relatives throughout his life but after his mom passed he decided to move there permanently. I can tell from his FB page that he is much happier. Many years ago, I worked in Seoul for several months. It was an exciting place to be sure.

A Korean friend of mine moved to Seoul just before the outbreak. He loves it there. He wasn't born there but like you he visited relatives throughout his life but after his mom passed he decided to move there permanently. I can tell from his FB page that he is much happier. Many years ago, I worked in Seoul for several months. It was an exciting place to be sure.

That's great. I'm glad your friend is enjoying himself. Seoul is an amazing city. The only reason I don't live there is because NYC feels like the center of the universe to me. It's the capital of the world. Seoul, of course, is a way better place to be during COVID than anywhere in the US.

Anything that far-right tabloid rag prints is suspect and, just like whatever Trump says, it needs rigorous fact-checking. There's an entire forum dedicated to exposing its lies, fabrications and distortions.

Home - Mailwatch Forum

If you have the slightest respect for the truth, don't read the Daily Mail. If you're a Trump fan you won't care about the truth. He doesn't..

How does the Daily Mail get away with blatant lies? - Page 5 - The Student Room

Last edited:

It is a based on post WWII famine that Korea suffered. It was accepted through need and retained through tradition.

I have visited Taegu, Pusan and saw the temples and other historical sites in and around Gyeongju.

Last edited:
It is a based on post WWII famine that Korea suffered. It was accepted through need and retained through tradition.

I have visited Taegu, Pusan and saw the temples and other historical sites in and around Gyeongju.

That must have been a fantastic experience. We in the West have a cultural and emotional affinity with dogs we regard as pets, so I can understand the outrage however misplaced. But then again Guinea Pig, another common pet in the West, is a delicacy in Peru, and the French seem to like horse-another culinary 'tradition' born of poverty.

Last edited:
That must have been a fantastic experience. We in the West have a cultural and emotional affinity with dogs we regard as pets, so I can understand the outrage however misplaced. But then again Guinea Pig, another common pet in the West, is a delicacy in Peru, and the French seem to like horse-another culinary 'tradition' born of poverty.

A restaurant supervisor where I work is Peruvian. We have talked about Guinea Pigs. In Belize I met a family who had a large (small dog sized) rodent as a pet. Until it fattened up. Then it was dinner.

In Louisiana the state is promoting Nutria as a food source. Large Beaver like animal.

Yeah, that was a little weird seeing that on the menu. I tried it at a restaurant that featured it as their specialty - the sign was a big rodent - tasted great. My wife wouldn't try it.... :2razz:

Last edited:
Yeah, that was a little weird seeing that on the menu. I tried it at a restaurant that featured it as their specialty - the sign was a big rodent - tasted great. My wife wouldn't try it.... :2razz:

We're weird when it comes to food. We gag at the thought of eating insects, a great source of protein, yet we're quite happy to eat other creatures with more than four legs. I mean, what's a shrimp but an aquatic 'insect'?;)

No, that is a common American misconception. The practice of eating dog meat goes back at least to the Three Kingdoms period of the 1st through 7th centuries. Koreans were relatively pescatarian until Mongol invasion refugees spilled into the kingdom. While eating dog has never really been completely common, it has also always been a part of Korean culture.

That's a great tour of the southeastern part of the country. Busan is one of my favorite places. I'm glad you did some exploring and hope you enjoyed it.

No, that is a common American misconception. The practice of eating dog meat goes back at least to the Three Kingdoms period of the 1st through 7th centuries. Koreans were relatively pescatarian until Mongol invasion refugees spilled into the kingdom. While eating dog has never really been completely common, it has also always been a part of Korean culture.

That's a great tour of the southeastern part of the country. Busan is one of my favorite places. I'm glad you did some exploring and hope you enjoyed it.

It was incredible. As an American we tend to think 200 years is ancient history.

The Bulguksa complex was incredible. The Grotto Buddha. Built a thousand years before the start of the US.

The Emile Bell was awesome. It puts the Liberty Bell to shame.

The observatory even older than that.

A near religious experience for me.

It was incredible. As an American we tend to think 200 years is ancient history.

The Bulguksa complex was incredible. The Grotto Buddha. Built a thousand years before the start of the US.

The Emile Bell was awesome. It puts the Liberty Bell to shame.

The observatory even older than that.

A near religious experience for me.

Speaking of the Seokguram Grotto, Buddhism contributed to the practice of eating dogs. While Buddhists consider animal life generally sacred anyway, eating beef was forbidden. It would be a dream come true to hear the Emile Bell ring in person.

It is always refreshing to meet Americans who have lived abroad or traveled mindfully. Our perspective is myopic without it. Although I developed an appreciation for ancient history, art, and architecture in southeast Asia as a child, I remember the first time I visited Europe. The Sistine Chapel, Schloss Neuschwanstein, the Colosseum, and the Parthenon left me breathless. I love America's historical landmarks, but there is an awe I feel when I experience the age, complexity, and intricacies of ancient structures, art, and inventions.

Back
Top Bottom