• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

North Korea reportedly fires at South

All I can say is, "Crap...."

I really hope this doesn't escalate. I've seen a few reports saying there are only injuries but I saw one say that there might be a death. I really really really hate the people who run North Korea. And I really really really hope this doesn't escalate, I have friends that are currently living over in South Korea and I don't want to have any possibility of something escalating and they get hurt.

Do you really think that NK exists at more than the whim of the Chinese? The Chinese can make NK go away without "conflict." The Chinese can tell Kim-whatever, that they will look after Kim-whatever and provide all the perks without all the day-to-day nonsense of overseeing an actual country. Throw in the fact that this is not a negotiation and the Koreas will suddenly be reunited.

China is giving NK aid at this point just to buy it off. In order for China to tell NK to go away, that would cause conflict. China does not want conflict. No one in that region does. There is no way to dismantle NK without a war.

Basically global war is inevitable to happen.....no matter what lights the fuse.

War is never inevitable until it's happening. I think you have a very simplified view of the political entanglement relating to NK.

China would not back NK in a war if NK fired the first shot, unless invasion forces from the U.S. or Japan were threatening Chinese soil.

All I can say is, "Crap...."

I really hope this doesn't escalate. I've seen a few reports saying there are only injuries but I saw one say that there might be a death. I really really really hate the people who run North Korea. And I really really really hope this doesn't escalate, I have friends that are currently living over in South Korea and I don't want to have any possibility of something escalating and they get hurt.

I heard an uncomfirmed report of American deaths....hopefully just rumors....hope your friends are safe...

War is never inevitable until it's happening. I think you have a very simplified view of the political entanglement relating to NK.

China would not back NK in a war if NK fired the first shot, unless invasion forces from the U.S. or Japan were threatening Chinese soil.

If your brother punched someone and a group of guys were going to beat the living crap out of him would you stop and interrogate your brother to find out what started it before you helped him?......China will back N Korea in any situation....just like a brother

If your brother punched someone and a group of guys were going to beat the living crap out of him would you stop and interrogate your brother to find out what started it before you helped him?......China will back N Korea in any situation....just like a brother

Your analogy is wrong from the get go.

NK is not China's brother. It is its guard dog... one that is now out of control.

The two Koreas are already at war, so I doubt this would be considered an act of war, yet it certainly is an escalation that calls for a retaliation.

Your analogy is wrong from the get go.

NK is not China's brother. It is its guard dog... one that is now out of control.

I beg to differ.....I guess there is a good chance we will find out someday who is more accurate with their analogy if China will or will not back them....

Yes, well as much as some of you appear to want to believe that North Korea is backed by China, is going to take over South Korea and start WW3, I suspect you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. And likely, have never been to South Korea or know anything about it. If you do a little research and stick your head out every once and a while, you'll find that this sort of thing happens regularly on the Korean peninsula.

This is all we need, involvement in another civil war. Like two is not enough already. The U.S. Should Withdraw From The Korean Peninsula NOW.

please be a troll
please be a troll
please be a troll

I refuse to believe that people this stupid exist! I refuse!

Last edited:
This is the kind of provocation North Korea has often carried out when its pressure/blackmail/extortion tactics don't yield it the desired benefits. In the wake of this act of naked aggression, it is imperative that South Korea, the U.S. and other countries refrain from increasing assistance to North Korea. Until the North Korean regime begins to understand that neither extortion efforts nor military aggression will produce benefits, it will not likely change its behavior.

This is all we need, involvement in another civil war. Like two is not enough already. The U.S. Should Withdraw From The Korean Peninsula NOW.

Abdication and abandonment in the wake of a naked act of aggression carried out against one of the United States' leading Asian allies would shatter America's credibility vis-a-vis its other allies. Under such circumstances, American commitments would ring hollow. U.S. attempts to deter conflict against its allies would be rendered impotent, as would-be aggressors would calculate that there is no willingness on the part of the U.S. to defend its allies.

US presence may be the only thing stopping a real war. There's no denying that whenever China and North Korea think about getting violent with ROK or Japan, not necessarily in full blown war but any level of violence, they have to consider the US presence and response.

Now if we were to left tomorrow South Korea would still be there the day after, but you bet that China and North Korea would begin moving against the ROK. First it would be new diplomatic talks to discuss the changed security situation with North Korea and/or China maybe demanding concessions from the South. Then slowly and slowly they want more and more until its war or South Korea just gives in completely.

BBC Report and linked video

We recently had the sinking by North Korea of a South Korean warship and now this. If NK fired first then a firm and quick response - possibly military - is needed.

We need cool heads right now but also firm action in response. Apparently NK is claiming it didn't fire first so a quick and accurate clarification is needed. What shouldn't happen is the International Community brushing the evidence off or ignoring such provocative action (as they did with the SK warship).

Equally in the light of this - "On Saturday, it emerged that North Korea had also shown off to an American scientist what it claimed was a new uranium enrichment facility," we need to establish whether the two events are linked. NK may need "educating" on the correct ways to raise international spotlights and to have its voice heard.

At this point I think it is appropriate that use of retaliatory force be seriously considered.

Problem is Seoul will be in smolderng ruins whether NK gets it's ass kicked or not.

Basically global war is inevitable to happen.....no matter what lights the fuse.

It is mathmatically better for the U.S. to be in a global war now instead of a few years from now....especially with it being imminent for China to be the most powerful country eventually.

The world is at a tipping point in so many issues that it truly is inevitable for a total global conflict.

China will very likely back N Korea in a conflict.....and in turn Russia will likely back China

If America waits much longer for the imminent global conflict then the less chance of America's survival.

Anyone with an I.Q. high enough can see the clear and distinct pattern and steps leading up to a total global war....

Go back to the conspiracy category where you belong.

I think at this point it is time that we come to the side of our incredible personal, political, and economical ally South Korea. The time for talk right now has passed. The time for action is at hand and I believe that ramping up our armed forces in the Pacific surrounding North Korea would be in the best interest of our allies in Asia.

Exactly where are these forces to ramp up with, going to come from? The US Military is still stretched fairly thin.

Wow, the North Koreans are experts at pushing a *little* bit further.

They know when to push. Clinton... now Carter II. When you have a weakling and apologist as president, it invites these scenarios.

It is mathmatically better for the U.S. to be in a global war now instead of a few years from now....especially with it being imminent for China to be the most powerful country eventually.

The world is at a tipping point in so many issues that it truly is inevitable for a total global conflict.

China will very likely back N Korea in a conflict.....and in turn Russia will likely back China

If America waits much longer for the imminent global conflict then the less chance of America's survival.

Anyone with an I.Q. high enough can see the clear and distinct pattern and steps leading up to a total global war....
in a rare instance, i am delighted my IQ is inadequate to allow me to share your world view
It is mathmatically better for the U.S. to be in a global war now instead of a few years from now ...
please show us your math
a tipping point you insist. please list those intractable issues resolvable only by war
why do you believe russia would back china in its defense of NK?
the easiest and best solution to this long standing problem is regime change. i am hopeful that NK's actions will ultimately provoke china to rid that poor nation of decent people of this ruling family of idiots

had this provocation happened in the ME, iran would now be under attack with the blessing of the USA and the house of saud
note the different standards in the different regions

Dont forget Bush 2 when the NK went nuclear

About 10 seconds after Carter left NK (negotiating on behalf of The Clintons) they put the agreement through the shredder. They must have pissed themselves laughing. One gutless wonder sending another to strike a pose.

Yes, well as much as some of you appear to want to believe that North Korea is backed by China, is going to take over South Korea and start WW3, I suspect you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. And likely, have never been to South Korea or know anything about it. If you do a little research and stick your head out every once and a while, you'll find that this sort of thing happens regularly on the Korean peninsula.

The Koreans regularly shell each other with artillery fire? I don't recall that.

And leave our Ally to fight alone? If this escalates this COULD bring in China AND Russia. THis is VERY not good.
It could escalate and that would bring RUSSIA AND CHINA to our side. So we wouldn't even need to do real fighting.

Back
Top Bottom