• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

North Korea launched no missiles in 2018. But that isn't necessarily due to Trump.

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From NBC News

North Korea launched no missiles in 2018. But that isn't necessarily due to Trump.

North Korea didn't carry out any missile or nuclear tests in 2018 — an apparent vindication of President Donald Trump's unconventional foreign policy approach.

But that may not be the victory the president claims.

Before and after Trump's election and inauguration, North Korea was conducting a flurry of nuclear and missile tests.

The drumbeat reached a peak in 2017, when Kim Jong Un's regime launched its first intercontinental ballistic missiles — theoretically capable of striking the United States mainland. It also tested its most powerful nuclear weapon to date, which it claimed was a miniaturized hydrogen bomb.

Verbal sparring between Trump and Kim escalated and appeared to elevate the threat of a devastating war.

COMMENT:-

It appears that Mr. Trump's grand victory (stopping the DPRK from testing nuclear weapons and nuclear capable delivery systems) somehow overlooked the fact that it didn't actually include the production of either of them. Admittedly the DPRK could quite likely have improved the effectiveness of weapons that already worked sufficiently well to achieve their goals, but it also seems that the DPRK is satisfied with "good enough" rather that indulging in a "race for perfection".

PS - When someone says "I am going to __[fill in the blank]__." you can't (rationally) accuse them of being deceptive when they actually do it (unless, of course, you base that "rational" accusation on "Well I know that you said you were going to do it - but I didn't believe you.". If you bet that Mr. Trump's accusation that the DPRK government was being deceptive will be appearing on "Twitter" shortly you are likely to win.

North Korea probably ran out of resources, means, and money to produce more missiles.

They can offer "good enough" all they want, and I agree that Trump is not the reason for a lack of activity from North Korea in this area.

North Korea probably ran out of resources, means, and money to produce more missiles.

They can offer "good enough" all they want, and I agree that Trump is not the reason for a lack of activity from North Korea in this area.

The current assessments (which could be wrong) is that the DPRK is no longer "testing" because it is "producing".

"Testing" puts stuff out in the open - "producing" doesn't. That means that it's one heck of a lot harder to detect "producing" than it is to detect "testing".

What that means is that there is a "lack of DETECTED activity" which may, or may not, be the same thing as a "lack of activity".

Back
Top Bottom