• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

North Korea Just Set Off a Nuclear Weapon

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Dont have a link yet. Just happened. North Korea has defied the UN and conducted its first ever nuclear test.

danarhea said:
Dont have a link yet. Just happened. North Korea has defied the UN and conducted its first ever nuclear test.

Oh sh!t those ****ing idiots they did it warning after warning and they went ahead and did it anyways, I'm calling for a preemptive first strike this Kim Jon Il can not be allowed to possess a nuclear weapon with which to hold the world hostage.

Last edited:
Here's a link:

Report: NK may have performed nuclear test

SEOUL, South Korea (AP)-- South Korean government officials said North Korea performed its first nuclear weapons test Monday, the South's Yonhap news agency reported
North Korea's official KCNA news agency reported the country has performed a successful nuclear test.
South Korean officials could not immediately confirm the Yonhap report.
South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun convened an urgent meeting of security advisers over the issue, Yonhap reported.
The North said last week it would conduct a nuclear test as part of its deterrent against a possible U.S. invasion.
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/10/08/korea.nuclear.test.ap/index.html

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Oh sh!t those ****ing idiots they did it warning after warning and they went ahead and did it anyways, I'm calling for a preemptive first strike this Kim Jon Il can not be allowed to possess a nuclear weapon to hold the world hostage.

Looks like we agree on something finally. NK has the capabilty to hit Hawaii, so this may turn out to be nasty. My suggestion is to glass over North Korea before they have a chance to get their birds aloft.

Oh sh!t those ****ing idiots they did it warning after warning and they went ahead and did it anyways, I'm calling for a preemptive first strike this Kim Jon Il can not be allowed to possess a nuclear weapon to hold the world hostage.
unfortunately its too late for that... they already have the nuke...
plus, at this point I think its better not to even give the bastard the time of day for a preemptive strike.
He's a power hungry dictator, he knows how fast his country will be sunk if he deploys one of those nukes...
Now its time to plot against Iran before THEY develop the weapon.

danarhea said:
Looks like we agree on something finally. NK has the capabilty to hit Hawaii, so this may turn out to be nasty. My suggestion is to glass over North Korea before they have a chance to get their birds aloft.

This is simply an unacceptable situation, Kim Jun Il is simply to unpredictable to be allowed to have his finger on the button.

gynks2001 said:
unfortunately its too late for that... they already have the nuke...
plus, at this point I think its better not to even give the bastard the time of day for a preemptive strike.
He's a power hungry dictator, he knows how fast his country will be sunk if he deploys one of those nukes...
Now its time to plot against Iran before THEY develop the weapon.

You don't get it I meant a preemptive nuclear first strike a nuclear Kim Jun Il is simply to dangerous to be allowed. A nuclear first strike would have the duel benefit of destroying the North Korean threat, as well as, proving to Iran that we're not ****ing around about this.

This is simply an unacceptable situation, Kim Jun Il is simply to unpredictable to be allowed to have his finger on the button.

We most likely already know where their silos are. I suggest we hit them hard. The scenario may play out as follows:

1) We hit their silos.

2) If they have any nukes left, they will launch. Lets hope not.

3) They will begin shelling Seoul with their long range artillery, while attacking the border at the same time, so that means getting reinforcements to the area ASAP.

4) NK will probably make some gains from an incursion into the south, but they can be held off.

5) Possible - A nuke about 100 miles north of the border to disrupt any possible attempt to organize invading the South.

6) A second round of nuclear strikes by us should put the lid on the situation completely, and bring about their surrender.

You don't get it I meant a preemptive nuclear first strike a nuclear Kim Jun Il is simply to dangerous to be allowed. A nuclear first strike would have the duel benefit of destroying the North Korean threat, as well as, proving to Iran that we're not ****ing around about this.
One problem, youre forgetting about SKorea...

We have a tactical nuclear capability.
a nuke is a nuke.
Nkorea and Skorea are way to close to attempt something like that.
plus, Hawaii wont be his first target... Hes got much bigger enemies than the US.
China, Japan, Skorea are all probably higher on the list then Hawaii.
We can let them deal with it.

There is no official confirmation of a nuclear test by N. Korea. It could be a bluff by Kim Jong II. Remember, in 1994 the U.S. drew up plans to launch pre-emptive strikes against N.Korean silos, but those plans were scraped in hopes that six-party talks would be more diplomatic.

Don't believe the hype. N.Korea would be obliterated if she actually launched a nuclear missle...

What N.Korea has done will probably cause Japan to go nuclear.

I can't beleive we have got to this point w/o doing something. Hopefully China doesn't have their heads in their asses on this one.

Devastating as this news is, Danarhea, TOT step back and think about it rationally.

This Nuclear device was 10' in length, weighed 4 tonnes.

If you are able to think rationally, try this for size, how can they hope to mount this onto an ICBM.

Quote:
(1) We hit their silos. Possible.

2) If they have any nukes left, they will launch. Lets hope not. What will they attatch it to?

3) They will begin shelling Seoul with their long range artillery, while attacking the border at the same time, so that means getting reinforcements to the area ASAP. Possible.

4) NK will probably make some gains from an incursion into the south, but they can be held off. Possible, but what will China do? Do you want a war with China?

5) Possible - A nuke about 100 miles north of the border to disrupt any possible attempt to organize invading the South. Possible. But what will China do? are we prepared for a war with China?

6) A second round of nuclear strikes by us should put the lid on the situation completely, and bring about their surrender. Possible. But what will China do? Do we want a nuclear war with China?. And even if they did surrender (doubtful) who would they surrender to? US, China, UN, Russia?

NK loves to posture on the world scene, what they really want is 1 on 1 talks with US, this should not be allowed, talks with and as part of 6 nation talks are only way out of this mess.

Be interesting to see the rest of you warmongers coming down on me like a ton of bricks.

Nuclear war is not the same as Terrorist actions or even conventional war, if a worldwide nuclear war is set into being, then ALL and yes I do mean ALL humanity will have to put up with the fallout from that war.

Do not imagine that if the US did decide to make a unilateral attack (Nuclear) on NK that this would be ignored by China / Russia and indeed any other country currently owning and able to deploy Nuclear weapons.

Let us hope and pray that calmer minds are employed in deciding whatever reaction the US gives.

jujuman13 said:
Devastating as this news is, Danarhea, TOT step back and think about it rationally.

If you are able to think rationally, try this for size, how can they hope to mount this onto an ICBM.

Quote:
(1) We hit their silos. Possible.

2) If they have any nukes left, they will launch. Lets hope not. What will they attatch it to?

3) They will begin shelling Seoul with their long range artillery, while attacking the border at the same time, so that means getting reinforcements to the area ASAP. Possible.

4) NK will probably make some gains from an incursion into the south, but they can be held off. Possible, but what will China do? Do you want a war with China?

5) Possible - A nuke about 100 miles north of the border to disrupt any possible attempt to organize invading the South. Possible. But what will China do? are we prepared for a war with China?

6) A second round of nuclear strikes by us should put the lid on the situation completely, and bring about their surrender. Possible. But what will China do? Do we want a nuclear war with China?. And even if they did surrender (doubtful) who would they surrender to? US, China, UN, Russia?

NK loves to posture on the world scene, what they really want is 1 on 1 talks with US, this should not be allowed, talks with and as part of 6 nation talks are only way out of this mess.

Be interesting to see the rest of you warmongers coming down on me like a ton of bricks.

Nuclear war is not the same as Terrorist actions or even conventional war, if a worldwide nuclear war is set into being, then ALL and yes I do mean ALL humanity will have to put up with the fallout from that war.

Do not imagine that if the US did decide to make a unilateral attack (Nuclear) on NK that this would be ignored by China / Russia and indeed any other country currently owning and able to deploy Nuclear weapons.

Let us hope and pray that calmer minds are employed in deciding whatever reaction the US gives.
i must say I agree... once a country like NK gets nukes, its too late to preempt... the chances that theyll launch one are so low its not worth the fallout of a nuclear attack, resulting in a nuclear war and the official end of the Cold War.

My oh my, here is TOT who likes to be thought of a a Law abiding citizen, openly deciding to breach copyright by displaying the article written by

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Ah well, anyone knows Laws are only there to be broken.

I would have no problem with a simultaneous, strategic strike on N. Korea's silos, development sites and command and control, but we will need a fair amount of World Support
Hopefully this situation, now that it is reality, will do that

jujuman13 said:

I would be happy, for the short term, if we just took out N. Koreas long range capabilities
than their nukes will really be 'local' problem
until they start selling it on the terrorist/rogue nations market

This was just sooner or later. N. Korea had nuclear capacity for a long time, just never openly demonstrated that they were nuclear.
This really changes nothing except now the dog has barked.

Next on the list, S. Korea will go nuclear within a few weeks; perhaps, then Japan's radicalist right just got the best bday present they could hope for. Now a chance to cross out thier 9th. Then China will get angsty with Japan's nuclear.

I wonder if the 08 olympics will be under a nuclear winter?

Since we've been saying **** you to all international treaties since the fall of the soviet union, I guess other countries are now following suit and saying **** you as well.
I'm actually wishing the soviet union were back.

Last edited:
No it's not if we do it correctly.
You ever try working with radiation? Containment of a nuclear explosion is not a matter of "if we do it correctly". What you are saying is "So long Korea, and so long to western Japan".

jfuh said:
You ever try working with radiation? Containment of a nuclear explosion is not a matter of "if we do it correctly". What you are saying is "So long Korea, and so long to western Japan".

Wrong. Tactical nukes have a yield of less than one kiloton.

danarhea said:
Wrong. Tactical nukes have a yield of less than one kiloton.
Like I said, ever work with radiation? Yield has very little to do with how you contain radiation. It doesn't just "disappear" with low yields.

jfuh said:
Like I said, ever work with radiation? Yield has very little to do with how you contain radiation. It doesn't just "disappear" with low yields.

There is not enough radiation to reach Japan in the kind of quantities you are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom