• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

North Korea, Iran should they be allowed to have nuclear weapons?

superskippy said:
Where did you hear that....
I heard this from a program of Phoenix TV station which is in Hongkong. The name is "Li Ao has something to talk about" ( I translate it literally). It's a program talking about Taiwan politics and the presider is the Taiwan scholar Li Ao who has been in Taiwan for 50 odds years. He is a famous historian and writer. I think Ludahai must know about him. Maybe he also watched the program. I don't think he was bluffing.

Last edited:
Not trying to offend you Frank, but could that have been an attempt for propaganda to the disliking of America by the Chinese government.

yeah I know, I'm a bit paranoid but when a General of a powerful nation, such as China, decides that if he had it his way.. he'd declare War on my nation I have a reason to be a bit paranoid.

Arch Enemy said:
Not trying to offend you Frank, but could that have been an attempt for propaganda to the disliking of America by the Chinese government.

yeah I know, I'm a bit paranoid but when a General of a powerful nation, such as China, decides that if he had it his way.. he'd declare War on my nation I have a reason to be a bit paranoid.
Phoenix TV station is a liberal station and is not manipulated by Chinese government. I don't think Chinese govenment make use of it for propaganda.
I found most Americans are friendly and I like American people. I also like Taiwan people because we have the same culture, tradition and speak the same language. We are a ethnic group. However, for the nation interest US make use of Taiwan as a weapon against China. US provides Taiwan with sophisticated commen weapons such as missiles and warships. But US doesn't allow Taiwan to have nuclear weapons. Because he just make use of Taiwan, not to help Taiwan.

Ah ok, see I wouldn't have known if Phoenix Television was Propaganda or not.

I'm glad that we have some friends in China! I agree, I don't think its right for a country who has invaded 2 countries in a span of 2 years to have 50% of the Worlds nukes but not let one such as Taiwan have them... But overall I'm for the complete destruction of nuclear weapons. I don't think any nation should be able to have such a deadly power, Zeus would be jealous.

frankguy said:
Hi there, I'm from Shanghai,China. I konw you are from Taibei.

Actually, I live in Taichung, the third largest city which is located in the center of the country. BTW, I used to live in Shanghai. I have lived in Yangpu, Nanshi, and Pudong.

Maybe we have different political views but I can do my best to be neutral. I don't think Taiwan can develop nuclear weapons. Why? Beacause US won't let Taiwan do it. In the 90's last century, Tainwan had developed nuclears secretly and it was found by US intelligenct agency. They forced Taiwan to destoy all the nuclear weapons developing facilities.

Actually, it was in the 1970s, NOT the 1990s, when it was alleged that Taiwan had a nuclear program. It has never been proven, though it is very plausible as Taiwan certainly has the technical know-how to pull it off.

The current administration is not presently interested in pursuing the nuclear option because it wants peace, unlike the bullies on the other side of the Strait.

YouGotOwned said:
Another country that really disturbs me is Israel. Israel claims they do not have nuclear weapons but some unofficial sources say they do possess nuclear weapons.
Israel has never claimed that it does not possess nuclear weapons. It has always maintained an official policy known as *plausible denial* which in effect neither confirms nor denies nuclear weapons capability.

I would however, remind the reader that Israel has had nuclear reactors for power generation since 1957. In a way, I find the question of Israeli nuclear weapons capability almost laughable. Jewish physicists played a decisive role in the development of both American and Russian nuclear weapons, and Israel has never had a shortage of nuclear physicists.

The Federation of American Scientists (of which I am a member) is dedicated to ending nuclear proliferation and the eventual eradication of all WMD. FAS estimates that Israel has a nuclear arsenal of 200 warheads, which is larger than that of Britain. The strategic/tactical mix here is on the order of 40/60.

Since it has never acknowledged a nuclear weapons capability, Israel is not a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. Iran and North Korea are signatories to the NNPT. What's more, Israel has never threatened anyone with a nuclear response... quite unlike both Iran and North Korea. Both have publically threatened nuclear retaliation as a legitimate response to any real or perceived attack.

In addition, the strategic range of Israeli missiles finds Moscow on the outer perimeter. North Korean missiles already encompass the western United States and this range will be extended. Iranian missiles currently cover all of Europe and the next (fourth) generation will encompass the continental United States.

YouGotOwned said:
Israel’s demands are just too extensive and therefore Israel is holding back the scientific research of Nuclear weapons.
There is no need to further research nuclear weapons. The nuclear fuel-cycle is well understood by all moderately technical nations and missile technology is growing expoentially.

Your thread thesis is illogical and you have placed the soverign right to proliferate nuclear weapons above the global imperative of WMD eradication. The world needs less nuclear weapons YouGotOwned, not more.

ludahai said:
Actually, it was in the 1970s, NOT the 1990s, when it was alleged that Taiwan had a nuclear program. It has never been proven, though it is very plausible as Taiwan certainly has the technical know-how to pull it off.The current administration is not presently interested in pursuing the nuclear option because it wants peace, unlike the bullies on the other side of the Strait.
US absolutely cannot allow Taiwan possess nuclear weapon no matter he is interested in it or not. It's what he has done in the recently 50 years. And Tainwan govenment has no ability to against US govenment but to listen to every word he said.
How come you believe Taiwan government is not interested in nuclear weapons? You can't believe the "president" A Bian. He cheated the world by false assassination right before the election day. Cheating is a cinch for him.

We got Taiwan's back. We will go to the mat for them, don't ever forget that. But you know that already, or you would have taken Taiwan over already. Nothing has changed in China I see. Eh ludahai?

Anyone who can read, can use tools, an understanding of electricity, and a garage, can build a nuke. Obtaining enriched Uranium is the problem.

frankguy said:
How come you believe Taiwan government is not interested in nuclear weapons? You can't believe the "president" A Bian. He cheated the world by false assassination right before the election day. Cheating is a cinch for him.

Hmmm, me thinks you are reading ChiCom propoganda again.

teacher said:
Anyone who can read, can use tools, an understanding of electricity, and a garage, can build a nuke. Obtaining enriched Uranium is the problem.

And Taiwan has a ready supply of uranium from its well developed nuclear energy industry.

ludahai said:
Hmmm, me thinks you are reading ChiCom propoganda again.
How do you think so? I hope you don't always possess such prejudice on China government. Not everything in China is wrong and everything is Taiwan is right. But I doubt US media always misleads you and demonizes China.

frankguy said:
How do you think so? I hope you don't always possess such prejudice on China government. Not everything in China is wrong and everything is Taiwan is right. But I doubt US media always misleads you and demonizes China.

I didn't say that this was the case, however, it is an obvious fact that the people of Taiwan are far more free than those in China. As for the US media misleading me, one, I don't currently live in the United States. 2. I have lived in China, as I already noted in a response to an earlier post.

I have seen for myself the situation that the Chinese government forces on the Chinese people. Even though I am better with traditional characters than the simplified ones used in China, I do manage to read through the Chinese newswebsites (through they are little more than propoganda) so I get to see more so than most other Westerners the reality of the garbage they are feeding their people.

ludahai said:
I didn't say that this was the case, however, it is an obvious fact that the people of Taiwan are far more free than those in China. As for the US media misleading me, one, I don't currently live in the United States. 2. I have lived in China, as I already noted in a response to an earlier post.

I have seen for myself the situation that the Chinese government forces on the Chinese people. Even though I am better with traditional characters than the simplified ones used in China, I do manage to read through the Chinese newswebsites (through they are little more than propoganda) so I get to see more so than most other Westerners the reality of the garbage they are feeding their people.
China has many problems which are much more complex than Taiwan. So you cannot compare everything in China with other countries.

ludahai said:
Ni liao bu liaojie wo shuo de (hua) - 你了不了解我說的(話) would be better. The "hua" at the end would be optional in this usage.

Don't remember "liao" at all. but then it's been 20 years. I'll look it up. Still remember, "Cesuo zai nar", though. And, "Wo xihuan yiping pijiu"(?) . (Xiexie)(Xeixei)? ni Ludahai. Chinese girls in restaurants get a kick from my American accent.

teacher said:
Don't remember "liao" at all. but then it's been 20 years. I'll look it up. Still remember, "Cesuo zai nar", though. And, "Wo xihuan yiping pijiu"(?) . (Xiexie)(Xeixei)? ni Ludahai. Chinese girls in restaurants get a kick from my American accent.

The word is liaojie 了解 and the verb + 不 + verb is also indicative of a question, thus no need to use a question particle, such as ma 嗎 at the end.

As for accents, I apparently have developed such a standard Taiwanese accent that when I am out, people who weren't looking at me when they hear me speak Mandarin will make a noticable double-take when they notice that I am white. I am sure the Chinese girls back in the States LOVE the fact that you speak even a little Chinese. The Shanghai girls sure loved it when I was living there. :)

ludahai said:
am sure the Chinese girls back in the States LOVE the fact that you speak even a little Chinese. The Shanghai girls sure loved it when I was living there. :)
Not exactly. Only Shanghai prostitute likes such people. They are the prostitutes' favorite.

Back
Top Bottom