• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

North Korea defector says the left is nuts.

Fishking

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
It's pretty bad when someone from a completely oppressive radical left regime comes to the U.S. and says that the left here in our universities are just as crazy as they are in North Korea.

Famed North Korean defector Yeonmi Park offered a chilling account of her time at Columbia University, saying that not even North Korea went to the level of brainwashing that she witnessed.

“I expected that I was paying this fortune, all this time and energy, to learn how to think. But they are forcing you to think the way they want you to think,” she said. “I realized, wow, this is insane. I thought America was different but I saw so many similarities to what I saw in North Korea that I started worrying.”

Like in North Korea, Park said she witnessed example after example of anti-Western sentiment and guilt-tripping. During her orientation, for instance, a staff member scolded her for liking classic literature.

“I said ‘I love those books.’ I thought it was a good thing,” Park said of her orientation. “Then she said, ‘Did you know those writers had a colonial mindset? They were racists and bigots and are subconsciously brainwashing you.’”

Definitely some crazies on the left. The right however has gone full retard with their adoration of trump

It's pretty bad when someone from a completely oppressive radical left regime comes to the U.S. and says that the left here in our universities are just as crazy as they are in North Korea.

Famed North Korean defector Yeonmi Park offered a chilling account of her time at Columbia University, saying that not even North Korea went to the level of brainwashing that she witnessed.

“I expected that I was paying this fortune, all this time and energy, to learn how to think. But they are forcing you to think the way they want you to think,” she said. “I realized, wow, this is insane. I thought America was different but I saw so many similarities to what I saw in North Korea that I started worrying.”

Like in North Korea, Park said she witnessed example after example of anti-Western sentiment and guilt-tripping. During her orientation, for instance, a staff member scolded her for liking classic literature.

“I said ‘I love those books.’ I thought it was a good thing,” Park said of her orientation. “Then she said, ‘Did you know those writers had a colonial mindset? They were racists and bigots and are subconsciously brainwashing you.’”

and you post this nonsense for what reason?

other than the obvious 🤡

They won't actually address the OP. Just a bunch of cowardly and intellectually dishonest posts that we've already seen.
My view is that there were many unconscionable actions by the west and they should be acknowledged but now the west seems to be wallowing in self hatred and it is especially evident on university campuses.

I literally cannot remember the last time I saw the west celebrated for it’s fine and original contributions to world culture. Governance, art, music, literature, philosophy. All bad because of racism, sexism, ethnic chauvinism, too heterosexual centric, etc..

It used to be said “don’t throw out the baby with the bath water”.

That sentiment seems to be lost.

Perhaps it takes defectors to appreciate what the west has so casually dismissed.

This trope is as old as the internet itself. "Refugee from totalitarian country of ______ says that Democrats are crazy!!!!"

Also: "I used to be a crazy wacky lefty loon until I became the crazy wacky righty loon I am now!!!!"

You guys need new gimmicks.

I wonder if Ms.Park found the meals at Columbia comparable with what she had back home…….

@Fishking , Daily Wire?

Lol!

Yeonmi Park (the student in question) has an interesting expectations of the college experience:

Yeonmi Park said:
I expected that I was paying this fortune, all this time and energy, to learn how to think. But they are forcing you to think the way they want you to think. I realized, wow, this is insane. I thought America was different but I saw so many similarities to what I saw in North Korea that I started worrying.

Interestingly enough, with all of these apparent similarities to North Korea, we are nothing like that country or are even on the road to becoming it. If there's indoctrination at work to make us into a country like that, it's not working.

English is my third language. I learned it as an adult. I sometimes still say ‘he’ or ‘she’ by mistake and now they are going to ask me to call them ‘they’? How the heck do I incorporate that into my sentences? It was chaos. It felt like the regression in civilization.

Actually it's progress in that as a society we're not pushing these issues underground and pretending they don't exist.

Where are we going from here? There’s no rule of law, no morality, nothing is good or bad anymore, it’s complete chaos. I guess that’s what they want, to destroy every single thing and rebuild into a Communist paradise
Really? There are plenty of laws and what is good and bad is still known. Given that communists have no chance politically in this country, I'm not sure how she thinks the "Communist paradise" will be built.

I wonder if Ms.Park found the meals at Columbia comparable with what she had back home…….

@Fishking , Daily Wire?

Lol!
Why don't you ask her or address the issue at hand, that being someone from ****ing NK says leftists are U.S. universities are full of indoctrination. You know, someone who actually lived and grew up in that environment might have some thoughts and perspective.

Any thoughts there or are you going to continue to write coward's posts and talk about the Daily Wire, which is irrelevant?

This trope is as old as the internet itself. "Refugee from totalitarian country of ______ says that Democrats are crazy!!!!"

Also: "I used to be a crazy wacky lefty loon until I became the crazy wacky righty loon I am now!!!!"

You guys need new gimmicks.
Are you saying her statements are thoughts are made up?

My view is that there were many unconscionable actions by the west and they should be acknowledged but now the west seems to be wallowing in self hatred and it is especially evident on university campuses.

I literally cannot remember the last time I saw the west celebrated for it’s fine and original contributions to world culture. Governance, art, music, literature, philosophy. All bad because of racism, sexism, ethnic chauvinism, too heterosexual centric, etc..

It used to be said “don’t throw out the baby with the bath water”.

That sentiment seems to be lost.

Perhaps it takes defectors to appreciate what the west has so casually dismissed.
Precisely. There are definitely issues in the past and even present that are pretty bad. However, none of those issues are unique to the U.S. You can plumb through the history and current issues of any country in the world and find similar things.

Also, as you've touched on, we've contributed significantly around the world. Our Constitution was pretty groundbreaking and the improvement of human rights around the world from our influence has been significant. We held together Europe, after WWII, from coming fully under control of Soviet Russia. The list goes on and on.

I’m saying that the internet has been around for 28 years and conservatives have been using the exact same gimmicks the whole time.
Try again, but answer my question this time or go the **** away.

This lady is just spewing nonsense, there is nothing more brainwashing than North Korea, well maybe Trumpism but North Korean is still really the worst on the planet when it comes to politics, in religion there are worse brainwashing groups yet.

Yeonmi Park (the student in question) has an interesting expectations of the college experience:

Interestingly enough, with all of these apparent similarities to North Korea, we are nothing like that country or are even on the road to becoming it. If there's indoctrination at work to make us into a country like that, it's not working.
Yeah...it doesn't happen overnight. You're dismissing her comments about how universities supposed to teach how to think but they aren't doing that. They are telling them what to think, per her estimation. What you can't say is that "it's nothing like it" when she came her from there and would know more about that than you.
Actually it's progress in that as a society we're not pushing these issues underground and pretending they don't exist.
Really? You feel like we are progressing right now? Doesn't seem like it to me.
Really? There are plenty of laws and what is good and bad is still known. Given that communists have no chance politically in this country, I'm not sure how she thinks the "Communist paradise" will be built.
You didn't read her comment very well, I don't think. She said "rule of law", which is breaking down. We see rioters and protesters brazenly breaking the law and it being allowed. I watched a video of protesters illegally blocking traffic just being watched and allowed to happen by a police officer. A driver got out and was yelling at them and one of the protesters pulled a gun. The officer still did nothing except start going after the lawful citizen that was made about traffic being blocked.

Everyone has phones with cameras on them now, and the internet. You can't hide this shit anymore, even if the media likes to ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom