• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

North Korea could be 'moving forward' with nuclear program, analysts say

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From United Press International

NEW YORK, Nov. 7 (UPI) -- North Korea could be quietly moving forward with its nuclear weapons program while stalling talks on denuclearization -- as differences between the United States and South Korea raise new concerns, analysts tell UPI.

In a week that began with fresh threats from Pyongyang to restart its nuclear program over the weekend, followed by the abrupt cancellation of a planned meeting in New York between U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and North Korean official Kim Yong Chol, the latest setbacks are not surprising given the regime's escalating rhetoric, North Korea watchers say.

Terence Roehrig, a professor of national security affairs at the U.S. Naval War College, in Newport, R.I., said there is no way of confirming whether North Korea has abandoned its weapons of mass destruction.

"Moving forward with their nuclear program doesn't necessarily involve testing in the high profile ways they've done it in the past," Roehrig said. "And we've already seen evidence where there are indicators that the North Koreans have continued to move forward with their nuclear program."

COMMENT:-

This is, obviously, nothing but fake news because everyone knows that Mr. Trump negotiated a clear, concise, and absolutely binding deal with Mr. Kim that was 100% successful in ensuring that the DPRK would NEVER have nuclear weapons and that there would be peace in our time.

Besides we should all wait for the facts (i.e. the DPRK launches a missile (that we have 100% positive confirmation was built solely by the DPRK [that confirmation consisting of a complete, uninterrupted, video recording of every step in the construction of the missile {which video was taken personally by Donald Trump}]) that is armed with a nuclear weapon (that we have 100% positive confirmation was built solely by the DPRK [that confirmation consisting of a complete, uninterrupted, video recording of every step in the construction of the missile {which video was taken personally by Donald Trump}]) and explodes that nuclear weapon - in a controlled detonation (that we have 100% positive confirmation was built solely by the DPRK [that confirmation consisting of a complete, uninterrupted, video recording of every step in the construction of the missile {which video was taken personally by Donald Trump}]).

Right?

NEW YORK, Nov. 7 (UPI) -- North Korea could be quietly moving forward with its nuclear weapons program while stalling talks on denuclearization -- as differences between the United`UOTE]

Ask yourself, what are other countries doing to control North Korea? Where is South Korea, Japan, Vietnam, etc? What about the other global powers in Europe?

Oh wait, I guess the United States must take the lead in curbing N. Korea and it doesn't help that China is enabling them.

NEW YORK, Nov. 7 (UPI) -- North Korea could be quietly moving forward with its nuclear weapons program while stalling talks on denuclearization -- as differences between the United States and South Korea raise new concerns, analysts tell UPI.

In a week that began with fresh threats from Pyongyang to restart its nuclear program over the weekend, followed by the abrupt cancellation of a planned meeting in New York between U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and North Korean official Kim Yong Chol, the latest setbacks are not surprising given the regime's escalating rhetoric, North Korea watchers say.

Terence Roehrig, a professor of national security affairs at the U.S. Naval War College, in Newport, R.I., said there is no way of confirming whether North Korea has abandoned its weapons of mass destruction.

"Moving forward with their nuclear program doesn't necessarily involve testing in the high profile ways they've done it in the past," Roehrig said. "And we've already seen evidence where there are indicators that the North Koreans have continued to move forward with their nuclear program."

This is, obviously, nothing but fake news because everyone knows that Mr. Trump negotiated a clear, concise, and absolutely binding deal with Mr. Kim that was 100% successful in ensuring that the DPRK would NEVER have nuclear weapons and that there would be peace in our time.

Besides we should all wait for the facts (i.e. the DPRK launches a missile (that we have 100% positive confirmation was built solely by the DPRK [that confirmation consisting of a complete, uninterrupted, video recording of every step in the construction of the missile {which video was taken personally by Donald Trump}]) that is armed with a nuclear weapon (that we have 100% positive confirmation was built solely by the DPRK [that confirmation consisting of a complete, uninterrupted, video recording of every step in the construction of the missile {which video was taken personally by Donald Trump}]) and explodes that nuclear weapon - in a controlled detonation (that we have 100% positive confirmation was built solely by the DPRK [that confirmation consisting of a complete, uninterrupted, video recording of every step in the construction of the missile {which video was taken personally by Donald Trump}]).

Right?

Don't know if it's "fake news", but it certainly is rumor and speculation. That's almost as bad as fake news.

Don't know if it's "fake news", but it certainly is rumor and speculation. That's almost as bad as fake news.

Indeed we should wait until you, personally, have seen (the originals of) all the evidence (and been personally satisfied that that evidence is, in fact, concrete, irrefutable, and unaltered [by which you mean that you have personally gathered it]) before making any decisions whatsoever on anything.

Indeed we should wait until you, personally, have seen (the originals of) all the evidence (and been personally satisfied that that evidence is, in fact, concrete, irrefutable, and unaltered [by which you mean that you have personally gathered it]) before making any decisions whatsoever on anything.

I'd be happy if the rumor mill media would actually cite named sources who have actual evidence.

I'm not interested in rumors or spin, speculation, innuendo or hyperbole based on rumors.

I'd be happy if the rumor mill media would actually cite named sources who have actual evidence.

I'm not interested in rumors or spin, speculation, innuendo or hyperbole based on rumors.
Why so eager to discount something that doesn't fit with your narrative? If only there was was prior behavior from the DPRK that aligned with this reporting...

Why so eager to discount something that doesn't fit with your narrative? If only there was was prior behavior from the DPRK that aligned with this reporting...

LOL!!

Tell me...What do you think my narrative would be?

I'd be shocked if they weren't.

They gave Trump a handshake knowing full well his vanity would require him to claim it as some great victory, and perhaps also knowing that his supporters and defenders would praise him for "at least trying" (it happened here). In doing so, they simultaneously bought cover for further work on the nuclear program as they have done many times in the past with these nods to negotiation, AND scored a relations coup with their people: the President of the US recognized the regime, even bowing to one of its demands (call off joint exercises).

And as predicted, they've kept us dangling. Calling us out for further negotiations, then backing down. Yadda yadda. It's been a transparent ploy from the start.

They gave Trump a handshake knowing full well his vanity would require him to claim it as some great victory, and perhaps also knowing that his supporters and defenders would praise him for "at least trying" (it happened here). In doing so, they simultaneously bought cover for further work on the nuclear program as they have done many times in the past with these nods to negotiation, AND scored a relations coup with their people: the President of the US recognized the regime, even bowing to one of its demands (call off joint exercises).

And as predicted, they've kept us dangling. Calling us out for further negotiations, then backing down. Yadda yadda. It's been a transparent ploy from the start.

That's the more telling aspect; they're playing games to buy time. If Jong-un were serious about denuclearization, he would have worked out a plan with his military and already be negotiating terms with South Korea and the US. Saying so publicly would have earned him credibility and shown sincerity. None of this happened, so all we have are lofty promises with no means of vetting. When Jong-un made the comment about the US scaling down their nuclear weapons I had a feeling these negotiations are a cat and mouse game. Anyone serious about their intentions would be negotiating terms and not wasting time.

LOL!!

Tell me...What do you think my narrative would be?
At a guess. That you have faith in President Trump to bring about a peaceful conclusion to the North Korea problem and bring them back in to the international fold. How am I doing?

Right?

Having nukes is NK's only Ace card, would you give up your only good card. Anyone who thought they were going to de nuke would also buy some ocean front property in Arizona.

No one has ever been disappointed/lied to when they were “in love,” right?

At a guess. That you have faith in President Trump to bring about a peaceful conclusion to the North Korea problem and bring them back in to the international fold. How am I doing?

Not very good.

I have no idea if there will ever be a peaceful conclusion to the NK problem. However, Trump has done more than all other Presidents in moving the process forward.

Now. Another question for you: What does this have to do with my dismissal of uncited rumors and speculation?

Not very good.

I have no idea if there will ever be a peaceful conclusion to the NK problem. However, Trump has done more than all other Presidents in moving the process forward.

Now. Another question for you: What does this have to do with my dismissal of uncited rumors and speculation?
You dismissed the story as "rumor and speculation", when in fact it is playing out exactly as it has countless times before. I would also disagree that President Trump has done more that previous presidents in this process. All presidents who have faced this particular problem have failed to move things forward. All President Trump has done is take victory laps for the appearance of doing something.

You dismissed the story as "rumor and speculation", when in fact it is playing out exactly as it has countless times before. I would also disagree that President Trump has done more that previous presidents in this process. All presidents who have faced this particular problem have failed to move things forward. All President Trump has done is take victory laps for the appearance of doing something.

LOL!!

Perhaps you should wait till Trump is out of office before you judge him.

Be aware...Trump can't snap his fingers and make it happen.

In any case, all this "I hate Trump" nonsense from you doesn't change the fact that the OP's article is nothing more than speculation based on rumor.

Are all nations equal or not?

If they are NOT equal, then the BIG FIVE of the United Nations (U.S., Russia, UK, France, and China) should just walk into North Korea, seize the weapons, and exile that little fat dude to a comfortable island.

BUT if all the nations ARE truly equal, then it is no other nation's business what kind of weapons North Korea has.

After all, everyone knows that Israel has nuclear weapons; yet, no one (least of all the U.S.) is demanding that it give up its weapons.

I know that it is counterintuitive, but maybe there's a better chance of world peace if there were MORE nations with nuclear weapons.

Right?
Sounds more like a hope of UPI to wish that kind of failure just so they could say "told ya so"...

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

Definitely fake news. trump said Kim Jong Un was his new best friend and would never to stuff like this.

Are all nations equal or not?

If they are NOT equal, then the BIG FIVE of the United Nations (U.S., Russia, UK, France, and China) should just walk into North Korea, seize the weapons, and exile that little fat dude to a comfortable island.

BUT if all the nations ARE truly equal, then it is no other nation's business what kind of weapons North Korea has.

After all, everyone knows that Israel has nuclear weapons; yet, no one (least of all the U.S.) is demanding that it give up its weapons.

I know that it is counterintuitive, but maybe there's a better chance of world peace if there were MORE nations with nuclear weapons.

MAD works when the players have a lot to lose. It doesn't when a nutter is at the wheel and cares more about staying true to an idea than survival. I don't think we'll have that kind of leader in a country with nuclear weapons, but you never know.

That's the more telling aspect; they're playing games to buy time. If Jong-un were serious about denuclearization, he would have worked out a plan with his military and already be negotiating terms with South Korea and the US. Saying so publicly would have earned him credibility and shown sincerity. None of this happened, so all we have are lofty promises with no means of vetting. When Jong-un made the comment about the US scaling down their nuclear weapons I had a feeling these negotiations are a cat and mouse game. Anyone serious about their intentions would be negotiating terms and not wasting time.

Doubly so when unlike their people, the regime has internet access. They know Trump has been going on about scaling up our nukes.

They've just given enough to appeal to his vanity, knowing he would declare victory and the usual suspects would lap it. No doubt they've been boring and hiding launch tunnels in various mountains, perhaps building some new labs in case we knew about older ones, etc.

And, of course, that narrative will be based on next to no evidence other than the words of Mr. Trump.

You know, there just MIGHT be some substance to his position that Mr. Trump has done more to bring about a reconciliation between the ROK and the DPRK than any other President.

I base that tentative conclusion on the fact that Mr. Trump has likely done more to tick off the ROK and to show the ROK that the US doesn't really care about what happens in Korea than any other President has.

Unfortunately I don't think that that was quite what "Piner" had in mind when he wrote what he did.

Back
Top Bottom