• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

North Korea attacks South Korea to show "whose boss?"

TheHippie

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
-This is my own opinion-
I remember the Korean War. I remember the embarrased North Korea. But that was then. There has been a lot of tensions about North Korea with nuclear devises. I'm thinking that they are showing off some of their power with this. And to attack South Korea? Maybe to show they are not afraid to attack someone. You're thoughts?:peace

Last edited:
whos-the-boss1.jpg

Couldn't help myself.

HAHAHAH. Exactly. Even though they know that they couldn't hold there own against the US of A, they're still pulling this arrogant move on S.K.

HAHAHAH. Exactly. Even though they know that they couldn't hold there own against the US of A, they're still pulling this arrogant move on S.K.

First, remember Little Son Fool Do is a certifiable nut case. Any thing he does should be no surprise.

I also remember the Korea War. I was a tad young for it, as I graduated high school in '53, but I went there in late '58, compliments of Uncle Sugar. My first reaction, upon walking out into the compound in ASCOM City my first night there, was we lost 100000 casualties for this stinkhole? For what. The money being poured into the country by the US seemed to all wind up in the coffers of the government, and Sygman Rhee. The economy was based on two things; the Business Girls and the Black Market.

I was stationed just outside of Seoul, so that wasn't too bad, but up on the line was The Seventh Infantry Div on one end, The First Cav Div on the other, and the ROKS in between. Back about 50 miles, was I Corp, in case the ROKS happened to break and run again. There were a few nice things to see, but almost everything was off limits. The country stank beyond stink. ( when it's warm, the rest of the time, everything freezes )

Fast forward to now. There are approximately 27000 American Troops in S Korea. Little Son Fool Do has over a million man army. ( last figures I heard ) If our 27000 men are the only deterrent to the NKs coming south, there won't be much to stop a million man army.

In my estimation, China is the Dragon holding the NKs in check. I can not fanthom China letting Little Son Fool Do mess up their rice bowl. Maybe in a few more years, yeah, but not while the Lovable Han are getting their ducks lined up to become the world power. Do not be surprised to see the Chinese take Taiwan and turn the NKs loose on SK at about the same time. Who do we take on first? Why would we take on the defense of any?

The Korean War was a civil war, as was the Vietnam War. Our business was what?

Fast forward to now. There are approximately 27000 American Troops in S Korea. Little Son Fool Do has over a million man army. ( last figures I heard ) If our 27000 men are the only deterrent to the NKs coming south, there won't be much to stop a million man army.

Under no stretch of the imagination would the 27,000 U.S. personnel be capable of helping defend South Korea. They are there as a "tripwire" of sorts to guarantee U.S. military intervention were North Korea to launch an invasion of South Korea. If North Korea believes U.S. military intervention would be guaranteed were it to attempt to invade South Korea and that the U.S. possesses the power to thwart the invasion (even as military resources would need to be deployed to the region to deal with such an invasion), North Korea might be deterred from attempting such a move down the road, even as it possesses a small nuclear arsenal.

No doubt China was well aware of this, so what's the angle?

Under no stretch of the imagination would the 27,000 U.S. personnel be capable of helping defend South Korea. They are there as a "tripwire" of sorts to guarantee U.S. military intervention were North Korea to launch an invasion of South Korea. If North Korea believes U.S. military intervention would be guaranteed were it to attempt to invade South Korea and that the U.S. possesses the power to thwart the invasion (even as military resources would need to be deployed to the region to deal with such an invasion), North Korea might be deterred from attempting such a move down the road, even as it possesses a small nuclear arsenal.

Personally, having spent 13 months, 9 days, 14 hours, 33 minutes, and 17 seconds in that stinkhole ( I really wasn't counting, mind you ) I can attest there is little there worth one American life, let alone the casualties we had under Mr Truman's War. We fought basically to a stalemate, maimed and killed a lot of Americans, and wound up basically in the same place we started. Along came Mr Kennedy and Mr Johnson and got us into another civil war that cost us a heap of money, materials, and a lot more casualties, and no thanks to the governing powers, came home with our tails between our legs. ( certainly not the fault of the men and women that went there ) Now we're doing business with the NV. Go figure.

In the vision, it was to stop the spread of communism. In the government, it was for resources, and a way not to get into a huge war with Russia in some sorts.

Also, some more information:
The Russians and the Chinese would never support NK in a war. They risk too much economically, politcally, diplomatically, etc...
SK would win a war with NK. The NK's nukes will never work as there's interception missiles in SK to stop the nukes. However, SK will suffer huge damages as Seoul, our capital is in range of NK artillery (I, too is in Seoul)
The NK military has mostly outdated weaponry. They use weapons dating as well as back to WWII. Our nw K-2 tanks, K-9 howitzers, etc.... are more than a match for them.
However, the biggest threat is from assysmetric warfare
NK Special Forces number more than 100000 (the biggest in the world), and their submarine fleet is considerable.

Yet, SK will win a war with NK

As the Pacific War was coming to a close, the Russian army was taking land in East Asia- as you may know, there are islands north of Japan that are still Russian territory taken during that period that Japan contends are theirs. In the Korean Peninsula, the Riussians took North Korea to the 38th Parallel, and the US forces took the southern portion. At the Potsdam conference it was decided that Korea would be divided in two, inevitably with a US backed government in the south and a Russian backed government in the North.

The US had a bit of a hand in creating the problem Korea continues to have.

Also, some more information:
The Russians and the Chinese would never support NK in a war. They risk too much economically, politcally, diplomatically, etc...
SK would win a war with NK. The NK's nukes will never work as there's interception missiles in SK to stop the nukes. However, SK will suffer huge damages as Seoul, our capital is in range of NK artillery (I, too is in Seoul)
The NK military has mostly outdated weaponry. They use weapons dating as well as back to WWII. Our nw K-2 tanks, K-9 howitzers, etc.... are more than a match for them.
However, the biggest threat is from assysmetric warfare
NK Special Forces number more than 100000 (the biggest in the world), and their submarine fleet is considerable.

Yet, SK will win a war with NK

I don't even know where to start taking out quotes from you, I'll just leave it all in. When you said special forces, you have to be joking right? They are nothing with the weapons you described. They shouldn't be considered special forces when they are using springfield rifles, and muskets. And some reasons why SK will win: USA protection and the UN. The Russians you say would not help NK, but China in many senses might. NK nukes won't reach us, but they will reach SK.....

U.S. aircraft carrier heads for Korean waters | Reuters
November 24th, 2010
A US aircraft carrier is heading towards the Korean peninsula on Wednesday, a day after North Korea launched dozens of artillery shells on a South Korean island. The nuclear-powered USS George Washington, which carries 75 warplanes and has a crew of over 6,000, left a naval base south of Tokyo on Wednesday morning and would join exercises with South Korea from Sunday to the following Wednesday, US officials in Seoul said. "This exercise is defensive in nature," US Forces Korea said in a statement.
--snipped--

huh. know what this means? Time to que Imperial March theme music :D http://dmeb.net/dveb/sounds/march.mp3

342844.jpg

No doubt China was well aware of this, so what's the angle?

According to the eggsperts Beijing's approach is guided by a desire to prop up the regime of Kim Jong-Il out of fear that its collapse could spark a flood of refugees into China, and China uses NorthKorea to check US influence in the region, and fears that an eventual unified Korean peninsula would be dominated by South Korea's US-allied government.

imo China's refusal to stabilize the basket case that is North Korea is what makes the Chinese govt an irresponsible major power. The chicoms haven't done a thing that actually helps lift up the north korean people, instead Beijing continues to prop up the ruling regime which is selfish, useless and counterproductive for that region.

So anyway since the chinese govt refuses to put a leash on the crazy midgets running their vassal state, then it's time to play hardball..

_50107968_002043807-1.jpg

India to deploy 36,000 extra troops on Chinese border
23 November 2010, By Subir Bhaumik. BBC News, Calcutta

India has formed two new army divisions - comprising more than 36,000 men - to defend the north-eastern state of Arunachal Pradesh. The remote north-eastern state adjoins China which claims large parts of it. The 56th Division will be based in the nearby state of Nagaland to guard the eastern flank of Arunachal Pradesh from Chinese attack through Burma. The other new formation, the 71st Division, will be based in Assam to protect central Arunachal Pradesh. There has been no response so far from China to the decision.

The formation of the two new divisions means that India's deployments in the eastern sector of its border with China now matches the five army divisions that existed in 1986-87, when the two countries nearly went to war.

sources BBC News - India to deploy 36,000 extra troops on Chinese border
China media takes pro-Pyongyang tone in shelling incident

Last edited:
Last edited:
I clicked on link and then read you're thing. I Literally laughed so hard I had stiches in my side.
but nuclear powered? meaning what?

It means it's time to use The Force! errr, God is on our side.
and we could use His help since it's hightime to put the screws on China because China is the one that can bring North Korea to heel peacefully.

Vatican threatens new China bishop with excommunication
24 November 2010

The Vatican has threatened a bishop with excommunication after he was ordained by China's state-backed Catholic Church without papal approval. Pope Benedict XVI had learned of the ordination of Rev Joseph Guo Jincai "with deep regret" as it constituted a "grave violation" of Church law, it said. The Vatican also accused Beijing of "grave violations of freedom of religion and conscience" because it forced Vatican-approved bishops to attend the ceremony.

but nuclear powered? meaning what?

The USN's current fleet of supercarriers are all nuclear powered ie doesn't run on diesel-fueled engines.
The last of the conventional powered supercarriers was decommissioned a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom