• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

North Dakota to Pay Abortion Clinic $245K [W:36]

Scrabaholic

certified batshit crazy
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
North Dakota has agreed to pay $245,000 to lawyers representing the state's lone abortion clinic over an ill-fated law that attempted to ban abortions when a fetal heartbeat is detected.

The state and the New York-based Center for Reproductive Rights signed the agreement on Tuesday and the center sent a copy to The Associated Press. It must still be approved by a federal judge.

Lawyers for the Red River Women's Clinic in Fargo sought litigation costs from the state after the U.S. Supreme Court in January rejected the state's appeal of a lower court ruling that the 2013 fetal heartbeat law was unconstitutional. The law never took effect but would have banned abortions as early as six weeks of pregnancy and before some women know they are pregnant. Abortion-rights supporters said it was the strictest anti-abortion measure in the country.

APNewsBreak: North Dakota to Pay Abortion Clinic $245K - ABC News

-------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if this will teach the state of North Dakota to leave abortion alone? If I were a taxpayer there, I'd be furious at them wasting my money making unconstitutional laws.

North Dakota has agreed to pay $245,000 to lawyers representing the state's lone abortion clinic over an ill-fated law that attempted to ban abortions when a fetal heartbeat is detected.

The state and the New York-based Center for Reproductive Rights signed the agreement on Tuesday and the center sent a copy to The Associated Press. It must still be approved by a federal judge.

Lawyers for the Red River Women's Clinic in Fargo sought litigation costs from the state after the U.S. Supreme Court in January rejected the state's appeal of a lower court ruling that the 2013 fetal heartbeat law was unconstitutional. The law never took effect but would have banned abortions as early as six weeks of pregnancy and before some women know they are pregnant. Abortion-rights supporters said it was the strictest anti-abortion measure in the country.

APNewsBreak: North Dakota to Pay Abortion Clinic $245K - ABC News

-------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if this will teach the state of North Dakota to leave abortion alone? If I were a taxpayer there, I'd be furious at them wasting my money making unconstitutional laws.

They should simply enforce the law anyway and refuse to pay. Unfortunately, North Dakota (like every other state in the country) is run by pusillanimous cowards.

They should simply enforce the law anyway and refuse to pay. Unfortunately, North Dakota (like every other state in the country) is run by pusillanimous cowards.

Translation- they have to drop an UNCONSTITUTIONAL law, obey the courts, remember we are rule of law, not rule of religious extremists... :peace

I disagree but I think this attitude is at least consistent. I'm astonished at how easily people who purport to believe that a murder is being committed are content to merely protest or roll over for some court opinion. Would these people have obeyed court orders from Roland Freisler just because it was 'the law'?

Well at least they do not have primitive mentalities that would take them back to the middle ages like you would like to.

They should absolutely refuse to pay those evil pieces of ****.

You mean the illegal law? You do know how this "law thing" works? Right? Or is that too open to "opinion" and religious extremism?

North Dakota was filled with a bunch of religious busy buddies who illegally interfered with a woman's right to choose and now they have to pay for their crimes against the constitution.

You mean the illegal law? You do know how this "law thing" works? Right? Or is that too open to "opinion" and religious extremism?

North Dakota was filled with a bunch of religious busy buddies who illegally interfered with a woman's right to choose and now they have to pay for their crimes against the constitution.

This thread isn't about your hatred of religion.

This thread isn't about your hatred of religion.

Great, there comes up the made up untruth you have fantasized up lately :lamo

No this is about extreme religious intolerance of a woman's right to choose and your denial of the way the law works and that North Dakota has to comply with the law even when anti-abortion extremists think they are above the law/constitutional/court system.

Great, there comes up the made up untruth you have fantasized up lately :lamo

No this is about extreme religious intolerance of a woman's right to choose and your denial of the way the law works and that North Dakota has to comply with the law even when anti-abortion extremists think they are above the law/constitutional/court system.
This thread isn't about your obsession, sorry. I'm not going to help you derail it.

This thread isn't about your obsession, sorry. I'm not going to help you derail it.

But I did not derail it, that was done by you IMHO, I posted abut the subject you posted/attacked me.

The subject was the denial of women's rights by a vocal very religious minority who think they can ignore women's constitutional rights.

But I did not derail it, that was done by you IMHO, I posted abut the subject you posted/attacked me.

The subject was the denial of women's rights by a vocal very religious minority who think they can ignore women's constitutional rights.

I'm sorry, but religion simply isn't the topic here. If you want to complain about how awful religion is, make a thread in philosophy or religion/politics.

I'm sorry, but religion simply isn't the topic here. If you want to complain about how awful religion is, make a thread in philosophy or religion/politics.

Of course it is....are you saying that the most vocal pro-lifers who influence our politicians do not announce any sort of religious agenda?

Of course it is....are you saying that the most vocal pro-lifers who influence our politicians do not announce any sort of religious agenda?

I am saying that religion is not the topic of the thread. Most vocal pro-lifers have the ability to speak (and without this they probably would not be vocal pro-lifers), but the process of vocalization isn't the topic either.

I notice "very conservative" really means anarchist.

I notice "very conservative" really means anarchist.

It takes quite an ideologue to interpret "enforce the law" as meaning "abolish the state".

I'm not sure I agree with that action in this case, but I do believe states need to tell the federal government where to shove it more often.

It takes quite an ideologue to interpret "enforce the law" as meaning "abolish the state".

"abolish the country" you mean.

"abolish the country" you mean.

I honestly don't care what the definition of anarchism is, the point was that your "reasoning" was an asinine non-sequitur.

I am saying that religion is not the topic of the thread. Most vocal pro-lifers have the ability to speak (and without this they probably would not be vocal pro-lifers), but the process of vocalization isn't the topic either.

Pro-lifers by virtue of their political agenda have made it so.

I honestly don't care what the definition of anarchism is, the point was that your "reasoning" was an asinine non-sequitur.

You seem to not care about the definition of anything unless it agrees with your nutty ideas.

Why do most pro-lifers want to ban abortion? Out of religious reasons that is why so stop pretending that religious views have nothing to do with abortion.

Why do most pro-lifers want to ban abortion? Out of religious reasons that is why so stop pretending that religious views have nothing to do with abortion.

Ad hominem.

The given argument against abortion does not depend on religious grounds. So speculation about motives is fallacious.

Back
Top Bottom