• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

North Carolina??? What?

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
So I have a valid Florida CCW license. It is legal to carry it in North Carolina with it. So I have been checking some of the laws.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

A handgun license to purchase handguns? No carrying into a place that charges admission fees? Where and when did this crap pass? What is the logic behind them? I thought North Carolina was a Red state and in the South? What gives? Any Tarheels here that can explain?

I especially like the provision that states that you must disarm yourself should a riot break out. That one is, by far, the most insane provision that I have ever seen in a gun law (so far). :roll:

I especially like the provision that states that you must disarm yourself should a riot break out. That one is, by far, the most insane provision that I have ever seen in a gun law (so far). :roll:

the funny thing it is a bill writtien by a conservative state legeslature. wonder what got into them to write such a bill.

the funny thing it is a bill writtien by a conservative state legeslature. wonder what got into them to write such a bill.

Alcohol, lack of sleep and a desire to make the state safe for those with armed security provided to them at taxpayer expense. It surely had nothing to do with "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed". ;)

Since it appears as if the riot not on your property law went into effect in 1969, I would assume that it was related to desegregation concerns. Since the ticketed events statute appears to started in the 70's and has been amended over time, I assume it means they don't want you carrying guns into nightclubs. I have heard things sometimes get a little crazy violent at events in Charlotte and Greensboro.

I guess they don't have a castle doctrine law.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1062010251 said:
I guess they don't have a castle doctrine law.

Actually we do.

And it was updated in Dec of 2011 to include covering your Workplace and Vehicle when occupied by you.

Actually we do.

And it was updated in Dec of 2011 to include covering your Workplace and Vehicle when occupied by you.

They used to have some whacky laws about hunting crossbows too

So I have a valid Florida CCW license. It is legal to carry it in North Carolina with it. So I have been checking some of the laws.

A handgun license to purchase handguns? No carrying into a place that charges admission fees? Where and when did this crap pass? What is the logic behind them? I thought North Carolina was a Red state and in the South? What gives? Any Tarheels here that can explain?

There's a reason why we call NC the "Law and Order" state.... though there's not a lot of sense and reason in their laws.

If you think THAT's odd for a Southern state, you should see their laws on defending your home.... complex and weird....

There's a reason why we call NC the "Law and Order" state.... though there's not a lot of sense and reason in their laws.

If you think THAT's odd for a Southern state, you should see their laws on defending your home.... complex and weird....

As a former LEO in NC for 6.5 years, I can assure you there is a lot of sense and reason in our laws.

As a former LEO in NC for 6.5 years, I can assure you there is a lot of sense and reason in our laws.

I'm going to assume that is irony. :)

laws that make sense to cops are often contrary to the good of the rest of the citizenry

for years I knew cops who were vehemently opposed to CCW licenses They liked the Ohio law that basically gave them complete discretion. I'd get "we don't mind you carrying a gun counselor-you aren't a scumbag but we don't want scumbags getting CCWs

I asked them how many scumbags could pass a background check and would sit through the training and pony up 100=150 dollars for the course

yeah I didn't get much in the way of answers

laws that make sense to cops are often contrary to the good of the rest of the citizenry

for years I knew cops who were vehemently opposed to CCW licenses They liked the Ohio law that basically gave them complete discretion. I'd get "we don't mind you carrying a gun counselor-you aren't a scumbag but we don't want scumbags getting CCWs

I asked them how many scumbags could pass a background check and would sit through the training and pony up 100=150 dollars for the course

yeah I didn't get much in the way of answers

I have no problem with people carrying weapons, and had no problem as an LEO. I used to get pissed at the level of OMFGGUNDANGERDANGERZZ!!!11!!!! that other officers got about a dude with a gun when on a regular ass speedin' stop when a polite gentleman informed him he was carrying and produced his CCW permit along with his license and reg.

There are other laws and procedures I'd much rather most other states have...... like requiring victims of misdemeanors where they are the only witness go down and speak with the magistrate themselves rather than just having the police go up and nab someone for something this other guy said.

However, our laws on what constitutes a "resident" of a home for the purposes of requiring an eviction could really use some more work. The way it stands now, I'd rather leave my sister homeless than to let her stay with me to help her temporarily.

What? What sense does it make for me to not be able to carry into a place that charges admission? Or at a parade?

Not during a state of emergency or riot? I tell you what. How is that logical? Disarming the populace when they are literally going to have no protection from the law anyway? I live in a state that deals with hurricanes a lot. You can sell that crap somewhere else. I know damn well "protect and serve" really means, "protect and serve when it is convenient, close by, or when we aren't busy."

Dont get me wrong. I understand. The job of a law enforcement officer sucks. I also respect the job. I have friends and a relative who is a cop. I don't have ill will. I simply am not naive enough to believe that cops will actually be to protect me during a crisis. So don't fault me for not listening to law enforcement on how I am better off disarmed.

no, you dont have to have a handgun license to buy a gun......you do have to have a purchase permit which you get through the sheriffs dept.,(it nothing more than background check to make sure you are legal to buy a gun....there is a short wait for it, few days) BUT if you have a CCW you can skip the permit, your CCW is your permit.............now as far as the no carry in places that charge admission, the only reason i can think of is that they want those venues to provide their own security...which i dont like.....other than that NC isnt as bad as some states...we are OPEN carry without any kind of paper work what so ever....you can put one on your hip in plain view and walk into any store you want.....im seeing it more and more these days too.

Back
Top Bottom