• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

North Carolina governor vetoes photo ID bill

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...a-governor-vetoes-photo-id-bill-idUSKBN1OD2M9

(Reuters) - North Carolina Democratic Governor Roy Cooper on Friday vetoed a Republican-authored bill requiring voters to present photo identification, saying it would disenfranchise poor, minority and elderly voters.

Republicans have a large enough majority in the state legislature to override Cooper’s veto until January, when several Democrats who won seats in November will take office.
============================================
Photo ID poll requirements is just one of the ways the Repubs have been trying to suppress the Dem vote in their states. Let's hope this veto stands.

I am still struggling with the idea that IDs to vote is suppression but needing an ID for just about everything else is not an issue.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...a-governor-vetoes-photo-id-bill-idUSKBN1OD2M9

(Reuters) - North Carolina Democratic Governor Roy Cooper on Friday vetoed a Republican-authored bill requiring voters to present photo identification, saying it would disenfranchise poor, minority and elderly voters.

Republicans have a large enough majority in the state legislature to override Cooper’s veto until January, when several Democrats who won seats in November will take office.
Photo ID poll requirements is just one of the ways the Repubs have been trying to suppress the Dem vote in their states. Let's hope this veto stands.

Funny how nobody says "this disenfranchises the poor, minorities and elderly" when it comes to an ID to buy smokes, buy liquor, to drive a car etc....but when it comes to an ID to vote, THEN they say it.

I am still struggling with the idea that IDs to vote is suppression but needing an ID for just about everything else is not an issue.

When I moved to PA 4 years ago I forget what ID I had to present when I registered to vote but I did. I vote in every election & no ID is required. You just sign next to your name in the registration book. When I took out a P.O. box I had to present ID - just once.

Everything else doesn't do everything in their power to make it harder to get that ID. Or vote early, on Sunday, etc.

A voter ID law that doesn't include an ID "drive" to make sure that everybody who needs one has one is an attempt to suppress the vote.

He may lose re-election over this one.

In the most recent election, there was a Constitutional Amendment on the ballot:

North Carolina Voter ID Amendment

Vote Results
Yes - 2,049,121 - 55.49%
No - 1,643,983 - 44.51%

Voter ID is a bi-partisan issue in NC. There are 2,696,715 Democrats and 2,124,202 Republicans and 2,268,286 Unaffiliated voters in the entire state. In the most recent mid-term elections only 52% of registered voters cast a vote and turnout was higher in Democratic counties than in Republican counties, so there were a hell of a lot of Unaffiliated and Democratic voters that voted in favor of voter ID in that election.

As long as the ID's are free, have reasonable requirements to prove citizenship that do not disenfranchise anyone, then there should be no problem. If there's a problem, which will surely happen, then there should be a reasonable way to help those that have a problem.

I support voter ID.

Back
Top Bottom