• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Non-political thoughts on Orlando shootings

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I read something very sobering on Facebook yesterday. It was a repost of somebody's tweet. It talked about how, after everything was done and the police and others went in, the most unnerving aspect for them to deal with was all the cell phones ringing... the victim's loved ones were desperately trying to contact them and find out if they were ok.

Different things affect people differently, but as long as you have sympathy and empathy there really isn't a wrong way to react. Your reactions are natural, they are what they are. This particular thought stopped me in my tracks. I can't explain why this and not as much the tragedy to begin with. Maybe because it showed me how deep these tragedies go. It drove home the point that the victims are not only the ones killed, but it reaches far deeper. This is the aspect that I cannot stop thinking about. Both the direct victims and the indirect victims.

I am going to respectfully request that everybody leave politics out of this thread. There are plenty of other threads for that, and they are active. Please reserve your political comments for those threads.

Thank you for reading.

I read something very sobering on Facebook yesterday. It was a repost of somebody's tweet. It talked about how, after everything was done and the police and others went in, the most unnerving aspect for them to deal with was all the cell phones ringing... the victim's loved ones were desperately trying to contact them and find out if they were ok.

Different things affect people differently, but as long as you have sympathy and empathy there really isn't a wrong way to react. Your reactions are natural, they are what they are. This particular thought stopped me in my tracks. I can't explain why this and not as much the tragedy to begin with. Maybe because it showed me how deep these tragedies go. It drove home the point that the victims are not only the ones killed, but it reaches far deeper. This is the aspect that I cannot stop thinking about. Both the direct victims and the indirect victims.

I am going to respectfully request that everybody leave politics out of this thread. There are plenty of other threads for that, and they are active. Please reserve your political comments for those threads.

Thank you for reading.

I can't understand the need to kill innocent human beings . The ripple effect extends to thousands of family , friends , co-workers and neighbors . It is becoming more and more unsafe to gather in groups or attend large functions . RIP

Thank you for reading.

Politics, at least for me, takes a backseat when we look at the tragedy on a purely human level. After all, we are talking about several hundred people who were just out for a good time: dancing and being merry. None of them was out to hurt anyone or push a political agenda. They were just out celebrating life.

And, therein lies the real tragedy. That something so innocent--a night of dancing and being with friends, maybe some sex after--should end in such a horrifying manner because some idiot takes it upon himself to push HIS political agenda by mowing down innocent people.

Thank you for reading.

It's hard to leave politics out of this or at least mistake what someone says as being political.
With that said, honestly, I shrugged.
Not because I don't care for people, but because these incidents are blasted throughout media and social circles that I've become numb to it.

If anything, it's a reminder that the world is real, a crack in the usual illusion of safety, that comes with living in a developed nation.

It's hard to leave politics out of this or at least mistake what someone says as being political.
With that said, honestly, I shrugged.
Not because I don't care for people, but because these incidents are blasted throughout media and social circles that I've become numb to it.

If anything, it's a reminder that the world is real, a crack in the usual illusion of safety, that comes with living in a developed nation.

I don't know. This one hit me harder than most of the other mass shootings--I mean, other than the one where the nut shot to death 30 6 year-old kids; that one still takes the cake for most horrific shooting ever. The shooting of the other night strikes home because it clearly shows how we here in the West, with our "live and let live" attitudes, are so very different than those who hold these archaic beliefs which demand everyone conform to some ideal scribbled in a book well over a 1000 years ago.

Think what you will about gay people, what they do and how maybe you would not want your sons and daughters to do it. Think what you will about two men kissing. Hell, think what you will about men having anal sex and/or dressing as women. None of that matters when it comes to the obvious--those people do not deserve to die. It could be argued that those who wish them harm deserve to though.

I was so torn up yesterday. I was irritable, tired, moody, and just could not focus on work. I have never had one of these types of tragedies affect me in this way. It was my first wedding anniversary yesterday. I could only think about how stupid it was that I was upset when ultimately my family and friends were okay and there were so many suffering in Orlando. It struck me how incredibly selfish of a person I am. I couldn't even bear to think about what those people were going through and tried to distract myself all day by picking petty political fights on Facebook. I can't even get my head around how somebody could do something so evil. I don't even believe in "evil" and it is the only word I can think of that appropriately describes it.

I don't know. This one hit me harder than most of the other mass shootings--I mean, other than the one where the nut shot to death 30 6 year-old kids; that one still takes the cake for most horrific shooting ever. The shooting of the other night strikes home because it clearly shows how we here in the West, with our "live and let live" attitudes, are so very different than those who hold these archaic beliefs which demand everyone conform to some ideal scribbled in a book well over a 1000 years ago.

Think what you will about gay people, what they do and how maybe you would not want your sons and daughters to do it. Think what you will about two men kissing. Hell, think what you will about men having anal sex and/or dressing as women. None of that matters when it comes to the obvious--those people do not deserve to die. It could be argued that those who wish them harm deserve to though.

True enough but at the end of the day, someone will use this to forward their "cause celebre."
I just end up tuning out, as soon as I hear about it.

Thank you for reading.

Those phones wringing are a symbol of all the lives yet to be effected by this tragedy, in ways the callers have yet to realize. For the emergency responders, its a vivid reminder of the human toll. As the responders are trying to go about their duties in as much of an antiseptic way as possible, being professional and focusing on the job, not the human beings around their feet, just so they can maintain a level of sanity and emotional calm, those phones are wringing and breaking through the wall the responders put up in their brains. I've seen it first hand, but of course, nothing on this scale. I was at an airline crash site where the exact thing happened. Crash victim's cell phones that had survived the crash, wringing and wringing and wringing.

Those that are working that scene right now are suffering in ways we can not understand. They will continue to suffer for the rest of their lives as well. Just as the families of the victims are victims themselves, so are the responders for different reasons but victims nonetheless. Those family and friends that are calling those phones are suffering in ways we cannot understand, and will for the rest of their lives as well.

Thank you for sharing, and starting this thread. We as a people need to see the larger picture of the actual suffering caused by this tragedy, if we are ever to truly understand the scale of the harm done.

Back
Top Bottom