• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Non-motorized lawnmowers, scythes, and other holistic ways to get a work out

MyOwnDrum

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I'm buff, and I don't have a personal trainer, I don't belong to a gym. I'm a big believer in getting exercise while you work.

Today I had off, so I mowed the lawn with my push lawnmower. I really recommend these. And, instead of a weed wacker I use a scythe. These things are environmentally friendly, and you get more exercise while using them.

I have this mower:
169466_front200.jpg

And I have two scythes. One is a smaller one for more delicate areas that I got at an antique shop and sharpened. The other is an Austrian, hand hammered blade and design that I got on Lemans, which specializes in non-high tech implements.

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/169466_front200.jpg

12210200.jpg

I have to say that girl looks like an idiot in a skirt with no shoes and a scythe. WTH is she thinking? And please don't have long pig tails bouncing back and forth when you're swinging a scythe!

I do wish people would use those push mowers more often. The noise pollution alone from the constant mowing around me makes me want to wack something not green with a scythe.

I have to say that girl looks like an idiot in a skirt with no shoes and a scythe. WTH is she thinking? And please don't have long pig tails bouncing back and forth when you're swinging a scythe!

I do wish people would use those push mowers more often. The noise pollution alone from the constant mowing around me makes me want to wack something not green with a scythe.
Scythes | European Ash Snath (Handle) - Lehmans.com

A note about our photos: Experienced scythers often work barefoot because they say it's therapeutic. Accidents to the user are almost non-existent because when the scythe is properly maneuvered, the blade does not even approach the user's feet. Bystanders run the greatest risk of injury and should always remain at a safe distance, preferably several feet behind the user.

I think this is a good idea. You can get exercise from certain chores. For years we used a self-propelled mower although I find them to bulky and heavy for manuverability which is important for my lawn. So last time, we bought a mower without self propelled. I started mowing with it and wore my heart monitor. I found that the effort did push my heart rate up close to a level 3 (70 to 80% of max), although not quite up to that. Of course its hard to measure since every individual sport can produce different max rates.

A totally manual mower would have to produce an higher level of effort. Not sure I'd want to do it. I hate to mow.

I have a reel mower. You have to push and pull those things back and forth to get them to cut everything and its a lot more time consuming than just pushing a motorized mower. They are supposed to be better for the grass since it cuts the grass like a pair of scissors instead of just hacking it like a motorized lawn mower blade does. If you do not mind spending a few hours doing something would usually take 30 minutes with a motorized mower depending on the size of your yard then it is good exercise machine.

I propose loggers go back to axes and saws. Let's see how well that goes over. JamesRage said it. Time. We're all slaves to the clock. Even our workouts are governed by time. I try to get in a workout in an hour. maybe when I retire, I will have more time to work out.

Good point....and it brings to mind the many times I see my wife drive around the parking lot looking for a closer parking space, not wanting to walk too far. But at home, she walks for a half hour or more at a good clip on her treadmill.

I push mow my lawn every week - 1.25 acres takes me 5 consecutive hours, I break it down into 2 days . . . weed eating takes 2 hours (we have A LOT of privacy fence and trees) and that's without a scythe. Hedge trimming and basic care - 2 hours.

If I had a job this just wouldn't be possible. but it's an excellent workout routine to have during the summter days.

Last edited:
I'm buff, and I don't have a personal trainer, I don't belong to a gym. I'm a big believer in getting exercise while you work.

Today I had off, so I mowed the lawn with my push lawnmower. I really recommend these. And, instead of a weed wacker I use a scythe. These things are environmentally friendly, and you get more exercise while using them.

I have this mower:
169466_front200.jpg

And I have two scythes. One is a smaller one for more delicate areas that I got at an antique shop and sharpened. The other is an Austrian, hand hammered blade and design that I got on Lemans, which specializes in non-high tech implements.

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/169466_front200.jpg

12210200.jpg

Great Idea, I will inform my landscaper to get himself one of these. :thumbs:

Great Idea, I will inform my landscaper to get himself one of these. :thumbs:

Then you won't mind when your landscaper charges you more since it will be taking longer for him to perform his services and the fact that he will now be late performing work for his other customers.

Then you won't mind when your landscaper charges you more since it will be taking longer for him to perform his services and the fact that he will now be late performing work for his other customers.

It's ok, the Good Reverend can afford it. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom