• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Non consentual sex is not rape

Is non concentual sex always rape

• Yes, non concensual sex is always rape

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • No, non concensual sex is not always rape

Votes: 12 20.3%

• Total voters

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
So according to Yale university non consensual sex is not always rape. I guess I'm old fashioned but I kinda thought non consensual sex was the definition of rape.

Yale University has found six students guilty of 'non-consensual sex' in the past six months and not one of them has been expelled from the prestigious Ivy League college, according to an official report.
Four of the perpetrators were given written reprimands after the victims reported the sexual assaults to staff, one student received probation and another was suspended for two semesters but will be free to return next year to graduate - with an Ivy League diploma.

Yale, which is based in New Haven, Connecticut, said it responded to a total of eight reports of sexual assault in the first half of 2013. The other two students were found not guilty of rape allegations, the school said.

Read more: Yale's sexual misconduct report does not mention rape instead referring to it as 'non-consensual sex' - a crime they punish with just a written reprimand | Mail Online

They're all a bunch of sneaky, dirty lawyer people. So of course they'll weasel themselves into one definion or another.

Word games.

Sex misconduct report spurs criticism of disciplinary procedures | Yale Daily News
...University Title IX Coordinator and Deputy Provost Stephanie Spangler...
it employs the term “non-consensual sex” rather than “rape” or more explicit language to allow the University to impose sanctions for behaviors that may not meet a criminal standard.
So if they call it rape then they're using a legal term and then have a higher burden of proof to meet.
And, likely, unless the perpetrators are convicted, they run into the possibility of defamation lawsuits.

So according to Yale university non consensual sex is not always rape. I guess I'm old fashioned but I kinda thought non consensual sex was the definition of rape.

Yale University has found six students guilty of 'non-consensual sex' in the past six months and not one of them has been expelled from the prestigious Ivy League college, according to an official report.
Four of the perpetrators were given written reprimands after the victims reported the sexual assaults to staff, one student received probation and another was suspended for two semesters but will be free to return next year to graduate - with an Ivy League diploma.

Yale, which is based in New Haven, Connecticut, said it responded to a total of eight reports of sexual assault in the first half of 2013. The other two students were found not guilty of rape allegations, the school said.

Read more: Yale's sexual misconduct report does not mention rape instead referring to it as 'non-consensual sex' - a crime they punish with just a written reprimand | Mail Online

DO you have a actual source is this tabloid site the only source?

EDIT: http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2013/...s-criticism-of-yales-disciplinary-procedures/

Simon W. Moon posted one while I was reading. lol

Last edited:
Sex misconduct report spurs criticism of disciplinary procedures | Yale Daily News
it employs the term “non-consensual sex” rather than “rape” or more explicit language to allow the University to impose sanctions for behaviors that may not meet a criminal standard.
So if they call it rape then they're using a legal term and then have a higher burden of proof to meet.
And, likely, unless the perpetrators are convicted, they run into the possibility of defamation lawsuits.

CRAP! 61 complaints from Jan-June?! That's really bad! Oh and I guess they are called ''complaints'' now and not allegations or accusations.

I think the word games at Yale are designed to get rich kids with parents that contribute to Yale off the hook but it's just a theory.

Based on the article you posted it would seem that many of the "complaintants" are female Yale students.

I guess female students' parents don't contribute to the university?

The only thing that makes any sense is maybe the university to trying to cleverly avoid building a negative statistical paper-trail by leaving out "the r word." What I also don't get was why the slap on the wrist punishments. I thought rapists were supposed to go to prison for years.

Peart admits the descriptions of cases in the report 'do not fully capture the diversity and complexity of the circumstances associated with the complaints or the factors that determined the outcomes and sanctions' due to confidentiality.

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Maybe it wasn't what we think of when we think rape. For example, I have a friend who was charged with "indecent assault" under the UCMJ. Sounds like it might be rape but it might have been slapping someone on the butt. ???

Goggle it yourself, there are numerous sites about this if you really care.

I edited my post if you didnt notice. But none the less it would have been better to use a better site. (Like the one quoted above)

I'm really old fashioned and grew up with rape being when you forcibly have sex with someone against their stated will.

I'm honestly not even sure why younger generations bother with sex these days.

Jerking off is almost as good without having to worry that someone will have buyers remorse in the morning and it will become rape.

If a girl that would never say "yes" to sex with some random dude gets pretty damn drunk, like to the point where she doesn't remember a few hours from the previous night, and says "yes" to sex during that drunken night, then wakes up the next morning with a naked guy she doesn't know from Adam, was she raped?

Suppose there's nobody around to confirm or deny that she said "yes" to sex but the guy, who was also quite drunk at the time?

Plenty of people saw them making out and grinding each other on the dance floor, and plenty saw them leave together, and then enter the girls dorm.
But nobody knows what happened once they entered the girl's room and closed the door.

She just woke up and found a naked guy lying next to her, and she states emphatically that she did NOT consent to sex.

The guy swears not only did she say "yes", but she initiated the sex.

He said/she said.

Rape?

One of the things that make rape rape is the fact it is non-consensual sex. I think the school is trying to hide crimes in order to protect its image.

No means yes? Who knew.
Of if she is too passed out to say no. Its a free for all.

What are they saying? "Yes, we had sex and no, I didn't agree. It was good though." Or is it rape? C'mon. Rape is rape. If you've been raped and you go to the New Haven police, it's going to be a rape they're investigating and not "non-consensual" sex. Yale is just redefining yet another term to maintain an image.

Is it 100% for certain rape simply based on the female stating she said she did not consent?

Do women ever lie?

Are guys always guilty?

Or perhaps, the findings were/are that there's no way to know, based on evidence provided, that a rape actually happened?

As might often be the case when large amounts of alcohol and/or drugs might be involved.

Is it 100% for certain rape simply based on the female stating she said she did not consent?

Do women ever lie?

Are guys always guilty?

Or perhaps, the findings were/are that there's no way to know, based on evidence provided, that a rape actually happened?

As might often be the case when large amounts of alcohol and/or drugs might be involved.

As might often be the case when large amounts of alcohol and/or drugs might be involved.[/QUOTE]

A woman lying is plausible, but 61 women telling the same lie? I think if there were that many ''complaints'' the math tells me that lying isn't a factor here, but the good ole boy system at work.

Do women ever lie?

Are guys always guilty?

How many cases actually involve the woman as the rapist?

And shouldn't there be an option for *only if someone complains*?

Back
Top Bottom