• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Non-computer hobbies

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
So I *really* need some non-computer hobbies...preferably something that isn't too expensive or extreme, can be done in an urban setting (DC), and gets me out of my apartment lest I become a total recluse. I'm looking to meet more people...especially girls. Any suggestions?

(Oh, and I hate bars/clubs.)

Last edited:
So I *really* need some non-computer hobbies...preferably something that isn't too expensive or extreme, can be done in an urban setting (DC), and gets me out of my apartment lest I become a total recluse. I'm looking to meet more people...especially girls. Any suggestions?

(Oh, and I hate bars/clubs.)

I have not found any non computer hobby that isn't to expensive.

Let me know when you do.

For meeting girls: go to the park with a dog/small child, lots of chicks at the park.

Last edited:
I'm a roleplaying geek. Pick a game, buy the minimum number of books to play-- somewhere between one and four, depending on the game-- and read them. Then leave a note with your phone number at the store you bought the books from, saying you're looking for a group. Initial investment's a bit steep but the minimum maintenance cost is dirt cheap unless you're a compulsive collector; a pizza and a couple of twelve-packs of soda a week, split between four to six people.

Historical reenactment is more expensive, but there are far more women involved. If you're handy with a sewing machine, this hobby can also be profitable.

Table tops are a good choice. If you can get in on a group, all you usually need is dice. Female factor varies significantly here, you can meet a lot of different kinds of women but its more a matter of luck.

Airsoft isn't a bad choice either. It's expensive if you go all-in, but lower end electric guns are cheap and basic safety gear is cheap. Other players also might have weapons that you could borrow. Spring guns are even cheaper but less accurate. Chick factor is less significant here, but it's great fun and a good workout.

Sparring is good as well. Basic bokken are as cheap as $25 and with a little patience and some basic tools you can MAKE a lot of equipment on your own. Chick factor is a little lower, you'd have to find a sparring group or start one of your own that included females.

Back
Top Bottom