• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nobel Peace Prize

Peace prize leads to political issue.

Thorbjoern Jagland, the head of the Nobel Peace Prize committee, said the award was a reminder to nations with big stocks, such as the United States and Russia, to get rid of their own reserves "especially because they are demanding that others do the same, like Syria".

"We now have the opportunity to get rid of an entire category of weapons of mass destruction...That would be a great event in history if we could achieve that," he said.

Yeah I saw this at Yahoo News. Good it is not Putin!

As for reducing WMD's globally I do not think it will happen regardless what OPCW states. Would take WMD use on civilians from other countries to their own people to mandate for such a thing.

The award is a joke. They don't put it on something that was peaceful or brought peace, now they just put it on something they hope will be peaceful or make things more peaceful. I have to agree with republicans on the idea that it died the day they gave it to Obama. It should just be called the ass kissing award at this point. Maybe they should get ted cruz on the list. I hear he thinks he is the savior.

The award is a joke. They don't put it on something that was peaceful or brought peace, now they just put it on something they hope will be peaceful or make things more peaceful. I have to agree with republicans on the idea that it died the day they gave it to Obama. It should just be called the ass kissing award at this point. Maybe they should get ted cruz on the list. I hear he thinks he is the savior.

The award is premature anyway OPCW is still in the process of clearing the chemical weapons in Syria.

Congratulations to the recipients but I feel it is slightly premature...Syria's chemical weapons capability will not be be removed until the middle of 2014 - assuming all goes ok.

There's a long way to go until we can say it's a job well done.

The Nobel peace prize is a joke. It is no longer given to award and promote those that truly foster peace in the face of opposition.

It should have gone to Malala Yousafzai, without question or reservation. She is clearly one of the bravest people in the world today, and she's not even an adult yet.

Today's nobel is attempting to be a political force, and nothing more.

Last edited:

Henry Kissinger, 1973.

Henry Kissinger, 1973.

And don't forget - it was shared with a Communist thug who idolized Stalin and Lenin. Whatever. Not my money.

The only thing that bothers me: the truly great and rare people like Norman Borlaug or Andrei Sakharov who are also on the list of recipients - what did they ever do, to deserve such humiliation?

With the history and reputation the Nobel Peace Prize has garnered over the years, I'm frankly shocked to learn that they didn't give it to Honey Boo Boo, who is every bit as qualified as most other recipients and judging by the Nielson ratings, is six times as popular. :lol:

For ****s sake..

"shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.

That is the conditions of nomination and winning the prize. Hence Obama met those conditions and so have every other winner.

For ****s sake..

That is the conditions of nomination and winning the prize. Hence Obama met those conditions and so have every other winner.

Do you have any links to Obama meeting a single condition for the Peace Prize? On second thought, forget the links, an anecdote will suffice. Or just make something up.

Do you have any links to Obama meeting a single condition for the Peace Prize? On second thought, forget the links, an anecdote will suffice. Or just make something up.

Dude... did you even read the quoted?

After Bush JR, any President would have qualified for the prize by just offering a peaceful hand to the rest of the world.. which is what Obama did.

Back
Top Bottom