• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Noah’s Ark

It's not just the social beliefs, it's also the willful ignorance, misinformation, and denial or hostility to science (especially when it contradicts the bible) that's also a problem.

Christians I know in real life are not hostile to science. It's a particular kind of Christian you mainly meet online. Even some Christians on this site, don't click on a thread like this because they know there will be fundies here. They don't believe that strongly in the Flood, but more importantly they don't care.

Free speech + Biblical fundamentalism = Bible Troll

Being ignorant of the history of the fig tree's representation only makes your viewpoint full of BS. You don't have to be a believer to understand history.

I have a fig tree in my yard, for ****'s sake. I don't sprinkle poison around its roots everytime it puts out leaves without any fruit.

You're trying for some "arcane knowledge" explanation for how Jesus apparently violated two of the commandments: destroying someone else's property is equivalent to stealing, and lusting after fruit where there is none, is the sin of coveting.

Go on then. Quote some Bible at me.

Christians I know in real life are not hostile to science. It's a particular kind of Christian you mainly meet online. Even some Christians on this site, don't click on a thread like this because they know there will be fundies here. They don't believe that strongly in the Flood, but more importantly they don't care.

Free speech + Biblical fundamentalism = Bible Troll
I've encountered some who are hostile to science. But there's definitely greater amounts of hostility on display online, as the internet does provide a platform for their disingenuous BS.

I have a fig tree in my yard, for ****'s sake. I don't sprinkle poison around its roots everytime it puts out leaves without any fruit.

You're trying for some "arcane knowledge" explanation for how Jesus apparently violated two of the commandments: destroying someone else's property is equivalent to stealing, and lusting after fruit where there is none, is the sin of coveting.

Go on then. Quote some Bible at me.
Cultural changes are the norm, so what you do today doesn't negate the cultural influences of the period during Jesus' lifetime. Perhaps that's why you don't understand its significance. You're trying to tie your modern day life to ancient history.

Cultural changes are the norm, so what you do today doesn't negate the cultural influences of the period during Jesus' lifetime. Perhaps that's why you don't understand its significance. You're trying to tie your modern day life to ancient history.

I'm not the one trying to extract lessons for how to lead my life from a 3,000 year old book.

I'm not the one trying to extract lessons for how to lead my life from a 3,000 year old book.
I'm not the one trying to tell you how to live your life. That's up to you. Here we're just having a discussion. Don't take it personal.

I'm not the one trying to tell you how to live your life. That's up to you. Here we're just having a discussion. Don't take it personal.

You tell me that my experience of fig trees is irrelevant, then you tell me I don't understand the historical context in which destroying someone else's property is not a sin after all, and now you say we're having a conversation.

No, we're not having a conversation. I'm cleaning up your mess, and losing patience with it fast.

You tell me that my experience of fig trees is irrelevant, then you tell me I don't understand the historical context in which destroying someone else's property is not a sin after all, and now you say we're having a conversation.

No, we're not having a conversation. I'm cleaning up your mess, and losing patience with it fast.
Sorry you got so worked up by something so simple. Enjoy your day.

Sorry you got so worked up by something so simple. Enjoy your day.

OK, if you won't quote the Bible then I will.

Mathew 21
18Now in the morning as he returned into the city, he hungered. 19And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away. 20And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away! 21Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done. 22And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

So it's a lesson. If you have faith you can go around destroying things, even mountains. And never mind that it might break a commandment or two.

This story differs in that the fig tree does not die immediately. But it also mentions that the fig tree is not necessarily barren: it is not yet the time of figs.

Again for his disciples the utterly un-Christian message that God will allow them any sin or crime if they only have faith and seek forgivenness afterwards.

What a psycho. He's not just breaking commandments, he's telling others to do it too.

Again for his disciples the utterly un-Christian message that God will allow them any sin or crime if they only have faith and seek forgivenness afterwards.

What a psycho. He's not just breaking commandments, he's telling others to do it too.
Nonsense. Jesus told everyone - including all the stiff-necked God and Jesus bashers, to REPENT, OR PERISH (Luke 13:3). That's the part you missed above.

Nonsense. Jesus told everyone - including all the stiff-necked God and Jesus bashers, to REPENT, OR PERISH (Luke 13:3). That's the part you missed above.
Empty threats from a cosmic boogeyman or Jewish Zombie is hardly convincing or persuasive.

Any source that believes in Atlantis hasn't looked at a map.

View attachment 67383787

There's nothing big there, and hasn't been in millions of years. The ridge has lines of reversed magnetic polarity all along it: the Earth's poles have reversed and more than once, in the time the ridge has been there.

You could sell me on a giant alligator before I'd accept Atlantis!
I can get the spot out of Google Maps.

It wouldn't be that hard for a cosmic being to do such a thing.

Atlantis may have been a distant planet, lots of people had births there and also on Venus.

I'd have to hear sediment data and sea level and tsunami data from the era to completely disbelieve in an Atlantis on Earth. Some realm may have had an Atlantis.

Exactly...what kinda fool ignores warnings or directions to take in order to save one's own life? Only the buffoon of fools...

Because I don't really care to feed your folly. It doesn't do any good. You just kick it all to the curb. Get a new thread and a new pooch to run around the arena. So far you've struck out.
Please show that is a true statement without resorting to snide comments, religious rhetoric, and unsupported claims.

Exactly...what kinda fool ignores warnings or directions to take in order to save one's own life? Only the buffoon of fools...
However, can anybody show that the author of Luke told the truth?
Nope, it's just an unsupported claim You can't show there is a 'lake of fire' that isn't just using the imagry of a volcano.

Luke has a version of the story? OK then:

Luke 13
13 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.

2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?

3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?

5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.

7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?

8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:

9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

10 And he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath.

11 And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself.

12 And when Jesus saw her, he called her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity.

It's not the same story, it's not the same fig tree. I think it's your own Bible Studies that needs digging around and dunging.

You heed warnings or directions from the Devil then?

Understand, to us neither God nor the Devil has any more standing to give advice, warnings, or instruction. Neither exist.

And let's not forget the parable of the colt. Jesus is tired so he sends two of his followers into a town to STEAL A COLT. This is considerably more serious than blighting a fig tree, firstly because it's Grand Theft in the terms of the time, and secondly it is stealing rather than destroying and is specifically forbidden by the Eighth Commandment.

Mathew 21
21 And when they drew nigh unto Jerusalem, and were come to Bethphage, unto the mount of Olives, then sent Jesus two disciples,

2 Saying unto them, Go into the village over against you, and straightway ye shall find an ass tied, and a colt with her: loose them, and bring them unto me.

3 And if any man say ought unto you, ye shall say, The Lord hath need of them; and straightway he will send them.

4 All this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying,

5 Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of an ass.

6 And the disciples went, and did as Jesus commanded them,

7 And brought the ass, and the colt, and put on them their clothes, and they set him thereon.

8 And a very great multitude spread their garments in the way; others cut down branches from the trees, and strawed them in the way.

9 And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the son of David: Blessed is he <blah blah>

In this version however, only the colt is mentioned. What does Jesus need a colt for? Well to send a message to the "great multitude" of his great humility. Cack.

Mark 11
1 And when they came nigh to Jerusalem, unto Bethphage and Bethany, at the mount of Olives, he sendeth forth two of his disciples,

2 And saith unto them, Go your way into the village over against you: and as soon as ye be entered into it, ye shall find a colt tied, whereon never man sat; loose him, and bring him.

3 And if any man say unto you, Why do ye this? say ye that the Lord hath need of him; and straightway he will send him hither.

4 And they went their way, and found the colt tied by the door without in a place where two ways met; and they loose him.

5 And certain of them that stood there said unto them, What do ye, loosing the colt?

6 And they said unto them even as Jesus had commanded: and they let them go.

7 And they brought the colt to Jesus, and cast their garments on him; and he sat upon him.

8 And many spread their garments in the way: and others cut down branches off the trees, and strawed them in the way.

9 And they that went before, and they that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna; <blah blah blah>

It's clearer here that the people of the village are suspicious of Jesus's followers taking a colt, but stand down when the Lord's name is mentioned. They're not afraid of the Lord necessarily, but of the mob of religious nutters they DO NOT want in their village. So they let the colt leave their possession (remember, it is tied up: someone owns it).

Even if we infer (because it is not specified) that God magic'd the colt into existence in a village for no particular reason, the townsfolk would be doing the right thing by defending the colt for its real owner there in the village. Never mind the message being sent to Jesus's followers, what's the message being sent to the villagers of Bethany? It's OK to steal if you have the superior numbers? Or is it even it's OK to steal if you have God on your side?

Third time should flush this turd:

Luke 13
29 And it came to pass, when he was come nigh to Bethphage and Bethany, at the mount called the mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples,

30 Saying, Go ye into the village over against you; in the which at your entering ye shall find a colt tied, whereon yet never man sat: loose him, and bring him hither.

31 And if any man ask you, Why do ye loose him? thus shall ye say unto him, Because the Lord hath need of him.

32 And they that were sent went their way, and found even as he had said unto them.

33 And as they were loosing the colt, the owners thereof said unto them, Why loose ye the colt?

34 And they said, The Lord hath need of him.

35 And they brought him to Jesus:
and they cast their garments upon the colt, and they set Jesus thereon.

36 And as he went, they spread their clothes in the way.

37 And when he was come nigh, even now <blah blah>

Luke is the most plainspoken of all. The owners of the colt objected, but backed down when threatened with God and his mob.

How dare Christians hold others to barbaric laws of the Old Testament, when their own Christ disobeys the most essential part of the OT, ie the Commandments?

(All quotes from biblegateway KJVersion)

You heed warnings or directions from the Devil then?

Understand, to us neither God nor the Devil has any more standing to give advice, warnings, or instruction. Neither exist.
lol...the devil lies...if you listen to him, which obviously you do, that's your problem...

lol...if you're gonna quote God's Word, try being more accurate...

I got one number wrong and that's enough for you? Pretty low standards of debate you have.

Jesus stole a colt, and you barely have to read between the lines to see it was his host of followers who enforced the implicit threat "God needs this colt". It's sheer brigandry, and the whole moral of the story is "to hell with non-believers, we can violate our own commandments with them, what matters is presenting a facade of humility to the believers."

It's absolutely despicable, and your refusal to defend or explain it is NOTED.

lol...the devil lies...if you listen to him, which obviously you do, that's your problem...

You seem to be good at not getting the point. Makes me wonder how much progress you have really made in reading and understanding your Bible.

Back
Top Bottom