• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Noah’s Ark

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
We learned the Noah story in Sunday school. God wasn’t pleased with the “wicked world,” so he tasked Noah to save pairs of animals and his family. I wonder what God thinks of us now?

We learned the Noah story in Sunday school. God wasn’t pleased with the “wicked world,” so he tasked Noah to save pairs of animals and his family. I wonder what God thinks of us now?
I've often wondered the same thing... If people's actions back then pissed god off, god must be steaming right now.

BTW, I've always believed that most stories in the bible are just that... Stories... But the Noah's ark story is one of those that might have at least some truth to it.

He loves us and wants to give us all a chance for life...

"Jehovah* is not slow concerning his promise,+ as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire anyone to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9

I've often wondered the same thing... If people's actions back then pissed god off, god must be steaming right now.

BTW, I've always believed that most stories in the bible are just that... Stories... But the Noah's ark story is one of those that might have at least some truth to it.

A lot of them have 'some truth to it.' I'm not sure why Noah's story is always #1 to try and prove.

Maybe God has had a little talk with Elon Musk?

Interesting quotes about Noah's Ark from 2,000 years ago:

Ancient references to Noah's Ark, cited by the 1st century Jewish historian Josephus:

“However, the Armenians call this place (the resting place of Noah’s Ark) ‘The Place of Descent,’ for the ark being saved in that place, its remains are shewn there by the inhabitants to this day.”

“Now all the writers of barbarian histories make mention of this flood and of this ark; among whom is Berosus the Chaldean; for when he is describing the circumstances of the flood, he goes on thus: ‘It is said there is still some part of the ship in Armenia, at the mountain of the Cordyeans; and that some people carry off pieces of the bitumen, which they take away and use chiefly as amulets for the averting of mischiefs.’ Hieronymus the Egyptian, also, who wrote the Phoenician Antiquities, and Mnaseas, and a great many more, make mention of the same. Nay, Nicolaus of Damascus, in his ninety-sixth book, hath a particular relation about them, where he speaks thus: ‘There is a great mountain in Armenia, over Minyas, called Baris, upon which it is reported that many who fled at the time of the Deluge were saved; and that one who was carried in an ark came on shore upon the top of it; and that the remains of the timber were a great while preserved. This might be the man about whom Moses, the legislator of the Jews wrote.’”

https://www.peopleofar.com/2013/08/11/noahs-ark-in-the-mountains-of-armenia/

ALSO –

Interesting quote from about 180 AD:

"The remains of the Ark (of Noah) can be seen to this day in the Arabian mountains." - Theophilus. Theophilus was the Bishop of Antioch. Source: Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs, by David Bercot, referencing the Ante-Nicene Fathers, Volume 2, pg. 117.

https://books.google.com/books?id=nFlVEAAAQBAJ&pg=PT81&lpg=PT81&dq=The+remains+of+the+Ark+(of+Noah)+can+be+seen+to+this+day+in+the+Arabian+mountains."+-+Theophilus&source=bl&ots=IqhwUDDBpR&sig=ACfU3U2kt_K01oMXpSsx8Ml0De5QM9gjCQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjtyP7Q0rv1AhXiEEQIHXnlCYAQ6AF6BAgCEAM#v=onepage&q=The remains of the Ark (of Noah) can be seen to this day in the Arabian mountains." - Theophilus&f=false

So, the Ark was visible to people 2,000 years ago.

A lot of them have 'some truth to it.' I'm not sure why Noah's story is always #1 to try and prove.
I don't know about it being #1 to prove, I've just seen a few documentaries that present some compelling evidence that the remains of a ship of some kind are located on MT. Ararat. Even if that is proven true, that's a far cry from proving it to be the fabled "Noah's ark".

Well, the world isn't ending. There's no deluge to flood the planet. No asteroids from space to wipe us out-at least not yet. God doesn't seem to care.
I don't know about it being #1 to prove, I've just seen a few documentaries that present some compelling evidence that the remains of a ship of some kind are located on MT. Ararat. Even if that is proven true, that's a far cry from proving it to be the fabled "Noah's ark".
Some theists seem to latch on to anything which might validate their beliefs, even if a little. Find a boat, it must be "Noah's Ark." Something fortuitous happens, it must be a "miracle," ect..

Interesting quotes about Noah's Ark from 2,000 years ago:

Ancient references to Noah's Ark, cited by the 1st century Jewish historian Josephus:

“However, the Armenians call this place (the resting place of Noah’s Ark) ‘The Place of Descent,’ for the ark being saved in that place, its remains are shewn there by the inhabitants to this day.”

“Now all the writers of barbarian histories make mention of this flood and of this ark; among whom is Berosus the Chaldean; for when he is describing the circumstances of the flood, he goes on thus: ‘It is said there is still some part of the ship in Armenia, at the mountain of the Cordyeans; and that some people carry off pieces of the bitumen, which they take away and use chiefly as amulets for the averting of mischiefs.’ Hieronymus the Egyptian, also, who wrote the Phoenician Antiquities, and Mnaseas, and a great many more, make mention of the same. Nay, Nicolaus of Damascus, in his ninety-sixth book, hath a particular relation about them, where he speaks thus: ‘There is a great mountain in Armenia, over Minyas, called Baris, upon which it is reported that many who fled at the time of the Deluge were saved; and that one who was carried in an ark came on shore upon the top of it; and that the remains of the timber were a great while preserved. This might be the man about whom Moses, the legislator of the Jews wrote.’”

https://www.peopleofar.com/2013/08/11/noahs-ark-in-the-mountains-of-armenia/

ALSO –

Interesting quote from about 180 AD:

"The remains of the Ark (of Noah) can be seen to this day in the Arabian mountains." - Theophilus. Theophilus was the Bishop of Antioch. Source: Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs, by David Bercot, referencing the Ante-Nicene Fathers, Volume 2, pg. 117.

https://books.google.com/books?id=nFlVEAAAQBAJ&pg=PT81&lpg=PT81&dq=The+remains+of+the+Ark+(of+Noah)+can+be+seen+to+this+day+in+the+Arabian+mountains."+-+Theophilus&source=bl&ots=IqhwUDDBpR&sig=ACfU3U2kt_K01oMXpSsx8Ml0De5QM9gjCQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjtyP7Q0rv1AhXiEEQIHXnlCYAQ6AF6BAgCEAM#v=onepage&q=The remains of the Ark (of Noah) can be seen to this day in the Arabian mountains." - Theophilus&f=false

So, the Ark was visible to people 2,000 years ago.
It's cool people were still talking about it after all those years and there were stories of survivors of the flood living on high ground. There was definitely a real Mother of a flood at some point. Did someone build a ship to save his livestock? Maybe, if he saw it coming. It's not very likely a wooden vessel and its pitch would still be around after thousands of years, though. Don't know about that part. Some religious relics in a church, maybe?

Just for the record, a three mile wide comet hit the Indian Ocean about 2807 B.C. making an eighteen mile wide crater. Everybody wished they had an ark, because it rained and rained and so they wrote such stories upon contemplation of the event leaving evidence in the atmosphere. Noah's ark is a common pastime, although on Earth, there never was no Noah.

Just for the record, a three mile wide comet hit the Indian Ocean about 2807 B.C. making an eighteen mile wide crater. Everybody wished they had an ark, because it rained and rained and so they wrote such stories upon contemplation of the event leaving evidence in the atmosphere. Noah's ark is a common pastime, although on Earth, there never was no Noah.
Noah is in the Book, good enough for me!
Genesis 5:29

See Post #6. Plus, Jesus mentioned Noah and he's got good creds with me.
Well, that just proves that if Jesus existed at all, he wasn't God, because the story is physically impossible.

I wonder how that compares with the space rock that hit near Cancun and caused most of the dinosaurs' extinction, over a time period.

And I wonder how much is really known about this/and 2807 BC.

Who cares about the opinion of an inept diety who murdered millions of babies because of his own ****up?

Who cares about the opinion of an inept diety who murdered millions of babies because of his own ****up?

God took the babies to heaven so their parents couldn't bring them up to be murderers. Sent the parents to Hell no doubt.

As for murderers...you vote for these baby butchers?

Abortion Democrats.jpg

God took the babies to heaven so their parents couldn't bring them up to be murderers. Sent the parents to Hell no doubt.

As for murderers...you vote for these baby butchers?

View attachment 67383671

If your god exists, he gets to claim those "murders" too. It's fully within his power to prevent them, yet he doesn't.

Noah is in the Book, good enough for me!
Genesis 5:29
I addressed the Noah story a while back and pointed out flaws with it and possible alternative explanations. Although, a comet strike into the ocean would cause a tsunami, which can be perceived as a global flood. Instead of rain, god Deep Impacted us. While that would be a plausible, natural explanation, it also contradicts the depiction of constant rain flooding the Earth.

Source? There is speculation that comet shards impacted about 13,000 years ago. But there's not enough evidence to adequately support it.

If your god exists, he gets to claim those "murders" too. It's fully within his power to prevent them, yet he doesn't.
That's nonsense. God’s Judgments saves lives

Here's how it works: How many people would 100 evil men kill in their lifetimes? Let's say a thousand, and the 100 evil men wind up in hell when they die. Now, let's let those 100 evil men have 100 offspring that over time grow up to kill an additional 1,000 people. Now, you have 200 evil men in hell and 2,000 murdered others.

Now let's take it to the 10th or so generation. By now, you've had 10,000 evil men giving birth to 10,000 offspring and together those 20,000 evil men and/or women murder 200,000 people total. So, you now have 20,000 evil men and women in hell (vs. 100 if you had judged and executed them earlier), plus 200,000 other dead people.

So, God, being smarter than his critics, and able to see consequences further out in time than the mathematically-challenged "God is evil" crowd, saves 19,900 people from going to hell plus he saves 199,000 others from getting murdered. And he does that by stopping the bloodshed before it gets rolling.

Get the picture? God Judgment saves lives, and saves multitudes from winding up in Hell.

Here's how it works: How many people would 100 evil men kill in their lifetimes? Let's say a thousand, and the 100 evil men wind up in hell when they die. Now, let's let those 100 evil men have 100 offspring that over time grow up to kill an additional 1,000 people. Now, you have 200 evil men in hell and 2,000 murdered others.

Now let's take it to the 10th or so generation. By now, you've had 10,000 evil men giving birth to 10,000 offspring and together those 20,000 evil men and/or women murder 200,000 people total. So, you now have 20,000 evil men and women in hell (vs. 100 if you had judged and executed them earlier), plus 200,000 other dead people.

So, God, being smarter than his critics, and able to see consequences further out in time than the mathematically-challenged "God is evil" crowd, saves 19,900 people from going to hell plus he saves 199,000 others from getting murdered. And he does that by stopping the bloodshed before it gets rolling.

Get the picture? God Judgment saves lives, and saves multitudes from winding up in Hell.

God's judgment always comes after a person dies, so god prevents nothing bad from happening on earth. I suspect god gets off on it.

God's judgment always comes after a person dies, so god prevents nothing bad from happening on earth. I suspect god gets off on it.
I suspect god is just a malevolent douche.

Nonsense. How ironic.

How many people would be murdered if God didn't create evil men in the first place?

Back
Top Bottom