• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No WoW threads?

Sykes

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Nobody playing the granddaddy of MMORPG's?

I had a couple of friends try to get me into it recently. It's just not really my thing. The graphics are kind of dated and it takes forever to get anywhere if you don't basically treat the game like a full time job.

My internet connection also kind of sucks, which makes keeping up with everyone else during dungeons and raids a bit of a pain even at the best of times (pretty sad considering the fact that the game was originally released in friggin' 2003, I know).

I had a couple of friends try to get me into it recently. It's just not really my thing. The graphics are kind of dated and it takes forever to get anywhere if you don't basically treat the game like a full time job.

My internet connection also kind of sucks, which makes keeping up with everyone else during dungeons and raids a bit of a pain even at the best of times (pretty sad considering the fact that the game was originally released in friggin' 2003, I know).

Actually November 2004 - not that I'd know anything about that. What, you think I'm some kind of nerd? I scoff.

I started playing in spring of 2006. And really - I can quit any time I want.

Moderator's Warning:
Moved to the appropriate location.

Grandaddy? More like special ed grandson. A little history:

MUDs: First one released summer 1977
Meridian 59: first 3d MMORPG, released 1995
Ultima Online: released 1997, first significantly successful MMORPG
Everquest: Released 1999, first hugely successful MMORPG
Eve Online: Released 2003
WoW: Released 2004

Note that I did not include a whole slew of other games released before WoW that where important and had some success(Anarchy Online, Asheron's Call, Star Wars Galaxies(well, the less said about that the better) among many many more. Hell, Everquest 2 released before WoW(and had better gameplay and graphics).

Grandaddy? More like special ed grandson. A little history:

MUDs: First one released summer 1977
Meridian 59: first 3d MMORPG, released 1995
Ultima Online: released 1997, first significantly successful MMORPG
Everquest: Released 1999, first hugely successful MMORPG
Eve Online: Released 2003
WoW: Released 2004

Note that I did not include a whole slew of other games released before WoW that where important and had some success(Anarchy Online, Asheron's Call, Star Wars Galaxies(well, the less said about that the better) among many many more. Hell, Everquest 2 released before WoW(and had better gameplay and graphics).

How about granddaddy of SUCCESSFUL MMORPG's? ;) What is the biggest player base any of those ever attained? For WoW it was 12.5 million and AFAIK, nobody else even came close.

How about granddaddy of SUCCESSFUL MMORPG's? ;) What is the biggest player base any of those ever attained? For WoW it was 12.5 million and AFAIK, nobody else even came close.

Almost every one I mentioned was both successful and a better game.

We used to have a DebatePolitics.com guild on Antonidas. Yes there's quite a few WoW players here.

We used to have a DebatePolitics.com guild on Antonidas. Yes there's quite a few WoW players here.

Cool! I'll do a search here with the realm name. Thanks.

Cool! I'll do a search here with the realm name. Thanks.
I don't remember the name of the guild, but it was given to a new GM and most DP'ers left it 3 years ago.

I don't remember the name of the guild, but it was given to a new GM and most DP'ers left it 3 years ago.

Yeah, I found a really long WoW thread here, but it ended in 2011, so I am guessing no more DP WoWheads. But me.

Last edited:
Thanks again! I don't know if it was, because I think after four pages I just sorta scrolled. I wanted to see if Pandaria was included.
On my gaming PC I have a Razer Nostromo for the left hand. I use a roller-ball for the right hand, and a small bluetooth keyboard for typing.

I'm a macro-masher, not a clicker. There's only a few commands my toon does that aren't macro'd.

I love addons and custom UIs.

During slow/down times my fav thing to do is go to the new toon area and hand out gold. That doesn't work so well with cross-relm active, though.

I use a tank for raids, proferring the pally. Hunter is my class for dps even though it doesn't top the charts; it's just more user friendly when it comes to managing spells and abilities imo. I PvP & raid heal with a resto shammy. Looooove the shammy class.

Last edited:
On my gaming PC I have a Razer Nostromo for the left hand. I use a roller-ball for the right hand, and a small bluetooth keyboard for typing.

I'm a macro-masher, not a clicker. There's only a few commands my toon does that aren't macro'd.

I love addons and custom UIs.

During slow/down times my fav thing to do is go to the new toon area and hand out gold. That doesn't work so well with cross-relm active, though.

I use a tank for raids, proferring the pally. Hunter is my class for dps even though it doesn't top the charts; it's just more user friendly when it comes to managing spells and abilities imo. I PvP & raid heal with a resto shammy. Looooove the shammy class.

I miss my roller ball. :( I allegedly have a gaming mouse, it came with the gaming PC, but every day I am ready to turn it in for a roller.

Uh, you have to account for much slower internet back then, much smaller potential base yet big, for its time, membership. Evercrack as it's referred to as well as Ultima lived in a time of dial up (are you even old enough to know what that is?) yet still had huge numbers of players.

Uh, you have to account for much slower internet back then, much smaller potential base yet big, for its time, membership. Evercrack as it's referred to as well as Ultima lived in a time of dial up (are you even old enough to know what that is?) yet still had huge numbers of players.

I'm 36, so yes.

That was one of the things that really told a story. EQ topped 500k subscribers...in an era when to play people had to tie up their phone lines to play, which mostly meant that little kids could not play. WoW came along at just the right time as DSL and cable meant all the little kids could play the kiddy MMO.

That was one of the things that really told a story. EQ topped 500k subscribers...in an era when to play people had to tie up their phone lines to play, which mostly meant that little kids could not play. WoW came along at just the right time as DSL and cable meant all the little kids could play the kiddy MMO.

Funny; I read the thread where you were really into that "kiddy MMO" for a while there.

wow mostly isnt discussed anymore since its popularity has died since catyclism and fell even further with mists of panderia.

in all actuality,the game in fairly old coming out in 04,theres only so much content you can add before players get bored altogether.

in terms of grandaddy of mmo's redress is quite right that they existed and were successfull long before wow.the original guild wars came out shortly after wow and gave it a run for its money until arenanet fumbled that ball.but even then wow only became so popular because of diablo 2,which has a legacy to this day for creatinng a standard for online gaming in rpgs.diablo 2's online legacy combined with warcraft 1-3's popularity meant wow had instant recognition,whereas other mmo's many prior had virtually none.

plus count dial up,remember the days of diablo 2????early dialup,and the game had very little bandwidth demand,so imagine games like everquest that demand more running on 56k or less.broadband was available back then but wasnt cheap until later,and wow also happened to be released at the right time when broadband was getting cheap.

Back
Top Bottom