• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NO Trump gain if he pardons Manafort

haymarket

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Watching the TV today and seeing all hell break loose as Michael Cohen is in court and Trump is implicated more deeply than ever before in crimes and lies about Russia. This comes in the same week that the Guardian says there was talks between Manafort and Asange which could prove coordinated collusion.... and in the same week as the Manafort plea deal blow up and the same week as Trumps rather public meltdown resulting in an obvious dangling of a pardon to Manafort and anybody else who will take the bullet for him.

But having said that - what exactly would Trump gain from a Manafort pardon given that Cohen is damaging him and Flynn has turned against him and Gates is cooperating and Mueller most likely knows everything that Manafort could have given him and he can introduce it via others - especially Gates since he probably knew 95% or more of what Manafort knew?

The way I see it - all Trump gains is more aggravation and possible obstruction of justice charges if he pardons Manafort. And he fails to protect himself against any of the information which could bring him down.

Your reactions please.

Watching the TV today and seeing all hell break loose as Michael Cohen is in court and Trump is implicated more deeply than ever before in crimes and lies about Russia. This comes in the same week that the Guardian says there was talks between Manafort and Asange which could prove coordinated collusion.... and in the same week as the Manafort plea deal blow up and the same week as Trumps rather public meltdown resulting in an obvious dangling of a pardon to Manafort and anybody else who will take the bullet for him.

But having said that - what exactly would Trump gain from a Manafort pardon given that Cohen is damaging him and Flynn has turned against him and Gates is cooperating and Mueller most likely knows everything that Manafort could have given him and he can introduce it via others - especially Gates since he probably knew 95% or more of what Manafort knew?

The way I see it - all Trump gains is more aggravation and possible obstruction of justice charges if he pardons Manafort. And he fails to protect himself against any of the information which could bring him down.

Your reactions please.

In my opinion, your perceptive question only proves to diminish all the hyperbole, innuendo, spin and speculation that's being spewed out from all the Trump hating talking potato heads.

btw, that nonsense about Manafort and Assange...you should know that it has been completely debunked. Fake news.

Your reactions please.

There is also the immunity deal Mueller gave to Allen Weisselberg, Trump's former CFO. Too there are reportedly people in sealed indictments. We don't know who they are. Trump probably knows as a result of him slithering in AAG Matthew Whitaker.

With Wesisselberg it will likely take a while to ferret through hundreds of Trump's shell companies and the shell companies his shell companies dealt with. But we have seen as of yesterday that investigation is heating up with Deutsch Bank. Wesisselberg's knowledge no doubt will be/is of value there. No matter, Trump has to know that if he has any connections to financial malfeasance the fit will eventually hit the shan. It'll just take a while coming down.

Trump is now in full tilt whack-a-mole. It is popping up faster than he can handle it. To my thinking pardoning Manafort now will do nothing more than make things worse.

Last edited:
I think Trump pardoning anyone right now related in any way to this, would be trouble. The fact that he has the power and hasn't used it yet, seems to indicate the legal advice is to not use it.
Also, even though Gates was pinched hard enough to finally plea and testify against Manafort, the jury admitted they threw out Gates' entire testimony when deciding his guilt. And only ONE stupid juror, probably a lot like some of the Trump defenders on this forum, insisted there was no enough evidence on the other half of the charges. Every other juror appears to have been ready to convict on all counts.

Either way, this indicates the case they built was sufficient to lock in 8 felony guilty charges WITHOUT their star witness and cooperator, Rick Gates. So they don't get the Manafort the liar to plea...do they *really* care?

Manafort looks to be gambling on the pardon though, in his mind he's already been found guilty and feels he can't do the time, so a pardon is his only hope.
In my opinion, your perceptive question only proves to diminish all the hyperbole, innuendo, spin and speculation that's being spewed out from all the Trump hating talking potato heads.
btw, that nonsense about Manafort and Assange...you should know that it has been completely debunked. Fake news.

On what is your opinion based on, and what claims do you believe are diminished? Your post is woefully short on substance and fact, as usual. I know your posts never rely on facts, but it would be nice if they did for a change.

What I have seen the media discuss is how Manafort was feeding information from the Mueller questioning/plea discussions back to the Trump defense team, and how that looks really and considering Manafort is a convicted Felon, and he was in the Trump Tower meeting, an investigation focus point for the criminal investigation into the president's campaign. Looks bad for Manafort, Trump, and Trump's legal team to me. How is that diminished?

Trump is now in full tilt whack-a-mole. It is popping up faster than he can handle it.

It does seem from the comments of the cultists here that the Fox News feedback loop, when they cover it, is about two days behind schedule. Especially since they keep on talking about perjury traps. The rest of the time they are focusing on Hillary Emails...

According to the Guardian, Ecuador has Manafort on a guest list at the London Embassy in March 2016

Your reactions please.

I tend to agree. I think a pardon of Paul Manafort after lying to the FBI about campaign malfeasance would (at least in theory) be an obvious obstruction of justice case. But when the fox is guarding the henhouse, who knows?

Your reactions please.

mueller.jpg

It is popping up faster than he can handle it.

Robert Mueller is an accomplished prosecutor. He knows how to connect all the dots with connecting and corroborating lines of evidence, which is known as "convergence of evidence".

The more that evidentiary convergence exists, the stronger the evidence is in-toto.

Trump's legal problems are just gathering momentum. Sooner rather than later, the dribs and drabs will end and the Mueller floodgates will be opened full bore.

Robert Mueller is an accomplished prosecutor. He knows how to connect all the dots with connecting and corroborating lines of evidence, which is known as "convergence of evidence".

The more that evidentiary convergence exists, the stronger the evidence is in-toto.

Trump's legal problems are just gathering momentum. Sooner rather than later, the dribs and drabs will end and the Mueller floodgates will be opened full bore.

It's looking more and more like Mueller is very accomplished at creating dots.

It's looking more and more like Mueller is very accomplished at creating dots.

Many confident people like you underestimated Robert Mueller. Most found themselves sporting wrist and leg shackles.

Back
Top Bottom