• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

No smoking

Re: No smokeing

gordontravels said:
And I Want to point out that the breasts are definitely connected to the esophogas, nose or mouth.

The mouth takes in nourishment and when you swallow it goes down the esophogas to the stomach which provides the protiens and all that other stuff for simple cell division THROUGH THE BLOODSTREAM. The nose takes in oxygen as well as smoke to the lungs and there it enters the body THROUGH THE BLOODSTREAM. Am I wrong?

Basic Anatomy: Everything you take into your body either through the nose, mouth, absorbed through the skin or intravenous goes into the blood system of the body and goes to every part of the body. Metastasize = you can have cancer in the kidney and it can spread to the lungs or breast through the blood stream. You can have osteo sarcoma, cancer of the bone and it can metastasize to the lungs or stomach. Metastasize = to spread through the blood. It comes from the word Metastasis which means - change of position, state or form. A transfer of a disease-producing agency from the site of disease to another part of the body. And it does that through the bloodstream. Got it?

To be fair, I think your reference to the esophogus was meant to be the windpipe but then in your expert opinion you would have know that. Am I wrong?
:duel :cool:

You are wrong in a few ways..1. Smoke itself does not enter the blood stream..only the chemicals 2. I did mean esophogus but I did leave out the trachea..most of the smoke goes to the lungs but I'm sure some of it goes down the other way too. 3. By the time the chemicals reached that area of the body they most likely would be broken down and even if they weren't the formation of a cancer is still unlikely. 4. Even if a cancer were to form down there it would take a great deal of time for it to reach the breasts..if fact you would probably already be dead or pretty close to it. The fact that this woman claims to have contracted breast cancer from it is ridiculous to me. You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine but I wanted to show you how ridiculous it sounds especially since it's supposedly from second hand smoke. Someone should do some research on her to see if it is something that runs in her family. As I said..she may have breast cancer but I think this whole second hand smoke bs is just something she's using to further her political agenda.

Napoleon's Nightingale said:
You are wrong in a few ways..1. Smoke itself does not enter the blood stream..only the chemicals 2. I did mean esophogus but I did leave out the trachea..most of the smoke goes to the lungs but I'm sure some of it goes down the other way too. 3. By the time the chemicals reached that area of the body they most likely would be broken down and even if they weren't the formation of a cancer is still unlikely. 4. Even if a cancer were to form down there it would take a great deal of time for it to reach the breasts..if fact you would probably already be dead or pretty close to it. The fact that this woman claims to have contracted breast cancer from it is ridiculous to me. You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine but I wanted to show you how ridiculous it sounds especially since it's supposedly from second hand smoke. Someone should do some research on her to see if it is something that runs in her family. As I said..she may have breast cancer but I think this whole second hand smoke bs is just something she's using to further her political agenda.

Please note: I haven't asked you for any links or even any sites to back your cancer knowledge. You have none; either sites or knowledge.

Your opinion about a political agenda may be right. Your medical knowledge is nearly non-existent. You persist in stating facts about things that doctors don't even know. I agree that we are entitled to our opinions but your medical opinions are so far from the truth that I know you don't know what you are talking about. Still, I won't argue with you having the right to your opinion. Just that it is completely bogus. I suggest a voyage through Gray's Anatomy although I don't think you would understand it. Just look up Matastasize for starters. Good hunting.

Please feel free not to reply.

Deegan said:
Mind your own damn business, that's all I can say to you.

Do you know how many people die of heart disease due to unhealthy eating, or liver disease from drinking? Are you going to suggest we make greasy burgers, or any other fatty food, illegal as well? Who do you think you are, if people want to smoke, eat, drink themselves to death, that is their choice, not yours. My grandfather smoked since he was ten years old, and died at 85, while his best friend worked out everyday, ate right, and died of a massive heart attack at 53. The point is you live as you want, you do what makes you happy, and you tell any arrogant self rightious bastard that gets in your face to go f**k himself.;)
Your posts are totally whacked, to the point of being laughable. You've got nothing left in your pistol, you're shooting blanks.

Sadly, the odds are that you will die 7-10 years before I do. So while you're lying in the ground somewhere with maggots eating all of your flesh I will be tossing back a cold one watching the Yankees.

Some free advice? If you want to give yourself a chance to see the Cubs even make it to the World Series (1932 and counting), no less win one, you need to try to extend your stay on this planet for as long as you can.:lol:

gordontravels said:
Please note: I haven't asked you for any links or even any sites to back your cancer knowledge. You have none; either sites or knowledge.

Your opinion about a political agenda may be right. Your medical knowledge is nearly non-existent. You persist in stating facts about things that doctors don't even know. I agree that we are entitled to our opinions but your medical opinions are so far from the truth that I know you don't know what you are talking about. Still, I won't argue with you having the right to your opinion. Just that it is completely bogus. I suggest a voyage through Gray's Anatomy although I don't think you would understand it. Just look up Matastasize for starters. Good hunting.

Please feel free not to reply.

If I'm speaking of things that doctors don't even know about then how can this woman prove that she contracted cancer in this method. Acctually I do know what I'm talking about. I'm a smoker, I have an ENT, I ask questions, and I read. ;)

P.S. Try reading Prolegomena To Any Future Metaphysics, A Critique of Pure Reason, and An Enquiry Into Human Understanding. Then get back to me about reading levels ;)

Deegan said:
You do choose, you choose to walk in to an establishment that has smokers, stay the hell out. What you can't choose to avoid is air polution, and next you'll tell me that you want all cars off the road.:roll:

You love comparing apples and oranges, don't you.

Cars serve a perfectly good economic purpose. They transport people from place to place. This is a value to society. It makes us more mobile and helps business and people to live a better life.

However, if you smoke and use the product AS IT IS DESIGNED TO BE USED, you not only hurt yourself, but you hurt other people as well. The health expenses created by smoking (including second hand smoke) is an overall economic DRAIN on society.

How you can compare the two is beyond me. Me thinks you are doing little more than grasping at straws at this point.

If I'm speaking of things that doctors don't even know about then how can this woman prove that she contracted cancer in this method. Acctually I do know what I'm talking about. I'm a smoker, I have an ENT, I ask questions, and I read. ;)

P.S. Try reading Prolegomena To Any Future Metaphysics, A Critique of Pure Reason, and An Enquiry Into Human Understanding. Then get back to me about reading levels ;)

No, reading whatever you read couldn't possibly help me. You have an ENT? He tells you things and that makes you knowledgable? You smoke? I don't need to know anything more. Get a clue. Cya. :duel :cool:

26 X World Champs said:
Your posts are totally whacked, to the point of being laughable. You've got nothing left in your pistol, you're shooting blanks.

Wow, we agree. THis is truly frightening.

Sadly, the odds are that you will die 7-10 years before I do. So while you're lying in the ground somewhere with maggots eating all of your flesh I will be tossing back a cold one watching the Yankees.

As much as I hate the Yankees and their fans, even more would I hate to see ANYONE die the way my father did. He was a heavy smoker, and he basically wasted away. HE WAS ONLY FORTY!!!! This doesn't only affect you, this affects families and everyone else around you.

Some free advice? If you want to give yourself a chance to see the Cubs even make it to the World Series (1932 and counting), no less win one, you need to try to extend your stay on this planet for as long as you can.:lol:
Do bad you can't say anything about the Red Sox winning the World Series anymore, huh? ;)

26 X World Champs said:

If you judge the worth of your life by the number of years you live......I feel very sorry for you sir. I have handed you your hat, and your as*, be gone, and mind your business like I suggested, you've got a lot of work to do yet sir.;)

As for the Cubs, they are my team, I don't just flock to the winners because I feel some need to make up for the obvious insecurities in my own life. I stay with them, through thick and thin, and support them always, kinda like love works, but you wouldn't know about that, you're all about 7 to 10 more years.:roll:

Deegan said:
If you judge the worth of your life by the number of years you live......I feel very sorry for you sir. I have handed you your hat, and your as*, be gone, and mind your business like I suggested, you've got a lot of work to do yet sir.;)

It isn't just the number of years, but also the quality of those years. I am 34, I don't drink, I don't smoke. I exercise regularly,play soccer, and run marathons. When I tell people I am 34 and have two children, they don't believe me because they tell me I look like I am in my mid 20s. A have a collegue who is 28 or 29, but looks like he is in his 40s. He is overweight, wheezes easily and looks horrible. He is also a heavy smoker. Let's fact it, people who do not smoke and take care of themselves not only live longer on average, but have a greater number of quality years in their lives.

As for the Cubs, they are my team, I don't just flock to the winners because I feel some need to make up for the obvious insecurities in my own life. I stay with them, through thick and thin, and support them always, kinda like love works, but you wouldn't know about that, you're all about 7 to 10 more years.:roll:

On this, we agree. I am a Red Sox fan, not because they are winning now, but because I am a native New Englander from New Hampshire. I have been through bad years with both the BoSox and the Pats, not to mention the first place Revolution. They are all good teams now, but I stuck with them through the bad years, as I am still sticking with the Celtics despite the teasing I get from friends here who are fans of teams like the Warriors and Spurs.

If other establishments did allow smoking then it's more likely that the smokers will go to them instead of ones which don't allow smoking. Thats what happened here.

Not sure where your "here" is, but the same thing happened in Toledo, Ohio. Many restaurants and bars that couldn't afford the construction costs to build totally separate smoking areas lost business to the various suburbs. I know of at least one popular bar/restaurant that closed due to the ban, others saw up to a 20% decrease (the owners' numbers).

When put to the voters there were modifications made to the smoking ban.

edb19 said:
Not sure where your "here" is, but the same thing happened in Toledo, Ohio. Many restaurants and bars that couldn't afford the construction costs to build totally separate smoking areas lost business to the various suburbs. I know of at least one popular bar/restaurant that closed due to the ban, others saw up to a 20% decrease (the owners' numbers).

When put to the voters there were modifications made to the smoking ban.

But see, if there's a flat out smoking ban, there wouldn't be this problem.

Deegan said:
That's the nicotine talking because no sane person would ever live by such logic.
Deegan said:
Huh? Do you think just because the Yanks are not the Cubs that fans of the Yankees don't hang through thick and thin? I live in NYC, they're my hometown team. Growing up I went from 1962 until 1977 without a World Series win and then from 1978 until 1996. I realize those time frames are miniscule for Cubs fans.....

Kelzie said:
But see, if there's a flat out smoking ban, there wouldn't be this problem.

except we still live in a free market society and are talking about a legal substance - businesses have the right to allow smoking on their premises.

Kelzie said:
Huh. Provide a third option, or somehow show that option "a" is more realistic, and I might believe you.

The third option is to let the business owner decide. It is their place of business, not your's. They started the business, not you. Stop the governmental babysitting and make your own choices about your own health. Be your own adult and leave a place of business if you do not like something about it. Stop being an infant to the government. Exercise your right to make your own choices and allow people the same respect.

alex said:
The third option is to let the business owner decide. It is their place of business, not your's. They started the business, not you. Stop the governmental babysitting and make your own choices about your own health. Be your own adult and leave a place of business if you do not like something about it. Stop being an infant to the government. Exercise your right to make your own choices and allow people the same respect.

No that was actually the first option.

So you believe than that it is better to make nonsmokers stop going to all bars and a large amount of restaurants than it is to make smokers walk 15 ft outside? Seems a little unfair to me.

edb19 said:
except we still live in a free market society and are talking about a legal substance - businesses have the right to allow smoking on their premises.

There's a lot of legal substances that cause cancer. Do you think a business has a right to spray pesticides in the air? Hey, they're legal.

26 X World Champs said:
Ever hear of OSHA? You know, the government agency that protects workers health in the workplace.

Any idea how many lung cancers are caused by smoking? It's 87%!!

Source: http://www.lungcancer.org/patients/fs_pc_lc_101.htm

pc_lc_101_about_chart_1.gif

Source: http://www.lungcancer.org/patients/fs_pc_lc_101.htm

Yeah, smoking should be allowed in public places! I've noted that with very few exceptions almost all the people in this community who are religious about smoking being OK in public spaces are smokers. Very objective, and very telling.

The really, really sad thing is that these same people who are defending their addiction are so much more likely to die of cancer than those of us who do not smoke. Their lives will be cut short. They're suicide bombers in their own bodies.

I hope that those of you who are still smoking will visit this site and do their best to stop smoking, ODAT.

http://www.nicotine-anonymous.org/

Preaching to people only works on Christians.

173,770 new cases of lung cancer diagnosed in 2004? That is 0.06% of the population. 0.2% of the population of smokers. We should outlaw smoking in public places for this? Fattening foods are a bigger health risk than lung cancer.

alex said:
Preaching to people only works on Christians.

173,770 new cases of lung cancer diagnosed in 2004? That is 0.06% of the population. 0.2% of the population of smokers. We should outlaw smoking in public places for this? Fattening foods are a bigger health risk than lung cancer.

You eating fattening food does not affect MY health at all.

Kelzie said:
No that was actually the first option.

So you believe than that it is better to make nonsmokers stop going to all bars and a large amount of restaurants than it is to make smokers walk 15 ft outside? Seems a little unfair to me.

It is more unfair to impose your will on a business owner. Who are you to tell someone how to run their business? Stop the government babysitting.

Kelzie said:
You eating fattening food does not affect MY health at all.

My smoking does not affect your health either. Go somewhere else. Do you realize that you have choices? Stop the government babysitting.

alex said:
It is more unfair to impose your will on a business owner. Stop the government babysitting.

Says who? You? If the business owner had the same amount of business, do you really think they'd care if smoking wasn't allowed? It is a fact that neither CA nor NY suffered a drop in business when they outlawed smoking. A smoker's personal habit shouldn't force me to make a choice between a higher risk of lung cancer and no longer going out. I'm not telling them to stop smoking. I'm telling them to take it ouside.

alex said:
My smoking does not affect your health either. Go somewhere else. Do you realize that you have choices? Stop the government babysitting.

Saying the same line over and over again doesn't make it any more correct. Yeah, I have a choice. To not go out or to have your smoking affect my health. Thanks for the unreasonable options.

alex said:

That is the same legal theory that business owners used to refuse service to Americans of African descent. The government has a limited interest in the regulation of places that are deemed public access, as restaurants most certainly are.

Kelzie said:
Says who? You? If the business owner had the same amount of business, do you really think they'd care if smoking wasn't allowed? It is a fact that neither CA nor NY suffered a drop in business when they outlawed smoking. A smoker's personal habit shouldn't force me to make a choice between a higher risk of lung cancer and no longer going out. I'm not telling them to stop smoking. I'm telling them to take it ouside.

Exactly who are you to tell someone to go outside? It is not your property, not your decision. The point has nothing to do with losing business. It has to do with the right of the business owner to make their own decisions. Stop the government babysitting.

alex said:

It affects the health of EVERYONE who breathes your smoke, including the cooks, servers and other employees of said restaurant or bar! I wish smokers would just get off their self-rightous high horses and realize that non-smokers have the right to not have to breathe their noxious fumes!

Back
Top Bottom