• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No "smoking gun"

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Trump tweeted:
"Democrats can’t find a Smocking Gun [sic] tying the Trump campaign to Russia...because there was NO COLLUSION."
-- Donald Trump, 10-Dec-2018

Someone needs to tell him and his supporters that there doesn't need to be a "smoking gun" (or a "smocking gun") in order to prove that he, or any other person, committed a criminally culpable act(s). Indeed, in "white collar" crimes, there rarely are "smoking guns."
It'd be nice if prosecutors were to come by a written or taped communication in which Trump and the Russians expressly lay out their plans and intentions, but the odds of that happening are slim-to-none. That no such "smoking gun" exists or exists and cannot be found doesn't mean there isn't a preponderance of evidence that collectively shows the same things as would an arsenal of "smoking guns."

Mueller hasn't disclosed much of anything regardings the Trump campaign's interactions with Russian state actors and agents. Indeed, Mueller has disclosed information only regarding the specific indictments and convictions he's already obtained. That's no surprise seeing as he knows DoJ policy prohibits him from indicting a sitting POTUS; jurisprudentially and investigatively he has no reason to rush to release the case elements pertaining to the nexus of collaboration between Trump and Russia.

Look everyone - lawyer, campaign manager, son, son-in-law all contacted the Russians during the campaign. The only thing lacking is a single 'smocking' gun but it seems obvious from the body of evidence it was likely at Trump's behest. Add to that the obstruction and there's the special counsel's case and it is not flimsy.

On top of that the very real fact of campaign finance violations, now a matter of legal record. This guy should already be impeached.

Hard to believe trump and his goons did not seek out Russian help...IE: colluded with them during the election....Mueller most likely has proof...Just how to bring that information forward.....Soon trump and his brain dead followers will deny it is even a crime....Shameful

Trump tweeted:
"Democrats can’t find a Smocking Gun [sic] tying the Trump campaign to Russia...because there was NO COLLUSION."
-- Donald Trump, 10-Dec-2018

Someone needs to tell him and his supporters that there doesn't need to be a "smoking gun" (or a "smocking gun") in order to prove that he, or any other person, committed a criminally culpable act(s). Indeed, in "white collar" crimes, there rarely are "smoking guns."
It'd be nice if prosecutors were to come by a written or taped communication in which Trump and the Russians expressly lay out their plans and intentions, but the odds of that happening are slim-to-none. That no such "smoking gun" exists or exists and cannot be found doesn't mean there isn't a preponderance of evidence that collectively shows the same things as would an arsenal of "smoking guns."

Mueller hasn't disclosed much of anything regardings the Trump campaign's interactions with Russian state actors and agents. Indeed, Mueller has disclosed information only regarding the specific indictments and convictions he's already obtained. That's no surprise seeing as he knows DoJ policy prohibits him from indicting a sitting POTUS; jurisprudentially and investigatively he has no reason to rush to release the case elements pertaining to the nexus of collaboration between Trump and Russia.

I think the “smocking gun” was deliberate but why is only in Trump’s mind. Really stupid.

Also, why the hell are people ignoring the, you know, actual smoking gun?

Email Exchange said:
Good morning

Emin just called and asked me to contact you with something very interesting.

The Crown prosecutor of Russia met with his father Aras this morning and in their meeting offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father.

This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump - helped along by Aras and Emin.

What do you think is the best way to handle this information and would you be able to speak to Emin about it directly?

I can also send this info to your father via Rhona, but it is ultra sensitive so wanted to send to you first.

Best

Rob Goldstone

Thanks Rob I appreciate that. I am on the road at the moment but perhaps I just speak to Emin first. Seems we have some time and if it's what you say I love it especially later in the summer. Could we do a call first thing next week when I am back?

Best,

Don
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/11/us/politics/donald-trump-jr-email-text.html

Like, how the hell is an agent of a Russian oligarch telling Don Jr. of Russia's support of Don Sr. and Don Jr. agreeing to receive that help not a smoking gun???

It's only not so in the minds of myopically binary thinkers, if "thinker" is even a term aptly applied to such folks.
At this point, anyone who tries to claim there is no evidence of collusion is a blatant liar. Whether they are a shill or just dishonest, it can no longer be said there is no evidence of collusion. It can also no longer be said the President isn't directly being investigated for crimes, crimes which were committed to put him into office.

The Republican Party nominated and supports a criminal for President. They no longer get to be the law and order party. Don Jr. himself posted the smoking gun. It's that simple.

Back
Top Bottom