• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No S.S. increase again!!!!

Red Crow

Holy Crap!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Government Expected to Nix Cost-of-Living Increase for Social Security Again - FoxNews.com

Thanks to the Obama Admin. and their huge spending my parents won't get an increase in their Social Security again this year and Obama can't comprehend why the American people is so upset with him.

I don't know about you but I just can't wait till Nov. to get these kleptocrats out of office!!

Context is important.

From the story,
The cost-of-living adjustments, or COLAs, are automatically set each year by an inflation measure that was adopted by Congress back in the 1970s. Based on inflation so far this year, the trustees who oversee Social Security project there will be no COLA for 2011.

Basically, there is no reason to give a COLA increase.

Government Expected to Nix Cost-of-Living Increase for Social Security Again - FoxNews.com

Thanks to the Obama Admin. and their huge spending my parents won't get an increase in their Social Security again this year and Obama can't comprehend why the American people is so upset with him.

I don't know about you but I just can't wait till Nov. to get these kleptocrats out of office!!

We've got quite enough to blame Obama for, Bippity. No need to make stuff up on 'im.

How exactly would you like Obama to obtain the funds to pay for your parents social security increase? You can either cut your parents medicare funding, cut the defense budget, and/or raise taxes. Which option do you choose?

You're complaining that Obama isn't increasing social security costs? Since when does a conservative support increased social security spending? Not to generalize but I'd expect a topic like this from a more liberal person.

The plundering of Social Security began a long time ago. Almost every government of both parties has participated or stood by while it happened. There's plenty of blame to go around for the broken and nearly bankrupt system.

It's going to take a lot of work to keep SS from breaking the US economy in decades to come, and a lot of hard decisions. No COLA this year is a triviality in comparison.

It's going to take a lot of work to keep SS from breaking the US economy in decades to come, and a lot of hard decisions. No COLA this year is a triviality in comparison.

While I don't disagree that SS could break the US economy, we must understand there are clear benefits to having it. SS has effectively allowed entire generations of Americans to not plan properly for retirement. The byproduct of this is that their consumption rates were abnormally high. This helps the economy. Furthermore, if we get rid of SS or drastically reduce it, then working children would have to support their parents. Like how we see in China. And their savings rates will go up not only to support their parents but their own retirements. That will reduce discretionary spending. Corporate America is going to hate the death of Social Security. When you examine it, a safety net is almost required for a large domestic consumption market as it takes pressure off saving for retirement and emergencies.

But we should have enacted Gore's lockbox idea.

The plundering of Social Security began a long time ago. Almost every government of both parties has participated or stood by while it happened. There's plenty of blame to go around for the broken and nearly bankrupt system.

It's really not the plundering. It's the fact that the system is based upon actuarial fantasy. I'm looking at Tom's latest Social Security Account Statement. Here's the deal:

He and his employers have paid a total of $27,841 into the Social Security system.
At his age 66, he will begin to collect $2,020 per month. His life expectancy at age 66 is 12.8 years. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus08.pdf#026
Within 14 months he will have collected every nickle put into the system on his behalf.
If he lives the 12.8 years the averages predict, he will have collected $310,272.

Fund that on $27,841 in contributions!!!

Quit complainin' about the plundering and start complaining about THAT.

You're complaining that Obama isn't increasing social security costs? Since when does a conservative support increased social security spending? Not to generalize but I'd expect a topic like this from a more liberal person.

There's a (D) next to his name, therefore any action he takes is bad.

If a Rep. did it, the liberals would be outraged.

I'm a Conservative, but if inflation called for a raise, I'd be complaining. Since it doesn't, I don't have a problem.
Just because Conservatives are against social programs, doesn't mean they want seniors screwed out of what they were promised.

Liberals tend not be be against government spending, so this is not relevant.

I'm a Conservative, but if inflation called for a raise, I'd be complaining. Since it doesn't, I don't have a problem.
Just because Conservatives are against social programs, doesn't mean they want seniors screwed out of what they were promised.

If SS cuts are out, where would you cut?

Last edited:

I got an idea, let's make an unfounded generalization based on biased perception to deflect from some one on our side screwing up...

actually just decreasing the growth in benefits might go a long way towards lessening the oncoming fiscal train. i thnk margaret thatcher did something similar, saving much of Britains' entitlements by tying their growth to inflation rather than cost-of-living.

its not just SS and medicare. my wife works for the state. she gets no COLA for the next 2 or 3 years.

So you think we should raise SS spending then.

if you work you should get a COLA that's what im saying. all of us. including SS recipients who live on a limited income

so this professed "conservative" is whining because his folks will not receive increased federal payments even tho there is no basis to justify an increase
and this is attributed as the reason people are in opposition to Obama, for not authorizing unjustifiable federal expenditures
and the "kleptocrats" refuse to borrow more money to fund an undeserved increase of federal outlays
gotta love this display of economic ignorance

sure. buy gas??? food at the store??? what planet are YOU living on?? christ

Actually, compared to last year, prices are pretty close to the same. That is why there is no COLA this year, because prices are pretty much the same overall.

By the way, did you know that the last SS COLA(2009) was the largest in 27 years, and well over the actual cost of living increase(less than 1 % increase in CPI, 5.9 % COLA)? Source: FACT CHECK: How much pain from COLA freeze? - Yahoo! News

sure. buy gas??? food at the store??? what planet are YOU living on?? christ

Considering the 5.2% increase (or something like that) compared with actual inflation of 1%, they should actually cut SS benefits. Pace SS with inflation. If deflation occurs, then SS should see a reduction in benefits.

It is your fault you are relying upon SS. SS was never meant to be the primary source of retirement income.

Back
Top Bottom