• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

No Respect for the Younger Generation

-Demosthenes- said:
:D

The point is that older people are expected to be respected whether they earn it or not, merely because of the fact that they are older. I don't want built in respect, I just want to be treated as a normal person (as opposed to the messed up trouble maker stereotype that nearly all teens are given).
Sounds like you are doing some stereotyping yourself. Just because SOME older people have treated you with less respect than you think you deserve is no indication that all of us old farts will do it.
MOST older people will have earned their respect, SOME will not.
If you survive long enough, you will be afforded a certain amount of respect based on that alone.
But it sounds like we old farts have to justify to you the respect we are due before you give it. Respect is a lot like smiling. You smile at people, and they will usually smile back. (Disregard the grouchies among us)
(sarcasm on)
Have I explained it well enough yet, you scaggly haired, tattooed, body pierced, fatboy pants hanging off your ass with underwear showing young punk?:smile:
(sarcasm off)

jallman said:
Leave it to a CON to try and turn a discussion about the respect issues youth face into a partisan mudslinging contest. Typical.

O c'mon I was being sarcastic. :lol: Laugh a little will ya?

galenrox said:
Wait, so all you have to do is not die to gain respect? The longer you make it without dying the more respect you get? What about not dying in situations where it would've been more likely for you to die? Like, I'm a former drug addict, and thus there were many situations where I should've died, yet I didn't (or did I?), so does that earn respect?
I think basing respect off of your ability to not die is a little weird, but whatever floats your boat dude.:smile:
When you get old, you will understand. and congratulations of being a "former" addict. That affords you more respect than someone who still is a drug addict, for sure.
Not to mention that quitting drugs is a step in the right direction toward getting old.
BTW, something a friend has on his coffee cup that might scare you a bit, it was "Old age ain't no place for sissies". You will understand that when you get old as well.:mrgreen:

HTColeman said:
I somewhat disagree, I would venture to say that if drugs and such were as equally available to past generation, we would have the same problem with drugs, but thats just my opinion. And as far as sex, wasn't the 70s known as the sexual revolution. Every new generation has its problems, that is not saying the generation is worse than the last, it is just that a new generation is full of teenagers and young adults, who naturally make mistakes because we are learning about life and how we want to go about it.

It seems to me that with every new generation, the older generation woes the world, and it is somewhat understandable. The newer generation is going to do things differently than the older generation, always has, always will. Since everybody naturally thinks that they are right, each generation is going to have a problem when another generation of ideas come along, because it is not "their" way. When my generation gets older, we will talk about the next generation, and so forth.

Oh crap, I forgot to say what I disagree with, we aren't getting married older and starting a family because there are more individual activities available to more people, more people go to college than before. Our generation wants to fulfill its own personal dreams before we 'settle down', and since life span increases, we can do that. I wouldn't deem that irresponsible just a different focus of values.

Drugs and such were not only equally available (I was a child of the 60's and 70's), they were cheap. Hash, pot, speed, acid, whatever you wanted, it was more than likely you could get it within an hour of seeking it out.
Sex? Just in my graduating class of 176 alone, we had 4 girls with babies, one expecting and several other 'moms' in the school (approx 800 students).
A lot of the boys went into the military; college education was something you didn't get unless your grades were excellent or damn close. Now if you don't go to college, you're thought to be a loser, which just isn't so. We still need mechanics, machinists, carpenters, plumbers and electricians.
Marriage and kids at a later age are NOT bad things and, while my parents' generation got married mostly by the time they were 21 ( and we oldsters didn't turn out badly), their world was and is smaller-it's what was expected.
Sometimes, it's not a lack of respect that a younger one sees, but pangs of jealousy. One should never be too quick to judge why another reacts, but instead take it in stride, accept that it might be any one of dozens of reasons and none having to do with being consciously disrespectful.

From what I see in my school, many kids ARE rude and nasty, so the teachers get fed up and burned out. I am one of the nice and respectful students, and so are my friends, I have found that our teachers tend to have more respect for us and have more patience. So for those of you who said you need to earn respect I agree a bit. However, i have met adults who are not very respectful or nice to me and i find this causes me to do the same. So it's the chicken and egg question.

just my 2 cents

Aurora151989 said:
From what I see in my school, many kids ARE rude and nasty, so the teachers get fed up and burned out. I am one of the nice and respectful students, and so are my friends, I have found that our teachers tend to have more respect for us and have more patience. So for those of you who said you need to earn respect I agree a bit. However, i have met adults who are not very respectful or nice to me and i find this causes me to do the same. So it's the chicken and egg question.

just my 2 cents

When an older person is being rude to you, just say "how rude, didn't your parents teach you any better than that?".
That should raise their blood pressure about 20 points.:lol:

Aurora151989 said:

just my 2 cents

Many kids are rude and nasty, but then again, many people are rude and nasty. Younger people are just inexperienced (obviously) and immature (the way nature intended it). But yeah, you give respect, you get respect, bottom line. But, just to be an ass, who should give respect first? I know, I know, younger people are always supposed to...according to the older generation, but I have to say they might be a little bias. IMHO, you should be respectful to everyone at first, not based on age or anything, just b/c they are people. Then if they aren't respectful back, go from there.

Back
Top Bottom