• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No question why to police failed to go in right away to stop the shooter in Uvalde

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It was really, justifiable fear of what they would run into trying to storm the room. If the kid had a hand gun, they probably would have done so, but the AR15 made it very possible that they would be killed or injured attempting to rush the killer. Most of the cops wore vest, but without plates. Such vest would probably not stopped the bullets for the AR15. When they finally went in it was with a shield that the AR15 could not penetrate. This is why cops in this and other such situations are afraid to rush killers who are armed with military style weapons. I have seen what an M16 does to flesh and even a hit in an unprotected arm or leg can mean death.

So ifshortsighted. This weapon frightens off the Police, making them available to everyone who wants one seems a tad shortsighted.

It was really, justifiable fear of what they would run into trying to storm the room. If the kid had a hand gun, they probably would have done so, but the AR15 made it very possible that they would be killed or injured attempting to rush the killer. Most of the cops wore vest, but without plates. Such vest would probably not stopped the bullets for the AR15. When they finally went in it was with a shield that the AR15 could not penetrate. This is why cops in this and other such situations are afraid to rush killers who are armed with military style weapons. I have seen what an M16 does to flesh and even a hit in an unprotected arm or leg can mean death.
****in cowards left those kids to die because they were scared.

Cops waited for backup while kids were being killed inside. And they kept the parents from going in to save their own kids. Shameful performance from the police all around.

Cops waited for backup while kids were being killed inside. And they kept the parents from going in to save their own kids. Shameful performance from the police all around.
Cops wouldnt stop me from saving my kid.

Return fire greatly reduces the aim of an 18 year old.

So ifshortsighted. This weapon frightens off the Police, making them available to everyone who wants one seems a tad shortsighted.
The data showed that mass shootings increased by 300% when we let the ban on assault rifles expire. It's time we all admit that was a huge mistake (W. Bush and republicans) and let's go back to a safer time.

Very bad timing on this. About the time you posted this the police admitted they screwed up and should have immediately gone in.

You know its not military style weapons that go through a normal vest. Its all rifle rounds that go through it. So any hunting rifle will have the same effect on cops. So your prescription to fix the issue must take this into account.

You know its not military style weapons that go through a normal vest. Its all rifle rounds that go through it. So any hunting rifle will have the same effect on cops. So your prescription to fix the issue must take this into account.
Can you fire 30 rounds in 30 seconds from an ordinary hunting rifle? Honestly, I don't know.

Can you fire 30 rounds in 30 seconds from an ordinary hunting rifle? Honestly, I don't know.
Any semi automatic weapon can fire rounds basically as fast as you can pull the trigger, until the magazine empties.

The data showed that mass shootings increased by 300% when we let the ban on assault rifles expire. It's time we all admit that was a huge mistake (W. Bush and republicans) and let's go back to a safer time.
Car deaths greatly increased after the model t.

Those police also had ARs and there were way more of them. There is literally zero excuse.

Most hunting rifles are heavy and have smaller clips and are harder to replace when empty. Plus, the shooter needs to be macho and a hunting rifle just does nto make it.

Defund the police. ****ing ******s

Yes. My 308 rifle which is one of the most common for deer and elk, is a semi auto rifle with a detachable magazine. It fires just as fast as my AR15 and AK47. And ballisticlly speaking the 308 is more devastating.

Most hunting rifles are heavy and have smaller clips and are harder to replace when empty. Plus, the shooter needs to be macho and a hunting rifle just does nto make it.
Thats not true. We are not talking about your grandfathers hunting rifle anymore. Is the same clips/magazine size, it replaces when empty just as fast.
You are right that its more heavier, but thats the case with any rifle usually, The bigger the bullet the heavier the gun. My AR is heavier then my 22, My AK is heavier then my AR, my 308 is heavier then my AK, and so on.
On the macho thing, there has been a lot of shooters using shot guns and a shotgun kicks a lot more then rifles.

one of these days some mass shooter is gonna set up a trap/ambush on the cops.

Oh FFS. Lots of men and women have engaged in combat without armor. Ask a Ukrainian if they'd sit around and wait until they got a better vest before fightingthe Russians that are blowing their kids up.

Being afraid was justified. Not going in was not justified.

Police officers are instructed to immediately engage shooters in schools. The on scene commander failed to do his duty.

Colonel Steven McCraw, director of the Texas Department of Public Safety;

“From the benefit of hindsight, where I’m sitting now, of course it was not the right decision,” McCraw said. “It was the wrong decision, period. There's no excuse for that.”

“When it comes to an active shooter, you don't have to wait on tactical gear, plain and simple,” he said.

The on scene commander should, at a bare minimum, be fired. Not allowed to quietly retire. Fired. As should any other individual/s that didn’t do their sworn duty.

Is "mistake" really the right word when people Republicans did the wrong thing for corrupt reasons and what was expected resulted? If Republicans repealed the ACA and 25 million lost health insurance, would you then point out how they were hurt and say 'that was a mistake, now that we see they lost insurance we should restore the ACA'? It isn't like repealing the ban was really a 'good faith' experiment to increase public safety.

Very bad timing on this. About the time you posted this the police admitted they screwed up and should have immediately gone in.
I didn't see where the police who made that choice said that, I saw where a leader in a different department said he felt it was a mistake by the School officer who was in charge and made that choice, but added that he wasn't there.

The person who was in charge and decided the police response has the job "police chief" at the school, but reports said that that the 'department' had four police officers - him, one detective, and two officers. So "Chief" seems like a pretty big title.

Back
Top Bottom