• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No Photos in a Federal Building. What?

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
What? I was at the post office today and went to take a picture of my tracking number. The man behind the counter wouldn't let Me. So instead I typed it in to my phone. But seriously. What? I can't take a picture? Can anyone please share some thoughts on this? Doesn't that seem a little...hinky? Violation of some kind of free information?

What? I was at the post office today and went to take a picture of my tracking number. The man behind the counter wouldn't let Me. So instead I typed it in to my phone. But seriously. What? I can't take a picture? Can anyone please share some thoughts on this? Doesn't that seem a little...hinky? Violation of some kind of free information?

How was he planning to stop you? Just tell them to **** off and take the picture anyways

Did you hit send when you typed the tracking number into your phone? I suspect the federal employee was concerned with the possibility of a cell phone detonating a bomb on the premises.

Is there anything that's too petty for a right winger to whine about?

So that is your response? You are completely ok with arbitrary rules on your life that cannot be justified. Sacrifice your rights in the name of worship to the mighty government?

Is there no amount of government foot licking the left wing lunatics won't cave to? How pathetic.

How was he planning to stop you? Just tell them to **** off and take the picture anyways

Armed security because the federal government and their rules are more important than my life. At least that is what the left believes.

I'm guessing it might be seen as a security issue.

Dept. of Homeland Security rule I'm guessing.

As far as the cons here complaining about their 'freedoms'. Stop defending the Patriot Act, Homeland security, the NSA, etc. Then people might pay attention to you complaints about 'freedoms' and rights. You guys brought this kind of stuff on yourself.

Did you hit send when you typed the tracking number into your phone? I suspect the federal employee was concerned with the possibility of a cell phone detonating a bomb on the premises.

Must have been. He was an old guy with a ponytail and a union member. So he probably was paranoid that something I did would compromise his pension. God I'm sick of big government. Just as sick as I am of large corporations.

Armed security because the federal government and their rules are more important than my life. At least that is what the left believes.

Maybe I haven't been going into the right post offices but the ones I have been in don't have armed gaurds.

Think about the kind of installations which are federal buildings and get back to me.

Here's a hint: there was this big deal called the Cold War a while back, and this country called the Soviet Union which employed a number of very efficient intelligence agencies which would love to photograph all sorts of interesting info.

Maybe I haven't been going into the right post offices but the ones I have been in don't have armed gaurds.

The bigger ones do. Not the small satellites. I just happened to need to send a package and it had to go through a big one.

I know that if i have choice I use a private company though.

It is a very legitimate question. The only thing petty was your response.

You pose an interesting response: why is it considered whining to ask why this is a necessary thing to stop me from an otherwise casual and acceptable behavior?

Must have been. He was an old guy with a ponytail and a union member. So he probably was paranoid that something I did would compromise his pension. God I'm sick of big government. Just as sick as I am of large corporations.
You're probably sick of the TSA causing a slowdown at check in of you local favorite airport for the same reason. The country is under attack.

You're probably sick of the TSA causing a slowdown at check in of you local favorite airport for the same reason. The country is under attack.

Airports? No. Legitimate concern.

A cell phone picture of my tracking number? Illegitimate.

Hell.

A photo of the public area of a post office with high foot traffic on a regular basis? Illegitimate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airports? No. Legitimate concern.

A cell phone picture of my tracking number? Illegitimate.

Hell.

A photo of the public area of a post office with high foot traffic on a regular basis? Illegitimate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you concerned that our country is under attack?

I say take the pictures you want. If they kick you out or demand you delete them, entirely up to you to decide how far you want to take it. But for them to make a major issue of it means putting them on the wrong side of the press.

I'm guessing it might be seen as a security issue.

Dept. of Homeland Security rule I'm guessing.

As far as the cons here complaining about their 'freedoms'. Stop defending the Patriot Act, Homeland security, the NSA, etc. Then people might pay attention to you complaints about 'freedoms' and rights. You guys brought this kind of stuff on yourself.

Not only did they bring it on themselves but there was nary a complaint when GW Bush grew Govt. more than any other modern President. You reap what you sow.

There was probably a regulation against it. And the dude was merely doing his job, long hair, bad teeth, zits and all.

Why is there such a reg? Probably "No photography". Today's hi rez cameras can capture a lot more that Miss Muffet's butt. Package labels, addresses, etc.

But if I were him, I'd just ignore it as "no harm, no foul".

I can tell you the reasoning behind it. The more photographs of the inside of a federal building that are floating around out there the easier it is for a terrorist to plan an attack. Justified or not, that is the reasoning.

Are you concerned that our country is under attack?

Our country is no more under attack than any other western power. There is security and then there is paranoia. There will ALWAYS be criminals.

I can tell you the reasoning behind it. The more photographs of the inside of a federal building that are floating around out there the easier it is for a terrorist to plan an attack. Justified or not, that is the reasoning.

Which is silly. We are talking about an era when every cell phone had a camera. You can google the pictures. We are talking about an area that is impossible to defend for 1 reason: there are many.

Fear is not a good reason to restrict people's freedom to live their lives.

Section 5(i)
Photographs for news, advertising, or commercial purposes. Except as prohibited by official signs or the directions of security force personnel or other authorized personnel, or a Federal court order or rule, photographs for news purposes may be taken in entrances, lobbies, foyers, corridors, or auditoriums when used for public meetings. Other photographs may be taken only with the permission of the local postmaster or installation head.
39 CFR 232.1 - Conduct on postal property. - Regulations - VLEX 19777182

Which is silly. We are talking about an era when every cell phone had a camera. You can google the pictures. We are talking about an area that is impossible to defend for 1 reason: there are many.

Fear is not a good reason to restrict people's freedom to live their lives.

I don't disagree. As for the whole camera phone thing? True, but regulations rarely keep up with the technology.

Back
Top Bottom