• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No. of no-show airport security screeners soars in shutdown

zimmer

Educating the Ignorant
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The number of airport security screeners failing to show up for work around the country is soaring as the partial government shutdown goes into its fourth week.

No-shows among screeners jumped Sunday and again Monday, when the Transportation Security Administration reported a national absence rate of 7.6 percent compared with 3.2 percent on a comparable day a year ago. Monday marked the first business day after screeners did not receive a paycheck for the first time since the shutdown began.

https://apnews.com/a50e00cb683b4b9697c1c957bae39cd2

This is why it was retarded to have the TSA be government employees. Private contractors can be fired.

Added to his spending, this was another Bush43 ****-up.

This is why it was retarded to have the TSA be government employees. Private contractors can be fired.

Since federal employees get 4 hours of sick leave every two weeks (80 hours of scheduled work) that allows for a 5% potential sick leave usage rate. Since the normal rate is below that (at 3.2%) I assume that more folks are using (abusing?) their accrued sick leave. They may be doing this to earn some currently spendable income while their normal pay is being delayed.

Absolutely disgusting that these TSA employees are "striking."

They earn, on average, $40,000 a year.

They should be grateful for having that job. They probably could not qualify for most jobs in the private sector.

They are giving the middle finger to their employers: The American people.

If it had been private and they had not been paid, then they could just not show up.

The fact that it is a government job, means that they are slaves at the moment because they are being forced to work with no pay.

This is why it was retarded to have the TSA be government employees. Private contractors can be fired. Added to his spending, this was another Bush43 ****-up.

This is why it's retarded to have a President hold the government hostage.... :roll:

The TSA is government to force them to work even without pay. What would firing the agents do? Create a more secure Nation??? (Remember tRump is alllll about security)

As a rule of thumb, if you have ANY work experience, is private contractors cost MORE than 'regular' employees.... :peace

Absolutely disgusting that these TSA employees are "striking."

They earn, on average, $40,000 a year.

They should be grateful for having that job. They probably could not qualify for most jobs in the private sector.

They are giving the middle finger to their employers: The American people.

Today I learned that not showing up for a job you're not being paid for is "striking". I guess I'm "striking" with the LA Lakers because they're not paying me and I'm not showing up.

The world runs on money and these poor middle class workers need money to keep the lights on. They're likely working a second job that actually pays. Say thanks Donald.

Today I learned that not showing up for a job you're not being paid for is "striking". I guess I'm "striking" with the LA Lakers because they're not paying me and I'm not showing up.

The world runs on money and these poor middle class workers need money to keep the lights on. They're likely working a second job that actually pays. Say thanks Donald.

That is my assumption as well. At the very least, they save on commuting (and possibly childcare) costs by simply staying home.

Since my pay (working as self-employed handyman) is often delayed (I generally bill and get paid only after the entire job is complete) and I am frequently using my own money to buy materials, I keep at least $3K in the bank to ensure that my bills can be paid (between job completions). Many folks that have "regular" jobs do not save anything and thus live paycheck to paycheck with otherwise insufficient means to pay even one month's living expenses.

Sounds like it's pretty common for government workers to work secondary jobs.
Austin City workers will have new rules about disclosing 'secondary jobs' this Spring - Story | KTBC

if the TSA is unfunded, what would be its source of monies to pay contractors/contractor employees?

People tend to show up for work more when you pay them.

If it had been private and they had not been paid, then they could just not show up.

The fact that it is a government job, means that they are slaves at the moment because they are being forced to work with no pay.

They should speak with the Democrat leadership about their vacationing in Puerto Rico, and their not wanting to spend 1/10th of 1% of the annual budget on protecting the border as they said was necessary only a few years ago.

Meanwhile, Americans spend 31-times the amount on illegal invaders... every year.

Trump was elected largely on the wall, and undoing the failure called Obamanomics.

This is why it's retarded to have a President hold the government hostage.... :roll:

The TSA is government to force them to work even without pay. What would firing the agents do? Create a more secure Nation??? (Remember tRump is alllll about security)

As a rule of thumb, if you have ANY work experience, is private contractors cost MORE than 'regular' employees.... :peace

It is time to ask what security TSA really provides.

It is possible to manufacture quite lethal weapons, including various types of bombs from stuff you can buy on the secure side of any major airport terminal. It is also quite possible to manufacture the weapons from these materials on the plane in the lav.
It is possible for 911 to happen again, exactly as before, since the weapons didn't go through security (they were delivered by the catering truck).

Why hasn't it?

Terrorists and other hijackers know that they don't stand a chance now. Passengers and crews are now fully aware that a hijacking isn't just a trip to Cuba anymore. A hundred or so people against three or four that are stupid enough and proclaim they are hijacking an airplane is a going to be a pretty predictable result. The hijackers will likely not survive.

Say a gun is smuggled aboard an aircraft. Makes no difference. Only a few passengers will get shot, the rest will roll over the hijacker before anymore shots are fired. The effect of a bullet passing through the window of a jet aircraft at altitude? Nothing. The masks probably won't even drop. The pressurization system is easily capable of compensating for the hole, even if the entire window is blown out. Mostly it's just windy and cold near the open window. Windows have blown out before on pressurized aircraft before, you see. In such an event, the automatic system would quite probably fail to drop the masks. The pilot (actually the copilot) would have to override to drop the masks.

TSA has actually caused accidents with injuries. We had one happen at SeaTac a few years ago.

TSA searches you, your luggage, makes you take your shoes off, accepts bribes to not search you as thoroughly, and despite all this, keep missing people accidentally carrying a concealed gun on board the aircraft. Oops!

They slow people down, they cost money to operate, and they don't provide any real security. They are also a target for terrorism. People are collecting there. They can be terrorized there just as well as on any aircraft. They really are nothing more than security theater.

People tend to show up for work more when you pay them.

Quite true. There is no requirement, however, that security checks can't be performed by locally funded officers. Why must federal inspectors be used?

Quite true. There is no requirement, however, that security checks can't be performed by locally funded officers. Why must federal inspectors be used?

Ask the TSA.

Yup...Trump demands a wall which he insists will keep us safe.... yet quickly screws over there very people charged with keeping us safe. Makes no sense.

Well of course all the while ignoring the fact that most people who are in this country illegally come through ports of entry LEGALLY......

TSA in and of itself is stupid. It's not providing much other than increased lines and times spent at the airport. We should re-evaluate the whole of the TSA and the idiotic restrictions we currently have.

Maybe McConnell should allow the House's bill to reopen the government to a vote.

They should speak with the Democrat leadership about their vacationing in Puerto Rico, and their not wanting to spend 1/10th of 1% of the annual budget on protecting the border as they said was necessary only a few years ago.

Meanwhile, Americans spend 31-times the amount on illegal invaders... every year.

Trump was elected largely on the wall, and undoing the failure called Obamanomics.

So you ignore fully what I posted.. instead you attack attack attack and fail at that as well! The Dems are holding a conference in Puerto Rico and hence contribution much needed funds to the island... an island that Trump wants to remove funds from to pay for his useless wall, and an island where Trump and his minions have the deaths of thousands on their hands.

Back
Top Bottom