• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NO,,not the coffee maker..

woodsman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This will definitely be a vent and whine post, wow, I’m pissed.

Did you ever have a family member outright disrespect you and your property? I’ll try to explain, Normally this time of year I would be staying at my off-grid mountain cabin but I have just to much going on currently. A few years ago I got fed up with marauding extended family members using my gear, It would take me hours to collect It all from some eight cabins in the area, all family owned.

So, I purchased two wooden footlockers and started packing and locking gadgets and gear away. At one time I was a purist with the off-grid living but I have gotten to a point in my life that I want some convince. I also enjoy researching gadgets and testing them in a real life situation. It’s also a pain to pack things in each trip, It’s some ten miles from any pavement so ether a decent 4wd or ATV is a must.

The call came in this morning at 7:30am from my oldest son, one of the two people I trust to use my gear and gadgets, “The crazy lady trashed your gear” this crazy person would be my cousin. Typically she is only up there when I am and I can manage the manic madness. Things missing or broken, Two very expensive lanterns, two battery operated cooling fans. My C Crane Radio and my custom made solar generator was disassembled to get at the deep cell batteries inside, my son found one battery in a boat half sunk because it wasn’t put away properly and the other at a distant cabin along with a new in the box digital inverter that I haven’t even had the chance to use or test yet. One of a matching pair of 100watt portable solar panels, cracked and left out. But the real insult is the least expensive item ( Note the above items are worth well over $1000) was my prized propane fired Colman drip coffee maker, It’s ruined and melted from being left on to long after the coffee was brewed. Messing with my coffee is just cruel and she knows how particular I am about my gear, why because when your this far off the beaten path just going for batteries or fuel is a three to four hour ordeal. If any are wondering how this crazy lady managed to get into my locked boxes, well two years ago I had to give her the combo as an emergency, how she remembered I have no clue.

I guess it's better than bears.

Even though she's blood, I'd small claims her.

And change all the locks if you can't get her to stop coming on your property.

Did you ever have a family member outright disrespect you and your property? I’ll try to explain, Normally this time of year I would be staying at my off-grid mountain cabin but I have just to much going on currently. A few years ago I got fed up with marauding extended family members using my gear, It would take me hours to collect It all from some eight cabins in the area, all family owned.

So, I purchased two wooden footlockers and started packing and locking gadgets and gear away. At one time I was a purist with the off-grid living but I have gotten to a point in my life that I want some convince. I also enjoy researching gadgets and testing them in a real life situation. It’s also a pain to pack things in each trip, It’s some ten miles from any pavement so ether a decent 4wd or ATV is a must.

The call came in this morning at 7:30am from my oldest son, one of the two people I trust to use my gear and gadgets, “The crazy lady trashed your gear” this crazy person would be my cousin. Typically she is only up there when I am and I can manage the manic madness. Things missing or broken, Two very expensive lanterns, two battery operated cooling fans. My C Crane Radio and my custom made solar generator was disassembled to get at the deep cell batteries inside, my son found one battery in a boat half sunk because it wasn’t put away properly and the other at a distant cabin along with a new in the box digital inverter that I haven’t even had the chance to use or test yet. One of a matching pair of 100watt portable solar panels, cracked and left out. But the real insult is the least expensive item ( Note the above items are worth well over $1000) was my prized propane fired Colman drip coffee maker, It’s ruined and melted from being left on to long after the coffee was brewed. Messing with my coffee is just cruel and she knows how particular I am about my gear, why because when your this far off the beaten path just going for batteries or fuel is a three to four hour ordeal. If any are wondering how this crazy lady managed to get into my locked boxes, well two years ago I had to give her the combo as an emergency, how she remembered I have no clue.

Sometimes, extended family members can make you wonder - "Would a life sentence really be that bad?"

Definitely better than bears. Or raccoons. Or skunks. Unless she **** on the cabin floor. Then its worse. Except for the skunks. Definitely better than skunks.

WOW :shock:

sorry for the loss of all of your equipment and for the invasion into your personal space

I don't know if she is crazy or just lazy but it really is inexcusable

what is your reaction to her going to be?

Is the cabin and land your personal property or is it jointly owned?

I'd cut her off. Prolly somewhere just above the knees. The stuff, a shame though that is, is replaceable. Her lack of respect will probably endure, or so it seems, and that is the greater offense.

Even though she's blood, I'd small claims her.

And change all the locks if you can't get her to stop coming on your property.

We don’t do that, and their would be no point, you can’t get blood from rocks. I am working on my vendetta though.

I had one of those pots and thought it took entirely too long. I roast my own beans and use French press. If I'm staying the night away from home, grounds and press are packed in my bag. A far superior cup.

Is the cabin and land your personal property or is it jointly owned?

Yes, all privately owned and can be very remote depending on what part of the property you are on.

We don’t do that, and their would be no point, you can’t get blood from rocks. I am working on my vendetta though.

Any chance she has a cabin with curtain rods, hollow type?

I had one of those pots and thought it took entirely too long. I roast my own beans and use French press. If I'm staying the night away from home, grounds and press are packed in my bag. A far superior cup.
I disagree, I have a collection of french presses and old school percolators. Yes, the Colman can be slow but once going it runs hot and brews better than my home machine.

The trick is, is to set it up the night before with water and filter. You then add in the fresh coffee and let it go in the morning as you awake. By the time your washed up and brushed your teeth the first cups are ready. Cleanup is also simple, just toss the filter and go with the next day. Unlike a french press you don’t need to go crazy with rinsing it with water, I just dry wipe the pot and move on.

For an entire year, mush dog crap into the intake vents in her vehicle, if she owns one?

I dunno...

Family or not, someone deliberately did that to my stuff, they aren't coming anywhere near it again...and they're replacing it.

I disagree, I have a collection of french presses and old school percolators. Yes, the Colman can be slow but once going it runs hot and brews better than my home machine.

The trick is, is to set it up the night before with water and filter. You then add in the fresh coffee and let it go in the morning as you awake. By the time your washed up and brushed your teeth the first cups are ready. Cleanup is also simple, just toss the filter and go with the next day. Unlike a french press you don’t need to go crazy with rinsing it with water, I just dry wipe the pot and move on.

If I still have mine I'll give it to you. I'll look tonight.

Don’t bring a french press, bring a real coffee maker.

Don’t bring a french press, bring a real coffee maker.

That is the one I had or still have. It made coffee but like I said it was pretty slow. And the Achilles heel is you have to turn it off when it runs out of water, fine if only you operate it, but anyone else will probably burn it up if they don't know. And a French press can't make coffee better, it just makes it less bad I guess. My clan has always been hard core coffee hounds and since I began roasting my own beans we have become downright snobs about it. In the coffee snob world green coffee keeps along time but once roasted it starts to degrade after a week. Unless you know a roaster you probably aren't going to find grounds under a week old.
Once you get to my level of coffee snobbishness, paper filters become sacrilege.
We are pretty strung out on this wet processed arabica grown in Nicaragua that I give 30 seconds of second crack. Now that's a fine cup.

Last edited:

I got like all the off grid camping stuff for the basics, but seriously 1k for a coffee maker, I just use a 6 dollar walmart percolator, or make cowboy coffee with a small pot, when the water boils the grounds fall tothe bottom, no filtration needed.

I got like all the off grid camping stuff for the basics, but seriously 1k for a coffee maker, I just use a 6 dollar walmart percolator, or make cowboy coffee with a small pot, when the water boils the grounds fall tothe bottom, no filtration needed.

The coffee maker isn’t worth that much, all the other stuff was. I think you can purchase the Coffee make for $79

The coffee maker isn’t worth that much, all the other stuff was. I think you can purchase the Coffee make for $79

Yeah I went back over it and realized I misread the 1k total as 1k for the coffee maker. Still an awefully expensive coffee maker, have you thought of buying a 7 dollar walmart percolator and a bunch of walmart off brand outdoor gear, and putting it in a decoy chest while hiding the good stuff elsewhere?

Wheres your cabin? I grew up just across the line in Rumford Me.

Back
Top Bottom