• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No more sliced cheese, white rice under proposed Iowa SNAP bill

I object to a federal government that exceeds its authority under the US Constitution. The federal government has absolutely no business involving itself in any social spending of any kind. The US Constitution never granted the federal government that authority. Which makes social spending exclusively a State power.

The current federal government is criminal, and both political parties violate the US Constitution on a daily basis by funding these unconstitutional powers that they usurped from the States.

You can object all you want to but it isn't unconstitutional no matter how much you want it to be. As for saying the current federal government is criminal, what federal/state statute SPECIFICALLY are they violating? Your comments read just like an old bitter man "Get off my lawn" bit.

Because they know it would be political suicide.

How? If the SCOTUS ended RvW, what makes you think it would be political suicide for the SCTOUS to end SNAP if it were REALLY unconstitutional?

Personally I'm glad the right is finally showing their true colors that they are against the poor, against women, against LGBTQ community and against races other than white. It will be easier to get them out of office.

Not for anything, but it’s up to the Iowa constituents to hold these state reps accountable.

Who is target audience of legislation like this? Like who gets pumped to get out the vote because SNAP got cut.

How? If the SCOTUS ended RvW, what makes you think it would be political suicide for the SCTOUS to end SNAP if it were REALLY unconstitutional?

Personally I'm glad the right is finally showing their true colors that they are against the poor, against women, against LGBTQ community and against races other than white. It will be easier to get them out of office.
Oh, give them time.

They’re really showing their true colors. I can’t imagine it will play out well.

Apparently you don’t either

Because it Is. If you’re fat that’s what causes heart problems in most cases. It’s not salt

So you mean the vast majority of the US population isn’t effected by sodium? Ok. Thanks for the admission
You've been shown that high salt intake causes hypertension, and salt reduction lowers hypertension.

Telling people what they have to eat is treating them like children. The government is doing it to control people not help them learn to be responsible. Responsibility is not taught by removing choice but rather by helping them learn to make good choices.
Beggars can’t be choosers. When the poors are all grown up and pay for their own food and health insurance/medical care then they can eat whatever they want. And they should be grateful that the United States isn’t like so many countries that let people starve to death.

You've been shown that high salt intake causes hypertension, and salt reduction lowers hypertension.
No, people keep claiming this than keep citing bad data. Controlled studies which I have presented do not show either of these

No, people keep claiming this than keep citing bad data.
Nope, by citing peer reviewed studies, and literally the entire medical community.
Controlled studies which I have presented do not show either of these
You have not shown any studies which counter the peer reviewed studies you've been given.

It really just comes down to has more credibility. The entire medical community, backed by evidence and dozens and dozens of peer reviewed evidence, or a right wing nutjob on an anonymous internet forum lol

No, people keep claiming this than keep citing bad data. Controlled studies which I have presented do not show either of these
You showed one study (well, a Time magazine article on the study) and it showed in a bunch of French men that self reported sodium intake wasnt associated with BP, in contradiction to dozens of other, better, papers.

Who is target audience of legislation like this? Like who gets pumped to get out the vote because SNAP got cut.
It didn't get cut, it got aligned with the WIC food program. Now there is one set of rules

Nope, by citing peer reviewed studies, and literally the entire medical community.
You haven’t don’t that. Someone else made a citation then denied his citation was a study and refused to explain how it was conducted
You have not shown any studies which counter the peer reviewed studies you've been given.

It really just comes down to has more credibility. The entire medical community,
The entire medical community does not say salt is bad for you, increasing segments have moved away from this as evidence has mounted it’s not true
backed by evidence and dozens and dozens of peer reviewed evidence, or a right wing nutjob on an anonymous internet forum lol
I cited several peer reviewed studies that show the fact salt is not bad

You haven’t don’t that. Someone else made a citation then denied his citation was a study and refused to explain how it was conducted
I gave you 5 separate peer reviewed studies lol.
The entire medical community does not say salt is bad for you, increasing segments have moved away from this as evidence has mounted it’s not true
No, the entire medical community says too much salt leads to hypertension, and if you have hypertension they recommend reducing your salt intake.
I cited several peer reviewed studies that show the fact salt is not bad
You have cited NO studies. You cited an article, which didn't support your claim lol.

So again, who to believe? Dozens of peer reviewed studies, along with the entire medical community, or a RWNJ on an anonymous internet forum?

I gave you 5 separate peer reviewed studies lol.
So what? Peer review is not a guarantee of accuracy
No, the entire medical community says too much salt leads to hypertension,
No, they don’t.
and if you have hypertension they recommend reducing your salt intake.
Many do because of previous education before more recent developments, in fact it’s not been proven that restricting salt in high BMI patients reduces blood pressure
You have cited NO studies. You cited an article, which didn't support your claim lol.
Two articles referencing extensive studies and which were published in reputable publications
So again, who to believe? Dozens of peer reviewed studies, along with the entire medical community, or a RWNJ on an anonymous internet forum?
🙄

So what? Peer review is not a guarantee of accuracy
lol
No, they don’t.
of course they do
Many do because of previous education before more recent developments, in fact it’s not been proven that restricting salt in high BMI patients reduces blood pressure
It has actually, as the numerous peer reviewed studies you've been given show.
Two articles referencing extensive studies and which were published in reputable publications
Nope. articles that don't even reach the conclusion you want them to. The entire medical community, vs a RWNJ on an anonymous internet forum? whom to believe lol

Iowa is a "food desert?"

Not sure I buy that.

That said, these restrictions don't make a whole lot of sense to me. Is there a link to an original article that talks about this, perhaps providing some idea of why these lawmakers are doing this?

I see neither economic nor nutritional benefit from them, save *maybe* the American cheese thing. But goodness, isn't this being incredibly petty - smacks of a bunch of bureaucrats with way too much time on their hands.
DES MOINES, Iowa —
The USDA classifies much of north and east Des Moines as a "food desert," an area characterized by low income paired with little access to retail outlets selling healthy and affordable foods. There are also food deserts on the city's south side and in Urbandale and West Des Moines.Jun 16, 2022

Des Moines residents discuss food deserts in the metro - KCCI​

"Iowa House Republicans are proposing restrictions on the state's SNAP benefits that could dramatically limit what foods recipients can get at the store. ...The new bill introduces cumbersome rules that dictate what families can or can't buy at the grocery stores, said Luke Elzinga, spokesperson for DMARC, a local food nonprofit. ... (it) also targets Medicaid and several other public assistance programs. Nearly 40 House Republicans have co-sponsored the bill.

Proposed restrictions:

• No white grains — people can only purchase 100% whole wheat bread, brown rice and 100% whole wheat pasta.
  • No baked, refried or chili beans — people can purchase black, red and pinto beans.
  • No fresh meats — people can purchase only canned products like canned tuna or canned salmon.
  • No sliced, cubed or crumbled cheese. No American cheese."
Link

Many poor people live in food deserts where it is hard to find a decent variety of foods. The purpose of this law just seems to be nasty to "the least of us,"
The pork, chicken and beef farms of Iowa will certaionly protest this. SNAP is agriculture welfare for farmers.

Back
Top Bottom