• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No more sliced cheese, white rice under proposed Iowa SNAP bill

j brown's body

"A Soros-backed animal"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
"Iowa House Republicans are proposing restrictions on the state's SNAP benefits that could dramatically limit what foods recipients can get at the store. ...The new bill introduces cumbersome rules that dictate what families can or can't buy at the grocery stores, said Luke Elzinga, spokesperson for DMARC, a local food nonprofit. ... (it) also targets Medicaid and several other public assistance programs. Nearly 40 House Republicans have co-sponsored the bill.

Proposed restrictions:

• No white grains — people can only purchase 100% whole wheat bread, brown rice and 100% whole wheat pasta.
  • No baked, refried or chili beans — people can purchase black, red and pinto beans.
  • No fresh meats — people can purchase only canned products like canned tuna or canned salmon.
  • No sliced, cubed or crumbled cheese. No American cheese."
Link

Many poor people live in food deserts where it is hard to find a decent variety of foods. The purpose of this law just seems to be nasty to "the least of us,"

"Iowa House Republicans are proposing restrictions on the state's SNAP benefits that could dramatically limit what foods recipients can get at the store. ...The new bill introduces cumbersome rules that dictate what families can or can't buy at the grocery stores, said Luke Elzinga, spokesperson for DMARC, a local food nonprofit. ... (it) also targets Medicaid and several other public assistance programs. Nearly 40 House Republicans have co-sponsored the bill.

Proposed restrictions:

• No white grains — people can only purchase 100% whole wheat bread, brown rice and 100% whole wheat pasta.
  • No baked, refried or chili beans — people can purchase black, red and pinto beans.
  • No fresh meats — people can purchase only canned products like canned tuna or canned salmon.
Link

Many poor people live in food deserts where it is hard to find a decent variety of foods. The purpose of this law just seems to be nasty to "the least of us,"

I wasn’t aware that states could limit (deviate from?) the federal definition of food items eligible for SNAP purchase, but that they could limit who is eligible and establish benefit amounts.

The only part of that that doesnt make sense is "no fresh meat".

Poor people still suffer from obesity, usually at higher rates than medium to upper income, becuase the cheaper food they eat often has higher calories and lower food value.

Additionally, it appears the intent of the legislation actually INCREASES the offered amount by partnering with federal agencies and standards

"To provide grants to support the double up food bucks 18 program administered by the Iowa healthiest state initiative 19 to make fresh fruits and vegetables sold at farmers markets, 20 grocery stores, and other participating locations accessible 21 to individuals and families who reside in this state and 22 receive assistance through the federal supplemental nutrition 23 assistance program"

Why do you want to see poor people fat and unhealthy?

Proposed restrictions:

Link

Didnt the very same folks fight back VEHEMENTLY against Michelle Obamas "healthy lunches" program?
Saying that those foods are foods that "kids dont want and wont eat"?

But....I'm confused now.
In any case, I dont care about this. Its not really a bad thing most likely, and I dont live in Idaho and never will if I can help it.

The only part of that that doesnt make sense is "no fresh meat".

Poor people still suffer from obesity, usually at higher rates than medium to upper income, becuase the cheaper food they eat often has higher calories and lower food value.

Additionally, it appears the intent of the legislation actually INCREASES the offered amount by partnering with federal agencies and standards

"To provide grants to support the double up food bucks 18 program administered by the Iowa healthiest state initiative 19 to make fresh fruits and vegetables sold at farmers markets, 20 grocery stores, and other participating locations accessible 21 to individuals and families who reside in this state and 22 receive assistance through the federal supplemental nutrition 23 assistance program"

Why do you want to see poor people fat and unhealthy?

Many poor people live in food deserts where it is hard to find a decent variety of foods.

The only part of that that doesnt make sense is "no fresh meat". Poor people still suffer from obesity, usually at higher rates than medium to upper income, becuase the cheaper food they eat often has higher calories and lower food value. Additionally, it appears the intent of the legislation actually INCREASES the offered amount by partnering with federal agencies and standards "To provide grants to support the double up food bucks 18 program administered by the Iowa healthiest state initiative 19 to make fresh fruits and vegetables sold at farmers markets, 20 grocery stores, and other participating locations accessible 21 to individuals and families who reside in this state and 22 receive assistance through the federal supplemental nutrition 23 assistance program" Why do you want to see poor people fat and unhealthy?
This bill doesn't alter the calorie mix. Beans are beans, the sauce included doesn't alter the calorie count enough to give a second thought. The bill eliminates tasty food for rather bland, unpopular foods, like whole wheat, brown rice.

The no fresh meat is the big red flag on the intent. Canned meat is super high in salt, a great contributor to high blood pressure- why do you want the food selections to kill people??? :cautious:

The bill may increase the flow of fresh foods (other than high protein meat) but the mechanism is vague at the very best. If that were the REAL intent why not just do that part of the bill and leave fresh meat alone???) More empty words to try and soften the blow eliminating healthy protein sources and substituting very bad sources (canned meat) or very poor selling products like whole wheat pasta (expensive as hell) or off tasting products like brown rice... :unsure:

Why do you pretend crap like this is designed to help poor people and their health??? ✌️

Proposed restrictions:

Link

Iowa is a "food desert?"

Not sure I buy that.

That said, these restrictions don't make a whole lot of sense to me. Is there a link to an original article that talks about this, perhaps providing some idea of why these lawmakers are doing this?

I see neither economic nor nutritional benefit from them, save *maybe* the American cheese thing. But goodness, isn't this being incredibly petty - smacks of a bunch of bureaucrats with way too much time on their hands.

Typical, those that scream personal responsibility and government interference in choice the loudest think they have the right to impose laws like this on those they feel they own.

Iowa is a "food desert?"

Not sure I buy that.

That said, these restrictions don't make a whole lot of sense to me. Is there a link to an original article that talks about this, perhaps providing some idea of why these lawmakers are doing this?

I see neither economic nor nutritional benefit from them, save *maybe* the American cheese thing. But goodness, isn't this being incredibly petty - smacks of a bunch of bureaucrats with way too much time on their hands.

sigh.

Many poor people live in food deserts.

This bill doesn't alter the calorie mix. Beans are beans, the sauce included doesn't alter the calorie count enough to give a second thought. The bill eliminates tasty food for rather bland, unpopular foods, like whole wheat, brown rice.

The no fresh meat is the big red flag on the intent. Canned meat is super high in salt, a great contributor to high blood pressure- why do you want the food selections to kill people??? :cautious:

The bill may increase the flow of fresh foods (other than high protein meat) but the mechanism is vague at the very best. If that were the REAL intent why not just do that part of the bill and leave fresh meat alone???) More empty words to try and soften the blow eliminating healthy protein sources and substituting very bad sources (canned meat) or very poor selling products like whole wheat pasta (expensive as hell) or off tasting products like brown rice... :unsure:

Why do you pretend crap like this is designed to help poor people and their health??? ✌️
You want free food?

I got yer free food right here, deadbeat!

Ok... I'm not a nutritionist...

No white grains? I think can understand that, but then no fresh meats?? Lol..

Contradiction to the nth degree...

Sounds like it's more about making people buy more expensive foods and less about nutrition..

I'm pretty sure those are the exact same restrictions that Jesus used on poor and hungry people.

I wasn’t aware that states could limit (deviate from?) the federal definition of food items eligible for SNAP purchase, but that they could limit who is eligible and establish benefit amounts.

Interesting
The following 10 states had the highest number of SNAP participants in 2021:

• California: 4,327,100
  • Texas: 3,408,400
  • Florida: 3,356,200
  • New York: 2,780,700
  • Illinois: 1,930,400
  • Pennsylvania: 1,766,700
  • Georgia: 1,640,600
  • North Carolina: 1,541,700
  • Ohio: 1,509,400
  • Michigan: 1,278,2004
I expected to find MS, Al and WV in there.

Proposed restrictions:

Link

#sad
In the name of healthier foods, let's make life even more difficult for the poor. Elected R's are pitiful excuses for people.

You want free food? I got yer free food right here, deadbeat!
I don't recall saying I want free food. I raise and sell cattle. Just sold just over 32K in beef at the sale barn.... :rolleyes:

I did comment on changing the foods available to those using EBT. The rather obvious attack on poorer folks by creating even poorer food choices and a vague idea of fresh veggies. Iowa grows a lot of meat so local producers will gain from continuing fresh meat availability and even increasing it.... :unsure:

Now behave and tuck your Rabid Right slurs back in... ✌️

They can't. Maine wanted to eliminate candy and soda pop, but they got told no.

I'm pretty sure those are the exact same restrictions that Jesus used on poor and hungry people.
The bill is being considered.
Ok, I find the fresh meat restriction questionable but think that a can of plain beans are better for you that baked beans with all the sugar and fat. A variety of beans like baked, refried etc doesn't point to food desert. Quite the opposite. Except for the meat, aren't we just talking about convenience food? Crumbled cheese vs chunk? What gets you more for your money? That means the Jesus lovers are still feeding the people.

Jesus multipled whole grain bread (probably) and canned fish (probably not).

“"It's these entitlement programs. They're the ones that are growing within the budget and are putting pressure on us being able to fund other priorities," House Speaker Pat Grassley said.”

A little better source.

The bill hasn’t even been discussed in a subcommittee yet so it sounds like it’s the opening bid by Republicans to reduce the spending. Drastic, yes, but I doubt this is where they expect to end up.

They can't. Maine wanted to eliminate candy and soda pop, but they got told no.
eliminating candy and soda would make sense.

I am not sure the restrictions listed in the OP largely do. What's wrong with cheese that is sliced vs unsliced?

Back
Top Bottom