• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No Man's Sky

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Is anyone here looking at this game? It sure sounds interesting having a game with trillions of planets to explore. In some ways it sounds like a really, really expanded version of the old Palm OS "Space Trader" game.

"Trillions of planets" is just a dumber way of saying "procedural generation."

The system might generate two completely identical planets except one single hill is located a mile north of the position of the same hill on the other planet. Technically these are two "different" planets to explore, but just how worthwhile those differences are is debatable.

That kind of marketing makes me inherently skeptical.

I understand that and figure it's a valid concern. I suppose that how diverse the planets are will depend on how many variables they're introducing. What really intrigues me is I get the impression that this will kind of be a multiplayer game in that when you discover a planet it's possible that another player has already been there (or is there) but with 18 Quintillion (according to one article) possible planets that's a mighty slim chance.

Granted, it would suck if you had 18 Quintillion versions of 10 different planets but the potential is there for something a whole lot better.

I understand that and figure it's a valid concern. I suppose that how diverse the planets are will depend on how many variables they're introducing. What really intrigues me is I get the impression that this will kind of be a multiplayer game in that when you discover a planet it's possible that another player has already been there (or is there) but with 18 Quintillion (according to one article) possible planets that's a mighty slim chance.

Granted, it would suck if you had 18 Quintillion versions of 10 different planets but the potential is there for something a whole lot better.

Dwarf Fortress should be the standard by which we judge procedurally generated content.

I swear, if you give that game 1000 game years to generate history you could dig through that history file and get a few hundred good Fantasy novels out of it.

so did any one try the game yet?

I was.. till I saw the price... **** it. No game withOUT a public preview or something is worth that much.. throw 60 euros out and then hate it? yea right...

Last edited:
"Trillions of planets" is just a dumber way of saying "procedural generation."

The system might generate two completely identical planets except one single hill is located a mile north of the position of the same hill on the other planet. Technically these are two "different" planets to explore, but just how worthwhile those differences are is debatable.

That kind of marketing makes me inherently skeptical.

I remember a handheld game console that said something like "128 different game modes," yet the differences among the 4-5 games were game speed, hue of the pixels, starting position, etc. The environment was nearly identical. :2razz:

Space Trader was enjoyable, I remember playing that for hours. Even though it's bizarrely simple, it has its nuances.

Someone shared this game in my news feed. It should be interesting. I typically don't play MMO's though, since they require a huge amount of time spent sitting at a console, which I can't afford.

I was.. till I saw the price... **** it. No game withOUT a public preview or something is worth that much.. throw 60 euros out and then hate it? yea right...

Welcome to the future...sigh. Don't forget pay to play after 60 for the content that should be in there in the first place. I mean...I don't know about NMS because it didn't really strike my fancy. But that is what happens when business men run it instead of gamers.

Sent from my grapefruit using smoke signals.

Is anyone here looking at this game? It sure sounds interesting having a game with trillions of planets to explore. In some ways it sounds like a really, really expanded version of the old Palm OS "Space Trader" game.

If I play it, I'll probably wait until I upgrade my rig (I'm actually planning on putting in a downpayment on a high-end Alienware laptop this payday, so it might be sooner than you'd think).

Honestly, however, even then, I might pass. I'm as big a fan of "open worlds" as the next guy, but when we start getting to the point of having games that you literally couldn't finish in a thousand lifetimes... Yeah... My eyes start to glaze over a bit. :lol:

There's got to be a plot and a storyline in there somewhere. If the thing's just going to eat my time to no end with no real pay off, that's kind of an issue. It's a big reason why I don't really play MMOs.

Dwarf Fortress should be the standard by which we judge procedurally generated content.

I swear, if you give that game 1000 game years to generate history you could dig through that history file and get a few hundred good Fantasy novels out of it.

Just a shame the game's learning curve is so damn steep.

iECXl.jpg

lol

Last edited:
If I play it, I'll probably wait until I upgrade my rig (I'm actually planning on putting in a downpayment on a high-end Alienware laptop this payday, so it might be sooner than you'd think).

Honestly, however, even then, I might pass. I'm as big a fan of "open worlds" as the next guy, but when we start getting to the point of having games that you literally couldn't finish in a thousand lifetimes... Yeah... My eyes start to glaze over a bit. :lol:

There's got to be a plot and a storyline in there somewhere. If the thing's just going to eat my time to no end with no real pay off, that's kind of an issue. It's a big reason why I don't really play MMOs.

Just a shame the game's learning curve is so damn steep.

iECXl.jpg

lol

I bought an Alienware laptop for gaming. It is great. But it weighs about 13 pounds. :)

I bought an Alienware laptop for gaming. It is great. But it weighs about 13 pounds. :)

Yeah... That's the one I'm going for too. A 17 incher, decked out to all of the highest specs they have available.

I'm glad they allow you to finance these things. I'm pretty sure I could buy a used car for the price they're asking. :lol:

I've been watching a play through on YouTube lately. It seems interesting, but I'm not sure about long term playability yet.
Yeah... That's the one I'm going for too. A 17 incher, decked out to all of the highest specs they have available.

I'm glad they allow you to finance these things. I'm pretty sure I could buy a used car for the price they're asking. :lol:
Why a laptop instead of a desktop?

I watched a live stream of someone playing this game and it looks really really boring. Very repetitious gameplay. All the space stations have the exact same layout. Just bleh.

I read it described as a vast beautiful ocean that's only 2 feet deep. Sums it up pretty well from what I saw.

I watched a live stream of someone playing this game and it looks really really boring. Very repetitious gameplay. All the space stations have the exact same layout. Just bleh.

I read it described as a vast beautiful ocean that's only 2 feet deep. Sums it up pretty well from what I saw.

To be fair, I'm sure they'll try and add to that with DLC. However, yeah... At the end of the day, the above analysis really doesn't surprise me. It doesn't matter how beautiful the graphics might happen to be, a game with "exploring" as its only real goal, selling point, and mechanic is never going to be much more than a passing novelty for most people.

Elite Dangerous was kind of the same way, tbh. It, at least, had more of a focus on trade, wealth building, and buying bigger and better ships for combat though. Does NMS even have that? It mostly just looks like landing on planets over and over again to gawk at the randomly generated wild-life.

I think "Star Citizen" will probably be the most well-rounded and playable game in this genre when (and if) it finally comes out, ironically enough. It might very well have the smallest universe of the three (only a few hundred stars or less vs the several billion of E:D, or the quintillions of NMS), but the devs are putting a lot more effort into making it feel unique, dynamic, and lived in.

In short, they're actually hand-crafting the game world instead of procedurally generating it. They're also including a real storyline. That looks promising.

Last edited:
To be fair, I'm sure they'll try and add to that with DLC. However, yeah... At the end of the day, the above analysis really doesn't surprise me. It doesn't matter how beautiful the graphics might happen to be, a game with "exploring" as its only real goal, selling point, and mechanic is never going to be much more than a passing novelty for most people.

Elite Dangerous was kind of the same way, tbh. It, at least, had more of a focus on trade, wealth building, and buying bigger and better ships for combat though. Does NMS even have that? It mostly just looks like landing on planets over and over again to gawk at the randomly generated wild-life.

I think "Star Citizen" will probably be the most well-rounded and playable game in this genre when (and if) it finally comes out, ironically enough. It might very well have the smallest universe of the three (only a few hundred stars or less vs the several billion of E:D, or the quintillions of NMS), but the devs are putting a lot more effort into making it feel unique, dynamic, and lived in.

In short, they're actually hand-crafting the game world instead of procedurally generating it. They're also including a real storyline. That looks promising.

Well said. A human can only explore so many areas. And you can only see so many things. Just think about our planet. Let alone a universe

Sent from my grapefruit using smoke signals.

I don't know about that. Diablo really didn't have much of a point after you finished the game other than killing stuff just to see what kind of loot dropped. That game did pretty well as I recall.

I don't know about that. Diablo really didn't have much of a point after you finished the game other than killing stuff just to see what kind of loot dropped. That game did pretty well as I recall.

Diablo involves killing things for loot though. :2razz:

Annnyway... Have you played the game yet? What's your opinion on it so far?

Diablo involves killing things for loot though. :2razz:

Annnyway... Have you played the game yet? What's your opinion on it so far?

I'm still at the office. I'll head home in a few minutes, eat some possibly poisonous soup, DL the game and should be able to give a review in the am.

It's buggy, not a lot to "do" and needs polish.

it's also relaxing, amusing, fun and "laid back gaming at it's best".

I like to have a bit more of an objective in my games. I used to be really into open world games but lately they bore me, and this seems like the pinnacle of open world. Even stuff like GTA and Skyrim I feel lack direction when I've played them recently. Might just be a phase I'm in but give me a linear but well crafted experience a la The Last of Us or Spec Ops The Line and I'll have a better time. (Although that said, I've sunk a fair few hours into Kerbal Space Program lately :D)

The talk I'm hearing from friends and internet reviewers is pretty much what I expected: tons of samey, unfinished-feeling rocks.

Back
Top Bottom