• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No jury should accept that Derek Chauvin was doing what he was trained to do

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

floyd_cop_sketch_.jpg

3/29/21
THE FIRST witness the prosecution called in the trial of the former Minneapolis police officer charged with the murder of George Floyd was a 911 dispatcher who watched the arrest unfold in real time on a surveillance camera. So long did the restraint go on that she wondered if the camera feed had frozen. “My instincts were telling me that something’s wrong,” she testified, explaining why she took the unusual step of reporting the officers’ use of force. Her instincts — as the world knows from its own viewing of video footage of the May 25 events at that Minneapolis street corner — proved to be terrifyingly and tragically accurate. Something is clearly wrong when an arrest for allegedly passing a counterfeit $20 bill ends up with a 46-year-old Black man gasping for air, pleading for help — and dying. Floyd’s death triggered nationwide protests and questioning about race, policing and social justice. A jury in Minnesota now faces one specific question: whether to hold Derek Chauvin, the officer who pinned Floyd under his knee for more than nine minutes — nine minutes and 29 seconds, to be exact — criminally responsible. He is charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter, and he faces up to 40 years in prison if convicted on the most serious charge.

Jerry W. Blackwell, one of the prosecutors, played the video during his opening arguments to drive home how Mr. Chauvin did not “let up” or “get up.” Floyd said 27 times he couldn’t breathe, and a crowd that formed called repeatedly on police to get up because it was clear Floyd was in distress. “While he’s crying out, Mr. Chauvin never moves,” the prosecutor told the jury. “You can believe your eyes, that it’s homicide, it’s murder.” Mr. Chauvin’s lawyer argued there is more to the case than the video, contending that Floyd’s death was caused by his underlying heart disease and drug use; he even blamed the crowd for posing a threat and diverting officers’ attention from Floyd. “You will learn,” said Eric J. Nelson, “that Derek Chauvin was doing exactly what he had been trained to do during the course of his 19-year career.” We hope no jury can accept that a police officer would be trained to be so willing to cause harm and so indifferent to human suffering.

The use of police force must be proportional to the threat/vigor of resistance.

No police force in this country trains its officers to apply deadly force to a prisoner that is unarmed, handcuffed, laying in a prone position, under the physical control of numerous police officers, and offering no resistance.

floyd_cop_sketch_.jpg

No police force in this country trains its officers to apply deadly force to a prisoner that is unarmed, handcuffed, laying in a prone position, under the physical control of numerous police officers, and offering no resistance.

I have former LEOs in my family and they have all said the same thing. Chauvin was wrong, and there is no ambiguity.

floyd_cop_sketch_.jpg

I concur, but the defense is standing on it so hard I wonder what the MSPPD has in their manual.

The authorized hold wouldn't be in the police manual if it was considered deadly force.

I concur, but the defense is standing on it so hard I wonder what the MSPPD has in their manual.
At least 2 have already testified that he violated police policy in his restraint on that maneuver. One was his supervising sergeant, the other is a 40 yr veteran lieutenant detective.

And then we have this:
--He would not allow the firefighter/EMT who came over, seeing GF in distress, to treat GF. She testified the first day.​
--He was told by crowd and at least one other cop that GF was non-responsive and had no pulse (twice)​
--He had to be told 3 times by the EMTs they did call arrived to get off GF. In the trial, they showed pics of them standing there with the gurney and Chauvin was still on GF.​

A blind man could see that Chauvin acted at minimum with depraved indifference (Murder 3).

The authorized hold wouldn't be in the police manual if it was considered deadly force.
So no police procedures can be abused? There's no such thing as a 'bad shoot?' Can suspects be beaten while in custody?

At least 2 have already testified that he violated police policy in his restraint on that maneuver. One was his supervising sergeant, the other is a 40 yr veteran lieutenant detective.

And then we have this:
--He would not allow the firefighter/EMT who came over, seeing GF in distress, to treat GF. She testified the first day.​
--He was told by crowd and at least one other cop that GF was non-responsive and had no pulse (twice)​
--He had to be told 3 times by the EMTs they did call arrived to get off GF. In the trial, they showed pics of them standing there with the gurney and Chauvin was still on GF.​

A blind man could see that Chauvin acted at minimum with depraved indifference (Murder 3).
Couldn't agree more. I think this case is so strong that Chauvin will be convicted, but the spectre of past police prosecutions worry me. If he is convicted, I'm also worried that if convicted, the urgent need for continued policing reform will be put aside. 'See, police are subject to prosecution'.

I love the picture.

Maybe Derick got the idea of using a knee from those he hates the most?

It was pay back for all those sports figures, taking a knee?

The defense wants to claim, the bystanders were a distraction to him. He couldn’t let up on Mr, Floyd.

If an officer is that scared, fearful, distracted should they be doing this job?

Coach pull your disfunctional players from the game......

Remember, Charles Haley?

This is not a comparison. A learning experience. Admit your faults, get help! Take responsibility for your actions.

With multiple charges to choose from, it seems there is no way they reach an innocent verdict.

The question is whether they get a any sort of murder conviction.

floyd_cop_sketch_.jpg

well you NEVER know what happens to a jury

but yes, nobody honest, edcuated and objective sees Chauvin as not guilty. muitiple videos, facts and evidence, medical reports, witnesses, testimony etc etc all adds up to him being guilty 🤷‍♂️

well you NEVER know what happens to a jury

but yes, nobody honest, edcuated and objective sees Chauvin as not guilty. muitiple videos, facts and evidence, medical reports, witnesses, testimony etc etc all adds up to him being guilty 🤷‍♂️
Let’s hope the jury heard your statements. To turn the page on history.

I think the jury feels the pressure, from society. They are listening, unlike the person who neglected to check on Mr.Floyd’s well being.....

Let’s hope the jury heard your statements. To turn the page on history.

I think the jury feels the pressure, from society. They are listening, unlike the person who neglected to check on Mr.Floyd’s well being.....
well the page definitely needs to be turned

Id hate to see the amount of positivity, unity and movements like BLM that came out of this and or grew from this horrific negative thing walked back
Id much rather unity and positive growth continue

Back
Top Bottom