• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No Hero--Kahn Got His Bronze Star Because He Was a MUSLIM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who insults fallen soldiers just to advance a bigoted political cause is not a real man.

The reverse is also true. Anyone who exploits fallen soldiers just to advance a political cause is the same.

Josie said:
Stop it. Kahn is a hero and Trump is a national disgrace.
Half right. Kahn was a soldier who gave his life for America's foolish interventionism, and Trump is a national disgrace.

Whether or not you agree with the decision to invade Iraq is irrelevant to the question of Kahn's personal bravery.

The Trump attack bots are out in force....

Thus far, here, I've only seen Vox sink this low (I'm sure it'll trickle around the TrumpNet and we'll get more). The others are still too busy investigating Mr Kahn's ties to the Muslim Brotherhood, the 9/11 attacks, and insidious plots to destroy America :roll:

You realize, of course, that none of that, true or not, has any bearing at all on whether Khan did or did not deserve his medal.

Yes, there are two issues.

1. He did not deserve the medal.

2. Muslims are awarded posthumous Bronze Stars at a disproportionate level to the rest of the military.

I don't know. It seems Vox is the only one pushing this nonsenical narrative that Khan wasn't a hero.

I'm the only one who has done the research.

And here I share it first with you and you don't appreciate it?

Yes, there are two issues.

1. He did not deserve the medal.

2. Muslims are awarded posthumous Bronze Stars at a disproportionate level to the rest of the military.

based on what evidence?

I'm the only one who has done the research.

And here I share it first with you and you don't appreciate it?

What ****ing research, Vox?

All I see you doing is attacking Khan.

The article doesn't support the OP.

From the article:

Captain Humayun Khan: Posthumous star of DNC
The Pakistani-American was 27 when a taxi loaded with explosives blew up at his compound on June 8 2004.
He ordered those around him to take cover as the taxi drove through the glass gates of the base in Baquba, Iraq.
Captain Khan had taken 10 steps forward when it exploded, killing him but not the others, whose lives he effectively saved.

Why walk toward it? And how did he 'effectively save' any lives? By telling them to take cover? I think Trump is a loon...but this has PC written all over it.

What ****ing research, Vox?

All I see you doing is attacking Khan.

I'm not sure what gain is supposed to come from this argument.

Does discrediting the solider somehow vindicate Trumps comments?

Trump made no comment on the son.

Well it probably accounts for some of it. My bet would also be that you see Muslim overrepresentation in the officer ranks, which is the actual identity group division that you should be looking for.

Kahn, by all accounts, acted bravely in the face of danger, protecting others by endangering his own life. To attack that in order to try to deflect trouble for a political candidate is vile, it is disgusting, and it is beyond the ****ing pale. I've been one of this forum's strongest, most active, and most consistent conservatives - I want nothing to do with a party that would spit on my fallen brothers like that.

You're embellishing what happened.

Official reports are not so full of praise.

Captain Humayun S. M. Khan, 27, of Bristow, Virginia, died June 8, 2004, in Baquabah, Iraq, after a vehicle packed with an improvised explosive device drove into the gate of his compound while he was inspecting soldiers on guard duty.

When an orange-colored taxi drove toward them, Khan ordered his soldiers to "hit the dirt," said his father, who received details of his son's death from his commanding officer.

Khan walked toward the car, motioning for it to stop, his father said. A makeshift bomb inside it exploded, killing him and two Iraqi civilians in addition to the two suicide bombers. Ten soldiers and six Iraqi citizens were also wounded, the Army said.

The father embellishes on the official report.

Nothing heroic here, just poor judgement.

Medals are given for merit and they are given for political purposes, sometimes both. It just doesn't matter what medals he was awarded, not to this issue. He's a hero for most of us in a general sense - where all those who step forward to serve, and do so faithfully, pay the highest cost, are heroes.

However, this isn't at all about the hero of the story, it's about his parents using his death, what he did, to take a political stand. To endorse a political candidate. It's about what Trump actually said as opposed to what the headlines and partisan asshats are twisting what he said into their own script.

And to me that is the worst form of stolen valor. Parents do not assume their children's achievements. And the anti-Trumpeteers are using our hero to further slander Trump.

True, but that his bravery would not have been needed at all. Hero is a word we overuse, imho.

I'm fine with agreeing that hero is a word we overuse. I'm not worried about us using it for a man who ordered others to safety while he went to deal with a potential car-bomb himself.

You're embellishing what happened.

Official reports are not so full of praise.

The father embellishes on the official report.

Nothing heroic here, just poor judgement.

Yeah. So let us know when you bother to look up the Bronze Star citation to get the actual source material. In the meantime, unless you are one of the most effective POE's to hit this site that I've seen, you may want to stop making a jackass of yourself.

Right.

The reason his was unearned was because he walked toward a car bomber when he should have taken cover and engaged the car with his weapon.

Walking toward the car served no purpose and would not deter the driver at all. Opening fire on the car, on the other hand, could have prevented the explosion (which did kill and wound other personnel).

Who the fk are you to question this award 12 years later? Where you there? Do you have video? How the hell do you know that opening fire could have prevented the explosion, or that walking towards the car served no purpose? What are your sources? Do you think his fellow soldiers and whoever signed his award application are all GD liars, and why would they lie?

I'm not calling you a liar, although you have no problem calling others you don't know the same thing, but it's hard to believe a retired veteran would pull baseless crap from his rear end to smear a dead soldier who was doing his job and got killed doing it.

I'm fine with agreeing that hero is a word we overuse. I'm not worried about us using it for a man who ordered others to safety while he went to deal with a potential car-bomb himself.

Wait...so he purposely kept his guys back and approached the car alone? I wonder if that's the SOP? Or maybe they didn't know it was rigged?

Medals are given for merit and they are given for political purposes, sometimes both. It just doesn't matter what medals he was awarded, not to this issue. He's a hero for most of us in a general sense - where all those who step forward to serve, and do so faithfully, pay the highest cost, are heroes.

However, this isn't at all about the hero of the story,

Actually this thread is specifically about the attempt to protect Trump by diverting to attacking the hero of the story and denigrating his service.

it's about his parents using his death, what he did, to take a political stand. To endorse a political candidate. It's about what Trump actually said as opposed to what the headlines and partisan asshats are twisting what he said into their own script.

And to me that is the worst form of stolen valor. Parents do not assume their children's achievements. And the anti-Trumpeteers are using our hero to further slander Trump.

Yeah. Until Republicans are willing to be equally upset and outraged by the GOP putting up Patricia Smith, I'm going to take this position with a grain of salt the size of Kansas.

Why walk toward it? And how did he 'effectively save' any lives? By telling them to take cover? I think Trump is a loon...but this has PC written all over it.

Exactly.

No doubt they were already taking cover and his proper command would have been to open fire on the car and perhaps stop the driver from detonating the explosive.

INSTEAD......he walked toward the car.......protecting no one and getting himself killed for nothing.

BTW.......I think Trump is a loon, too.

Wait...so he purposely kept his guys back and approached the car alone? I wonder if that's the SOP? Or maybe they didn't know it was rigged?

I don't know if that was unit SOP or not,.

You usually don't "know" if a car is rigged or not - it just kind of looks and acts like it. You can err in both directions by consistently applying wise ways of telling. One of the troubles with fighting those who hide among civilians.

Vox said:
No doubt they were already taking cover and his proper command would have been to open fire on the car and perhaps stop the driver from detonating the explosive.

Yeah. VBIED's don't self identify with flashing signs, and if you just shot up orange taxis in Iraq, you'd only accomplish murdering a crap ton of people.

Obviously, the OP information is incomplete. Apparently Captain Khan ordered his soldiers to seek cover near the entrance to a base as the car bomb laden taxi drove toward a nearby mess hall filled with hundreds of soldiers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/khizr-khans-loss-a-grieving-father-of-a-soldier-struggles-to-understand/2016/07/28/18e8139a-552d-11e6-bbf5-957ad17b4385_story.html

Exactly.

INSTEAD......he walked toward the car.......protecting no one and getting himself killed for nothing.

BTW.......I think Trump is a loon, too.

I wonder what the SOP in a case like this is? Oh, well...at least we agree that Trump should have kept his mouth shut about it. Although having a son that dies on duty doesn't inoculate the family IF they attack him first....does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom