• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No difference between straight/gay love

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I have long wondered why in a certain Asian country there has never been that deranged hatred and fear of male homosexuality that has long existed in the West.

In fact, an American anthropologist in 1946 had described that "certain" country's society as "homoerotic."

Today I may have discovered at least part of the reason.

A contemporary artist from that country claims that there was NO difference between heterosexual and homosexual love "before Western incursions."

I assume that the phrase "Western incursions" includes Western missionaries coming to that country in order to bring the Bible's message.

I have purposely been as oblique as possible. I realize that even in 2019, this subject makes many people, even liberals, somewhat uncomfortable.

My source: The Los Angeles Times, January 6, 2019, "Arts & Books" section, pages 1 and 8. The author reviews a book entitled Ravens and Red Lipstick.

Last edited:
I have long wondered why in a certain Asian country there has never been that deranged hatred and fear of male homosexuality that has long existed in the West.

In fact, an American anthropologist in 1946 had described that "certain" country's society as "homoerotic."

A contemporary artist from that country claims that there was NO difference between heterosexual and homosexual love "before Western incursions."

I assume that the phrase "Western incursions" includes Western missionaries coming to that country in order to bring the Bible's message.

I have purposely been as oblique as possible. I realize that even in 2019, this subject makes many people, even liberals, somewhat uncomfortable.

My source: The Los Angeles Times, January 6, 2019, "Arts & Books" section, pages 1 and 8. The author reviews a book entitled Ravens and Red Lipstick.
Red:
Simple:

tumblr_nhxqx9RGUC1qhxazgo1_500.png

From my observations in various Asian countries, the matter is handled -- be it disdain, approbation or indifference toward homosexuality -- on a personal level. There's just no need to make a governmental issue out of it.

Attributed to Benjamin Franklin, explaining why to take an older woman to bed, but appears in John Heywood's book of proverbs (1546) as 'When all candles be out, all cats be grey.'— from the Wikipedia page

Before the year 2033 we will have a new constitution that gives everyone equal rights in law and marriage. We can allow sister and brother or father and daughter marriage. We can allow more than one spouse based on religious faith. We can give a minor freedom of faith and allow them to marry someone over 16. It will be labeled (LBGTWXYZ) Since their is no such religion in the state called morality.

If you're referring to the romantic feelings a straight couple feels toward each other is the same as the way a gay couple feels about each other, then I agree 100% there is no difference.

What was I supposed to be made to feel uncomfortable about, I don't get your reference.

Exactly. Heathen savages may not know God disapproves of sodomy if they never hear the Word of God preached.

What was I supposed to be made to feel uncomfortable about, I don't get your reference.

Some people are offended by this topic so I had to walk on eggshells.

See posts #4 and #6, for example.

Have a nice day!

Some people are offended by this topic so I had to walk on eggshells.

See posts #4 and #6, for example.

Have a nice day!

You don't have to. I honestly don't care if anyone on here is offended by the topic. I'm not ashamed of being gay, and I'm not going to back down or placate to those that see people like me as perverted or diseased. And I agree with your OP. Gay love is no different than straight love. We just happen to play for the same team. :)

You don't have to. I honestly don't care if anyone on here is offended by the topic. I'm not ashamed of being gay, and I'm not going to back down or placate to those that see people like me as perverted or diseased. And I agree with your OP. Gay love is no different than straight love. We just happen to play for the same team. :)

Hear, hear! Second the "I'm not ashamed to be gay". If people don't like it, they can .... well I'm sure they can imagine what I'm telling them to do.

I'm here, I'm queer, get used to it. Or don't. No skin off my back.

Yes - there is zero difference between gay love and straight love. The only difference is the ones that people want to make of it.

Exactly. Heathen savages may not know God disapproves of sodomy if they never hear the Word of God preached.

Which god is that again? the one older than the Christian god, or are we strictly talking the Christian god here?

In some places in the world, the heathen savages would be the people in the US. Just sayin'.

No, I don't think there is any difference in the feelings, bond, and commitment experienced by gay couples and heterosexual couples.

I disagree that romantic love is the same. With heteros they dream of having each others' children and that's a huge part of a relationship. One of the biggest, in fact. The family genes, DNA and all that. The thoughts and dreams of perpetuating your partner's life with your own and creating a whole new life is *very* romantic and is something that you cannot possibly replicate, reproduce or duplicate in a homosexual relationship.

I disagree that romantic love is the same. With heteros they dream of having each others' children and that's a huge part of a relationship. One of the biggest, in fact. The family genes, DNA and all that. The thoughts and dreams of perpetuating your partner's life with your own and creating a whole new life is *very* romantic and is something that you cannot possibly replicate, reproduce or duplicate in a homosexual relationship.

Is it really though? Because most married (straight) couples I know now have no desire to have kids. So I'm fairly positive you're reaching here to find some bull**** difference that makes no sense or matter whatsoever.

Gay couples can have children, too. And even couples that choose not to have kids (which plenty of straight couples also choose to do, a good lot of them), that doesn't make it any less fufulling than anyone else's relationship. Plus, plenty of gay couples adopt, or have surrogate mothers, or get pregnant through artificial insemination.

I disagree that romantic love is the same. With heteros they dream of having each others' children and that's a huge part of a relationship. One of the biggest, in fact.

The mistake you make here is that you speak as though you represent all heterosexuals and you don't.

I'm hetero, in a long term relationship for many years now. I love my man but I don't want his or anybody elses kids. As somebody who fundamentally cannot tolerate children finding them highly irritating, I realise it would be wrong for me to reproduce. I am not alone, believe me.

Every child should be a wanted child, hence if a gay couple has that commitment to parenthhood they should go for it and be aided in their mission. Wanted children are loved children, and that's what matters.

So infertile heterosexuals can't feel romantic love?

Homosexuals reproduce all the time.

What are you babbling about?

I'm willing to bet The Western issue with homosexual men dates back to Constantine.

Gay couples can have children, too. And even couples that choose not to have kids (which plenty of straight couples also choose to do, a good lot of them), that doesn't make it any less fufulling than anyone else's relationship. Plus, plenty of gay couples adopt, or have surrogate mothers, or get pregnant through artificial insemination.

I don't know who spread the myth that gay people are sterile but it's rather absurd. Good post governess ��

We need to define what love means and I know the meaning is different for each of us. Humans are individuals, we have our differences and many things shape us to be the individuals we are. Homosexuality has been taboo for many years in many cultures but I feel it's humans themselves who have decided it was a mental illness, weird, strange etc and not acceptable, not God. Many different reasons for humans to decide homosexuality wasn't or isn't acceptable. If a person is sexually attracted to the same sex, both sex's or just the opposite sex, it's obviously the way it's suppose to be for that person. As far as love being the same for a heterosexual and a homosexual, love is different for every individual, so it's different for all people, no matter their choice of a partner. Sex is sex but it takes on a different meaning depending on the way you feel about the person you're having sex with whether you're homosexual, bi-sexual or heterosexual. It is possible there are humans that have sex and emotion just doesn't enter into it. Like I've stated we're all individuals and have our differences.

One difference: Sex between men and women creates life; sex between men and men creates disease and death.
Yes, Asian countries are more tolerant about sex. In some places, you can buy any kind of sex you want with anyone as young as you want.

One difference: Sex between men and women creates life; sex between men and men creates disease and death.
Yes, Asian countries are more tolerant about sex. In some places, you can buy any kind of sex you want with anyone as young as you want.

873.jpg

Don't be so stupid. STDs affect everyone.

Back
Top Bottom