• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No COLA for Disabled Vets - Again

You missed the Rev's point. He is saying (I believe) that military retirees COLA payments are tied to SS recipient's COLA raises. Why are SS recipients getting a $250. bribe, (err, I mean check) as Obama is proposing and not milatary retirees?

Personally I believe, even though it affects my family's income, that COLAs should not be paid if not warranted, but I also believe that bribes to old folks is just a cheap trick right before an election.

i don't think anybody is likely to change their vote for 250 bucks.

I'd ask Scooter Libby (what kind of man has scooter as a name?), but he's too busy trashing America's heroes in the CIA.

What make you think i give a **** about scooter libby? You are going to be "that guy" arent you?

Got a name ??

An all American jury found Scooter Libby guilty on four of the five counts he was charged with. Scooetr Libby was convicted of obstruction, perjury and lying to the FBI. His sentence was commuted by his good friend President Bush. Bush refuused the Vice Presdident's pleas to give Scooter a pardon. Why? Timeline: The CIA Leak Case : NPR

An all American jury found Scooter Libby guilty on four of the five counts he was charged with. Scooetr Libby was convicted of obstruction, perjury and lying to the FBI. His sentence was commuted by his good friend President Bush. Bush refuused the Vice Presdident's pleas to give Scooter a pardon. Why? Timeline: The CIA Leak Case : NPR
I think someone's having an "I ♥ LAMP" moment ... :doh

Stop derailing my tbread with your partisan crap.

First, it is NOT your thread.

Second, "What make you think i give a **** about your claims? You are going to be "that guy" arent you? "

First, it is NOT your thread.

Second, "What make you think i give a **** about your claims? You are going to be "that guy" arent you? "

Uhm who started it?

This thread is about no cola to disabled vets but a 250 bribe to seniors. Anything on the topic?

Uhm who started it?

This thread is about no cola to disabled vets but a 250 bribe to seniors. Anything on the topic?
I will reply to how people post to me. You do NOT own any thread here. With these posts you youurself are guilty of derailing the thread.

See how easy it is?

That's all very nice and also true, but nothing there about him "trashing" anyone. I suggest you actually read up on the subject before spouting off about things you know nothing about.

And that's enough off-topic discussion. If you want to be embarrassed further, start a thread.

That's all very nice and also true, but nothing there about him "trashing" anyone. I suggest you actually read up on the subject before spouting off about things you know nothing about.

And that's enough off-topic discussion. If you want to be embarrassed further, start a thread.

Will I be allowed to? Start my own thread for the purposes of being embarrassed?

Moderator's Warning:
The topic is COLA and disabled veterans. Focus on THAT.

Uhm who started it?

This thread may be about no cola to disabled vets but the very idea that bribe was paid to seniors is offensive. Bribes are illegal.

Uhm who started it?

This thread may be about no cola to disabled vets but the very idea that bribe was paid to seniors is offensive. Bribes are illegal.

You missed the Rev's point. He is saying (I believe) that military retirees COLA payments are tied to SS recipient's COLA raises. Why are SS recipients getting a $250. bribe, (err, I mean check) as Obama is proposing and not milatary retirees?

Well, it sounds like it's Pelosi's proposal, not Obama's...but in any case, it's a separate issue from COLA.

Gill said:
Personally I believe, even though it affects my family's income, that COLAs should not be paid if not warranted, but I also believe that bribes to old folks is just a cheap trick right before an election.

It wouldn't be voted on until after the election (and in any case, it has no chance of passing.) But I agree it would be a waste of money.

Military retirement pay is not the same as disability pay.....
Retirement pay is based on active duty pay charts, so if the military gets a 2% raise, retirees do as well.
Disability pay tends to go up every year, but not always...
I could be wrong...

Military retirement pay is not the same as disability pay.....
Retirement pay is based on active duty pay charts, so if the military gets a 2% raise, retirees do as well.
Disability pay tends to go up every year, but not always...
I could be wrong...

You are correct.... you are wrong. :lol:

Military retirement increases are tied to COLA. We get a military retirement check every month. No increase last year, but each year the COLA goes up, the retirement check goes up the same percentage.

2011 COLA Watch: The Federal Government announced that the 2011 Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) for military retirees, disabled veterans, and social security recipients will be zero for the second year in a row.
2011 COLA for Retired Pay - Military Benefits - Military.com

You are correct.... you are wrong. :lol:

Military retirement increases are tied to COLA. We get a military retirement check every month. No increase last year, but each year the COLA goes up, the retirement check goes up the same percentage.

2011 COLA for Retired Pay - Military Benefits - Military.com

Sounds like COLA is better than following active duty pay, as long as we have inflation higher than active duty pay raises.
I have been drawing a reserve retiree check for 3.5 years, haven't noticed the changes and don't have bank records back that far. Starting next month, I should start getting VA compensation for AO related Parkinson's Disease....my paperwork is in, haven't heard if I qualify, or what the percentage will be...

Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains. and if you are a libertarian, you have neither...:2razz:

Last edited:
Is this how we treat our disabled war fighters? This is a disgrace. If anything, this should be codified in law, and in future enlistment contracts that this money is hands off.

yup; BAH is going down in some area's, too. pay is still being increased, i think mine's going to go up about 30 bucks a month.

COLA is supposed to be tied to prices. prices don't go up, COLA doesn't go up.

everyone hates entitlements until it's their ox being gored ;)

yup; BAH is going down in some area's, too. pay is still being increased, i think mine's going to go up about 30 bucks a month.

COLA is supposed to be tied to prices. prices don't go up, COLA doesn't go up.

everyone hates entitlements until it's their ox being gored ;)

I won't be complaining, the wife and I have ample income and assets, and only a little debt...

Back
Top Bottom