• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No COLA for Disabled Vets - Again

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
No COLA for Disabled Vets - Again

Officials announced that the 2011 Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) for military retirees, disabled veterans, and social security recipients will be zero for the the second year in a row.

Veterans Report - No COLA for Disabled Vets - Again

Is this how we treat our disabled war fighters? This is a disgrace. If anything, this should be codified in law, and in future enlistment contracts that this money is hands off.

Doesn't the cost of living (consumer price index) have to go up to get a Cost Of Living Allowance?

Is this how we treat our disabled war fighters? This is a disgrace. If anything, this should be codified in law, and in future enlistment contracts that this money is hands off.

if the cost of living didn't go up, why should they get a raise?

Don't worry. With all of the "former" anti-war radicals surrounding the President, soon it will be legal to eat them.

Mischaracterized by the OP. It's not "no COLA adjustment." This year, the COLA was zero, because cost of living didn't change according to the established method of measure. Arguing that they should get one anyway is just trying to pull emotional strings to win political brownie points.

When figuring the COLA the increases in the past 12 months in energy they don't count.

According to the OMB the 2009 budget Contained about 9,287 pork projects at a cost of nearly $13 billion.

There is your COLA for our HEROES. It's up to us "WE THE PEOPLE" not just Conservatives, or Liberals or Agnostics, Libertarians, Independents, Green Party members, ALL REAL AMERICANS who believe in what America truly stands for, not what some men and women have turned it into from time to time, but what it is meant to stand for to insure that our HEROES are taken care of not shuttled off to some corner and forgotten because we hate war or blame Bush for the war Congress Voted for. These men and women did their duty and followed orders damn it.

Let your Senators and Congresspeople know they will pay the price for not taking care of these wonderful people.

I know it won't matter to your Senators if you're in California or few other States but till the bums and bitches anyway.

Last edited:
When figuring the COLA the increases in the past 12 months in energy they don't count.

According to the OMB the 2009 budget Contained about 9,287 pork projects at a cost of nearly $13 billion.

There is your COLA for our HEROES. It's up to us "WE THE PEOPLE" not just Conservatives, or Liberals or Agnostics, Libertarians, Independents, Green Party members, ALL REAL AMERICANS who believe in what America truly stands for, not what some men and women have turned it into from time to time, but what it is meant to stand for to insure that our HEROES are taken care of not shuttled off to some corner and forgotten because we hate war or blame Bush for the war Congress Voted for. These men and women did their duty and followed orders damn it.

Let your Senators and Congresspeople know they will pay the price for not taking care of these wonderful people.

I know it won't matter to your Senators if you're in California or few other States but till the bums and bitches anyway.

Jeepers Creepers!! It's just a Cost of Living Allowance. And the way the gvmt figures it, nobody gets one this year. It's not the end of the world.

However, now that I've said that, how 'bout those government employees? They gettin' raises?

Edit: Thought I'd answer my own question.

UPDATE:
On July 29, 2010, the Senate Appropriations Committee passed the Fiscal 2011 Financial Services and General Government spending bill which included a 1.4 percent 2011 federal pay raise -- the same figure that President Obama requested earlier this year for the General Schedule 2011 (GS) pay scale.

The determination of the annual federal employee pay raise is a long process, and the final figures for the 2011 GS pay scale won't be released likely until December 2010.
http://www.myfederalretirement.com/public/569.cfm

Huh! Not 'til after the election...

Last edited:

I don't believe that to be correct, but I could be wrong.

The reason there is no COLA increase this year is that a few years ago, they recieved a large COLA increase. The CPI dropped since then. They will not recieve an increase until the CPI increases to a level above where it was when they received the last COLA increase.

If the cost of living isn't higher, why should they recieve a COLA? Just because it's an emotional issue for some?

Last edited:
I don't believe that to be correct, but I could be wrong.

The reason there is no COLA increase this year is that a few years ago, they recieved a large COLA increase. The CPI dropped since then. They will not recieve an increase until the CPI increases to a level above where it was when they received the last COLA increase.

If the cost of living isn't higher, why should they recieve a COLA? Just because it's an emotional issue for some?

Sortof, but the emotion isn't the reason, it's the method. It's a political stick to attack the Democrats with.

The purpose of a Cost of Living Adjustment is to make sure that they don't have any less purchasing power due to inflation. With inflation being as low as it is, chances are there hasn't been much of an increase in the cost of living in the past year...if anything, it's probably actually declined.

i'm just saying the formula they use they aren't getting a raise. if you have a probem with the formula, we can discuss that. but i don't see the point of giving them a raise just to give them a raise. many, many businesses haven't given raises this year as well.

You missed the Rev's point. He is saying (I believe) that military retirees COLA payments are tied to SS recipient's COLA raises. Why are SS recipients getting a $250. bribe, (err, I mean check) as Obama is proposing and not milatary retirees?

Personally I believe, even though it affects my family's income, that COLAs should not be paid if not warranted, but I also believe that bribes to old folks is just a cheap trick right before an election.

are you arguing for a decrease in military welfare benefits?

Maybe you should ask scooby doo. :doh

I'd ask Scooter Libby (what kind of man has scooter as a name?), but he's too busy trashing America's heroes in the CIA.

I'd ask Scooter Libby (what kind of man has scooter as a name?), but he's too busy trashing America's heroes in the CIA.
Maybe you should ask Julius Caesar. He had an army.

Oh wait, he's dead.

Really? Who did he trash ??

Back
Top Bottom